Cannot sync vault on Dropbox now that I am on version 7 on Mac

mikehermary
mikehermary
Community Member

Hello,

I just updated to 1Password 7 on my Mac and I was able to sync one of my vaults, but I am unable to sync the second vault. The option for accessing vaults and syncing them is not available in the apps preferences in version 7. How do I go about syncing this second vault into 1Password?

Cheers,

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - sorry for the trouble! It sounds as if 1Password might be in Read Only mode -- could this be the case? Have a look at any of your items in the main 1Password window. Is there a badge in the upper-right corner that says "Read Only?" If so, that's because as a completely new, full-version upgrade (not just another in-version update), 1Password 7 for Mac requires either a 1password.com membership/account, or the purchase of a new standalone license for the new version.

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars 1Password is not in read-only mode. I purchased a 1Password.com license yesterday, but the issues still remain. Would it matter that I am using the trial mode?

The preferences window in 1Password 7.2.4 for macOS has no tab for syncing.

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - there is no trial of 1Password 7 for Mac specifically, only of 1password.com accounts. All 1password.com accounts come with a 30-day trial. That means (if you're in trial mode) that you've created a 1password.com membership/account, which is NOT the same thing as a standalone license. There are currently two ways to use 1Password:

With a 1Password account:

• You sign up for an account at the main 1Password  sign-up page.
    • Your subscription includes the 1Password apps across all platforms, with all updates and upgrades for as long as your account is active.
    • Once you sign in to your account in 1Password on a new device, all of your data is instantly available - no need to set up third-party sync.

As a standalone product:

• You purchase licenses for each platform separately.
    • These licenses include all in-version updates, but a major version upgrade (such as 1Password 7) may require a paid upgrade.
    • You create local 1Password vaults, and if you like, choose how to sync your data. You can set up sync using a third party service (like Dropbox or iCloud.) If you do not set up sync, your data will remain only on your device.

1Password accounts also include access to your data via a web browser, and per-item backups so you always have a safe copy of your data off of your devices, and can roll back to a previous version of an item if a change is accidentally made.

Do you know which of these things you purchased?

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars I am running the 1Password.com account on my Mac.

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - thanks for the additional information. If you're using a 1password.com account in 1Password for Mac, then that's the reason you can't see a Sync tab: because 1password.com accounts sync via the 1password.com servers, not any third party sync service such as Dropbox or iCloud. Do you have older, standalone vaults you need to import into your 1password.com account?

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars Yes, I have a second "Clients" vault that needs to be imported. Currently I am using my iPhone to display the passwords in large type and entering them on my MacBook, but I need a solution.

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - when you created your 1password.com account, how did you go about it? Was it in the context of upgrading to 1Password 7 for Mac? Or did you visit 1password.com and create an account on the web? If you did it while also upgrading from version 6 to version 7, the first-run/upgrade process should've imported all your previous vault data, right into your new account.

If that did not happen, or you created your 1password.com account some other way/time, then can I ask: do you have all of your old standalone 1Password data inside of version 6 of 1Password?

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars I downloaded the 1Password 7 for Mac app, then went through the process detailed in the app to upgrade to the 1Password.com subscription plan. During the upgrade and import, it only allowed me to choose one vault at a time. After the first vault was imported, the option to import another was no longer available.

I no longer have 1Password 6 installed on my computer, just on my iPhoneXs. I still have the vaults stored on my Dropbox account, which I could import from if there is a work around.

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - OK. Are the Dropbox sync keychains in the Agile Keychain format, or the OPVault format? If they're in Agile Keychain format, you should be able to do the following:

1. Create a new vault in your 1password.com account. Call it whatever you like (e.g. "Clients").
    2. In 1Password 7 for Mac, click File > Import and choose the top option ("1Password Keychain"), then navigate in the pop-up window to the appropriate Agile Keychain in your Dropbox folder, and import it that way -- make sure to choose the "Clients" vault as the destination.

If your Dropbox sync keychains are in OPVault format, let me know and we'll have to do it a different way.

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars I have both available. I originally imported the Personal.opvault and would like to just import the Clients.opvault, but could import the agilekeychain file if that is easier.

Cheers,

• wunnspeed
    wunnspeed
    Community Member

I'm flailing in this same universe... unfortunately. Last weekend, I killed my laptop and now I'm, attempting.... very unsuccessfully, to import various vaults into my new 1Password. Honestly, it's almost like the one I have on my iMac is a completely different 1Password app. It was relatively easy in the past to attach and use the vaults I sync via iCloud and Dropbox. Now, suddenly, it seems there's so much emphasis on subscriptions/accounts that those of us with standalone apps are left in the wind. I've now spent 5 hours trying to figure out how to get to my Dropbox and iCloud vaults only to be told on attempted import that they can't be imported to a personal vault. What?!!!! It appears that I'll soon be either forced to go subscription (a system I despise) or look for a new password protection app. Obviously, I'm highly frustrated and it would be great if anyone had any advice.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - yep, you'll want to use the Agile Keychain, assuming it has a complete and up-to-date copy of the data in that vault, as 1Password 7 for Mac's import mechanism has a built-in process for Agile Keychain (since that format is being retired), but not (yet) for OPVault. So, if you have the Agile Keychain handy, and it's a complete copy of the "Clients" vault data, then do this:

1. In 1Password 7 for Mac, choose File > New Vault. Call it "Clients" (or whatever).
    2. Click File > Import
    3. Select the top option, "1Password Keychain."
    4. In the pop-up, make sure to choose the "Clients" vault you created in Step 1 as the destination, then use the navigation to find the older Agile Keychain for the previous Clients vault, and import it.

Let me know how that works for you. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Welcome to the forum, @wunnspeed! I'm sorry for the trouble. Without a little closer look into your specific setup and some explanation about what steps specifically you've taken and what's not working the way you think it should, it's hard to say what might be the case. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#XHE-21362-275]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @Wunnspeed only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: XHE-21362-275

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the steps to import the keychain. Would that import have included everything found in my 1Password database? My personal account was previously imported using the initial import process. Is there a simple way to find and clean up duplicates if they exist? Also, what steps should I take on my iPhone to ensure it uses the new 1Password.com subscription and database instead of using Dropbox?

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - yes, it should've imported everything in the "Clients" vault. There's a duplicate finder feature at Tools > Clean Up Duplicates, but it will only work on a per-vault basis; you can't run it while in the All Vaults view. And it's designed very conservatively; unless two things are 100% duplicates, 1Password will not make choices about your data. That means you may have some manual clean-up to do. These steps are how to set up additional devices, once you've made the migration of data on the first device. Hope that helps, but let us know if you have any questions.

• mikehermary
    mikehermary
    Community Member

@Lars Thanks for the tips. I have everything sorted out now.

Cheers,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikehermary - awesome! Glad I was able to help point you in the right direction. :)

This discussion has been closed.