1Password extension no longer works after Chrome update

Chrome for Windows automatically updated to v72.0.3626.96 and now 1Password extension no longer works. No error messages, it just won't open 1Password nor prompt for saving a new password. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the 1Password extension but it still doesn't work.

1Password Version: 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Windows
Sync Type: local

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Kelvin,

Thank you for reaching out!

Google has updated the code signature in Chrome 72, so 1Password 4 for Windows will not work with it. Please check this reply from Kate about this situation.

If you want to use 1Password 4 for Windows, you can switch to a different supported browser, 1Password extension should work there. However, I would recommend you to take a closer look at 1Password 7 for Windows:

Get to know 1Password 7 for Windows

Let me know if you have other questions. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

So what your saying is .."Google has updated the code signature in Chrome 72 and we can't be arsed updating 1password 4 because we have sucked all the money we're gonna make out of that version....Thanks for being loyal and sticking with us but now we're gonna take a dump on your head"......I'm sure there is a way to keep 1password 4 chrome extension working, and don't blame google chromes updates...you don't seem to have any problems making 1password 7's browser app work with the update....i have been with you guys since the very start and this kind of "Reward" makes me sick...disgusting!!

• Kelvin
    Kelvin
    Community Member

I am disappointed that 1Password no longer works on Chrome and there does not appear to be a plan to correct this.
    I tried switching to Internet Explorer 11, and have the add-on enabled and the icon appearing on the Command Bar, however this also does nothing when clicking the icon. The shortcut Ctrl + \ does not work either. This makes 1Password virtually useless.

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Kelvin, I have switched to firefox, you can import all your bookmarks from chrome to it too...in the long run im going to be looking for a new password manager though.
    Let me know if you need help

• haematom
    haematom
    Community Member

Does that mean, you won't fix the extension?

I don't want to switch to 1Password 7 as the data is no longer stored on my local machine. Or am i wrong here?

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member

haematom no you can make a vault "on this PC"...local storage

• haematom
    haematom
    Community Member

res1492 ... thanks for the info .. then i will hava look at 1pw7

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Don't quote me word for word as I have only been using 7 since 3 pm today.

The setup is nowhere near as "smooth" as 4 but its still pretty self explanatory if you just stop and think before pressing buttons.

Just pick "open a vault on this pc" and highlight your 1password "1Password.agilekeychain" folder, press select folder and it will do the rest...if you have a lot of logins like I have (700) don't panic ...it takes a while to convert them to the new vault system but in the meantime you don't get a progress bar and I thought I was going to lose everything

• Thanks for hopping in here @res1492! @haematom, res here has covered everything I would at the outset, but if you decide to upgrade and need a hand, I'd be happy to help. :chuffed:

• haematom
    haematom
    Community Member

Thanks @bundtkate and @res1492 ... i upgraded to 7 and my local vault was converted without a problem and is still local.

• Delighted to hear it, @haematom! Enjoy and if I can do anything else to help as you get to know the new app, just let me know. :chuffed:

• iainbullock
    iainbullock
    Community Member

I have to say I agree with @res1492. I paid for 1Password 4 and am not happy that it's no longer supported and I'm expected to pay again to use the new version. Poor show Agilebits

• While I understand that paid upgrades are never fun, @iainbullock, there is no developer that is going to continue to update older versions of their product indefinitely. It's simply not a sustainable practice. Keeping software updated and compatible with the latest operating systems and browsers has an ongoing cost and a single license purchase, even from a large number of customers, isn't ever going to be able to cover those costs forever.

That said, we do make every effort to ensure each version has a reasonable lifespan – 1Password 4 was fully supported and updated through 1Password 7's release just last year. Even today, our support team helps folks with 1Password 4 every day, and you can continue to use it with a number of other supported browsers, including other Chromium-based browsers like Opera, Brave and Vivaldi. If it continues to work with those browsers a year from now or even a decade from now, we'll continue to help y'all keep using it if you want to. Of course, we will always recommend using the latest version of any software (including 1Password) and feel 1Password 7 provides much more value than just support for Chrome 72 and later, but that choice is and always will be yours. If you'd like to continue using 1Password 4, you have options to do so and we'll be happy to help with any issues you may encounter. :+1:

• iainbullock
    iainbullock
    Community Member

@bundtkate Thanks for the response. I appreciate you need a sustainable approach to funding your business. I would not expect ongoing development of old products. This however is a minor update to maintain essential functionality. Whether you think the very minor cost of doing this is worth it is for you to decide as a business, however you fail to consider the aspect of customer service and loyalty. If I was a happy customer and felt fairly treated (e.g. I felt I had got adequate life out of my original purchase, or I was offered an incentive to buy the new version) I might be prepared to make a further purchase. However I don't feel I've been treated fairly, so you lose me as a customer for the future

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that. But 1Password 4 has been discontinued for years now and there wouldn't even be anyone available to update it we we to try to resurrect it. So "minor" is very subjective. I don't know of other software developed a decade ago that is still being updated for new browser versions, but certainly if you do find something else that you prefer that's not something I'd begrudge you. Take care.

This discussion has been closed.