Upgrading mac need copy of license

ajahn
ajahn
Community Member

I have 2 macs (MacBook and iMac). iMac is running 1Password 6, MacBook is running 1Password 4 because it is on an older OS version. I am planning to upgrade the MacBook to Sierra, which should allow me to start using 1Password 6. On my iMac, I open 1P 6 and click "License...". It pops up the 1Password Registration window that says "You are licensed!" etc. How do I use this license on my laptop after I upgrade? I plan to do a "clean" upgrade, so I will need to install a fresh version of 1P 6. I still have the package file for v6.5.5, which I plan to use. How/where can I get the password key? Since 1Password is probably the most important application I own, it will be one of the first ones to install (after Dropbox where I store my passwords).

One other note. On the iMac when I run 1P 6 and select About 1Password it shows version 6.8.9. After I install the package I have (6.5.5) will I be able to upgrade using Check for updates?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.8.9 and 4.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.12
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Installing 1Password on new mac need license

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn - I'm not sure why you'd want to hang onto an installer for an older version of 1Password for Mac (6.5.5). Yes, it should still work...but 6.5.5 hasn't been the current version of 1Password for Mac since February of 2017, two years ago. I'd recommend directly installing version 6.8.9, which you can download directly from our downloads page by scrolling down to the "using an older computer" section.

If 1Password 4 for Mac is licensed on your MacBook, then you already have a license that will work for version 6, since all version 4 license holders were given free upgrades to both 1Password 5 for Mac and 1Password 6 for Mac. Just make sure you don't destroy the license in your user Library folder, and you should be fine. However, if you get done with upgrading and installing version 6.8.9 and 1Password is NOT licensed, then if you are syncing your data via Dropbox and plan to use that as your data source on the MacBook after upgrading, my next question would be: do you have the 1Password 6 for Mac software license item in 1Password itself? Depending on when and how you installed/upgraded, 1Password may have placed a Software License item directly into its own files -- check it out. Switch to the Software Licenses category and search for 1Password. You may be able to just grab the license from there. If that doesn't work, you can find your previous license at ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/License/License.onepassword-license on your iMac. You can email or AirDrop that to yourself, or even copy it out to a USB flash drive, and transfer it to the MacBook that way. Hope that's helpful! :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Lars,
    Thanks for the help. I'm a bit confused... With other applications, I save off my license key and enter it when I re-install the software. I know that 1Passoword works differently. If I get the License.onepassword-license file from my iMac, how do I apply it after installing 1Passoword on my laptop? Thanks,

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn - with 1Password 6 for Mac running, double-click it. :)

• ajahn
    ajahn
    Community Member

Thanks. I'll check my iMac when I get home tonight.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@ajahn - sounds good! Let us know if you still need assistance. :)

This discussion has been closed.