What is the point of a 'Passwords' category?

mikisdad
mikisdad
Community Member

Given that 1Password is for storing passwords, why does it have a category of 'Passwords'?

1Password Version: Version 7
Extension Version: 7.2.4 (70204000)
OS Version: MacOS Mojave 10.14.3
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Given that 1Password is for storing passwords, what is the point of a 'Passwords' category?

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Stuff that doesn’t have a login. I use it for Signal and Cryptomator, bot are apps I use that just have a password, but no URL or login info. It’s also a back up for when you make a new login also. It will always save to that in case something goes wrong.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikisdad - yup, @prime has got it 100% correct. You can of course remove any Password items you consider redundant...but that's why they exist. :)

• mikisdad
    mikisdad
    Community Member

Thanks guys.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@mikisdad - you're quite welcome! :)

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

@prime I just started using Cryptomator. Are you aware of a way to autofill this password on the Cryptomator Mac app, while unlocking vaults? I have been copy-pasting so far, but would like avoid that.

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

It’s not very safe, but I think you can automate this using Keyboard Maestro.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@arunsathiya: I'd suggest using drag and drop from 1Password mini. Unless they're doing something weird with their login fields that should work. :)

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@arunsathiya i haven’t we use my MacBook for a while. So I couldn’t tell ya :(

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2019

@prime - I'd echo what brenty said -- you can drag/drop from major fields in 1Password items in the mini directly into any other fields in any apps that don't actively prevent such things. I've no idea whether Cryptomator in particular allows this, but it would be easy enough to test, and -- when done that way -- the password you're dragging doesn't hit the macOS system clipboard. It's much more secure than anything involving traditional copy/paste.

• arunsathiya
    arunsathiya
    Community Member

@prime No problem!

@brenty @lars good points! I was not able to get it working. For some additional clarity, I am not talking about Cryptomator website, but the Cryptomator desktop apps on Mac and Windows. When I drag-drop the password from 1Password Mini (TIL something like that exists!) to Cryptomator's password field, the password doesn't get pasted. It's probably the Cryptomator app misbehaving; for now, I am able to copy-paste from 1Password to the Cryptomator app. ✅

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Ah, indeed it sounds like they're doing something strange with their password fields then. Sorry that drag and drop didn't work, but glad you were able to work around it. Thanks for letting us know!

• snewell4
    snewell4
    Community Member

I've found several uses for the Passwords category:

• Password-protected Word documents and Excel spreadsheets
    • PINs for garage door opener, Samsung Pay on my Samsung watch, and a couple other misc PINs
    • Thumb drive encryption password
    • University-issued digital certificate password
    • Ancient Truecrypt password (don't think it's still in use, but just in case I stumble across something). Same for PGP.
  • :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.