Windows App install froze my computer.

About three days ago, I set up an account at 1 Password.com, provided a credit card, set up a Master Password, received a Secret Key via email, and subsequently, downloaded the Windows app to my PC, running Windows 7 Home Premium.. After installing the Windows app, I restarted my PC. As my PC was opening to the desktop screen, the app opened for an instant, without me activating it, and my desktop screen went to white. For whatever reason, the desktop froze and wouldn't shut down . I finally closed the machine by pressing the "On/Off" button.

When I tried to restart the PC, the Windows OS found that files were corrupted and proposed to fix the problem by restoring the system to an earlier date. I did so and all was back to normal. I haven't tried to download and install the 1Password windows app.

Would anyone have an idea to explain what happened during that install? Please advise. Thank you for your consideration.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @Appples! It's tough to say now everything is removed, but chances are that Windows was correct and some components of 1Password were installed corrupted. This can be a one-off – perhaps the installer didn't download properly, Windows had issues during installation, or it could even be coincidence that something so happened to get corrupted around the time you installed 1Password. It could also be a bad interaction with something else on your PC. Two issues I've seen before, though they usually don't have such profound symptoms, are anti-virus programs interfering with the installation of 1Password, or your PC having an outdated version of the .NET framework. That last one is particularly common on Windows 7 – it's not getting .NET updates any longer, so it's several versions behind the latest at this point.

So, to start, I'd install the latest .NET framework from here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4054530/microsoft-net-framework-4-7-2-offline-installer-for-windows Note that if you already have the latest, it will just tell you, so if it says you're all good, then you're set. From there, if you have no anti-virus beyond Windows Defender on this PC, I'd download a fresh installer and try running it again. If you have the same issue, let me know.

If you do have an anti-virus beyond Windows Defender on this PC, let me know which you're using before installing again and I can help you make sure it won't get in the way of the install process so you can give it another go. :+1:

• Appples
    Appples
    Community Member

Hi @bundtka.... Thank you for responding to my inquiry. My Windows 7 PC currently has the following update from January 2019 -
    2019-01 Security and Quality Rollup for .NET Framework 3.5.1, 4.5.2, 4.6, 4.6.1, 4.6.2, 4.7, 4.7.1, 4.7.2 for Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 for x64 (KB4481480)
    Installation date: ‎1/‎9/‎2019 3:11 AM Installation status: Successful

and, I'm using "Trend Micro Maximum Security" 2018 as my anti-virus. I look forward to receiving your information on how to install the "1Password" windows app in my PC.

• Starting with .NET, @Appples, that rollup probably doesn't include .NET 4.7.2 itself, but would include updates for that version if it were installed. You can have more than one version of the .NET framework installed and finding which you have is an adventure to say the least. I'd go ahead and try installing it anyway. As I mentioned, the installer will do nothing more than tell you you've already got it if you do, so there's no harm and it's the best way to be sure,

Since you do have an AV, I'd like to take a look at some logs from your attempted install you hopefully still have available to see if it was giving you trouble:

1. Open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password\logs\setup to search and press enter.
    2. Attach any logs you see there to an e-mail addressed to support+windows@1password.com.

Let me know the support ID you receive via auto-reply. It will look like [#ABC-12345-678] and I'll take a peek. Thanks! :chuffed:

• Appples
    Appples
    Community Member

@bundtkate_ here is the support ID - [#KMT-91436-595] you requested. Thank you for your consideration.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Appples,

Found your logs on our side. We will take a look and get back to you soon. Thanks! :+1:

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: YLX-91852-477

• Appples
    Appples
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

HI @Greg,

I hope that @bundtkate has apprised you of my situation. Thank you for your continued support.

• Yes, everyone will be apprised of the conversation, we'd read the thread here that we linked to the email using that support ID you gave us.

In order to keep this process working smoothly, let's talk in that email, so we don't need to talk in two separate areas.

This discussion has been closed.