I wish 1Password X locks only when the auto-lock timer expires and not when I close the browser.

It's annoying that I have to enter the master password each time I want to open 1Password X just because I closed the browser.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Welcome to the forums, @Logan8! πŸ‘‹ It's great to have you here. πŸ™‚

You're right, when your browser is quit completely you will need to unlock 1Password again. This is because we never store your Master Password anywhere so when your browser quits, all the keys we need to decrypt your data are removed.

As a completely standalone browser extension, there's no way around this – aside from storing your Master Password somewhere anyway, which would be so insecure we would add a feature to do so.

With that said, on Mac and on Windows, in theory we could share the unlock state with 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. Both of those apps live outside of your browser and so they can remember your unlock secrets even when your browser exits. This would be great for saving you from unlocking as often, as well as allow you to use Touch ID or Windows Hello to unlock 1Password. This is something we're looking into adding in a future update.

I hope that helps clarify why things work the way they do. Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

++dave;

• Good news, @ Logan8!! 1Password X now has Desktop App Integration on Mac! This will allow you to restart Chrome and have 1Password X start unlocked. πŸŽ‰

Check out our recent beta announcement for details on how to set things up so you can use Touch ID on your Mac. Support for Windows and Windows Hello will be coming in a future release.

If you're feeling adventurous, please give the beta a try and let us know how it goes. 😘

++dave;

• shunkica
    shunkica
    Community Member

But what about Linux?

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @shunkica,

For now nothing has changed with respect to Linux. With no native client available the standalone extension exists by itself and so when the browser is closed the extension is fully terminated. The extension will still function as it has so there's no loss of any existing feature or behaviour but this improvement is limited to currently macOS and at some point in the future Windows.

• FogCityNative
    FogCityNative
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Will you be doing this enhancement for 1PX grabbing the unlocked state from the pop-up version on Firefox Mac?? Having to re-enter the password multiple times per day is keeping me tied to the pop-up when I actually prefer the inline features of 1PX.

• Good question, @FogCityNative. If 1Password X was able to connect with 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows then we would be able to share lock state with them. That would allow you to restart your browser and have 1Password X start unlocked as long as 1Password itself was unlocked.

We're working on doing exactly this and in fact we have it available in beta already on Mac. You can try it out now if you'd like to help us test it:

Introducing Desktop App Integration for Mac! πŸŽ‰

++dave;

This discussion has been closed.