Does the browser extension work with portable browsers ?

Hi all,

I use Iron browser (portable version). This is a Chromium based browser which means the Google Chrome extension are fully compatible with this browser.
When I enable the 1P extension, I can see it (the logo) goes black shortly before becoming completely greyed out. And from there, nothing happens at all when I try to use it or go to web sites for which I registered a username and password in the 1P Windows app. The Windows app is opened when I try to do that.

One more strange thing : when I select the "open and fill" option from the 1P desktop app, it does open my Iron browser but it is not exactly the version I use. What I mean is that all the extra extensions I added are missing when the browser is opened from the "open and fill" option of the desktop app.

Is the problem related to the use of a portable browser ?

https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/iron_portable

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 4.7.3.90
OS Version: Win 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• _Oliver_
    _Oliver_
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

One more thing :
    In the desktop app, I can see Iron browser in the "Refused connection attempts" section.
    The "Connected Browsers" section is empty.

Edit : found this in the logs :
    Refusing helper connection from C:\Users......\IronPortable\App\Iron\chrome.exe, because of untrusted publisher Stefan Ries.

Is there a way to manualy define this publisher as a "trusted" one ?

• Oliver! Any chance you have a 1Password membership? The companion extension that works alongside the desktop app only supports a limited list of browsers for security reasons. Specifically, Chrome, Firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, Opera and Edge. 1Password X, on the other hand, should work well in most (if not all) Chromium-based browsers, but it does require a 1Password membership. If you've got one, check it out and let me know if it works for you in Iron:

https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

Of course, if you've got questions, I'm here to help so ask away. :+1:

• _Oliver_
    _Oliver_
    Community Member

Well... the thing is that I would like to test 1passord before signing up for a membership. I don't want to sign up for a membership and find out that 1P does not suit my needs.
    It does concerne me a little that you are saying "SHOULD" work well. Looks like it is a "not sure it will work but it should".

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Oliver ,

When you create 1Password account, you get 30 days to try it out without paying any subscription fees. Please give it a try and let us know if it suits your needs.

If you bump into any issues during this trial period, please let us know. We will be happy to help. Thank you! :)

Cheers,
    Greg

This discussion has been closed.