To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Switching to family plan - reimbursement?

Options

I originally signed up for a single user account and I paid for the whole year at one time. Now, about 6 months after I first signed up, my family has started a family plan that I have joined. Is there any way to get reimbursement for the months of the individual account that I will not end up using given that I have switched my membership type (and am now paying for both)? I know that other apps like iCloud offer this, but am unsure if 1password does. Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Switching to family plan - reimbursement?

Comments

• Hello @elianasullivan,

We can definitely help you hove over to the family account and away from the individual account. Unfortunately we can't help with billing issues here on the forums.

Please send an email to support+billing@1password.com with a link to this forum thread and a short explanation that you need to cancel the subscription on your individual account.

Once you have a Support ID please post it here so we can follow up as soon as possible.

• foolio
    foolio
    Community Member
    Options

Do you have a recommendation on how to best convert people from individual to a family plan? Both from a technical and financial point of view? Does one person just sign up for a family account and send those people that already have an individual account an invite? Will stuff get migrated in vaults or remain the way it is for that person? Do you offer refunds on individual plans in those cases?

I have been a user for 4years or more on Macs and iPhones and have paid for licenses while using Dropbox. After a bunch of pestering, my mother signed up to use your individual subscription, on Windows. I just upgraded from 6 to 7 on a trial basis (though I don't really see a huge benefit) and I am going to sign up for a family account so I can get my wife and father on board.

• Ben
    Options

Hi @foolio,

Does one person just sign up for a family account and send those people that already have an individual account an invite?

Yes, exactly.

Will stuff get migrated in vaults or remain the way it is for that person?

They'll need to move their data from the individual account to their account within the 1Password Families membership:

Move and copy items | 1Password

Do you offer refunds on individual plans in those cases?

The options available are likely going to vary a bit based on the situation. I'd recommend reaching out to our billing team with the specifics. They'll be in the best position to answer definitively:

support+billing@1password.com

Thanks!

Ben

• foolio
    foolio
    Community Member
    Options

@Ben - what is the unique identifier for an account? It seems like it's an email address. Or is it the email address and secret key?

So are they supposed to just sign in again and create a new account with the same email address and a new master password? And that account won't conflict with the existing individual account?

• Ben
    Options

what is the unique identifier for an account? It seems like it's an email address. Or is it the email address and secret key?

It is actually a little more complicated than that, but what matters is that:

• An email address can only be associated a single individual membership but
    • The same email address can be used for accounts within any number of 1Password Families, 1Password Teams, or 1Password Business memberships
    • Each account within any given membership must have a unique email address (e.g. support@1password.com can't have two accounts in the same 1Password Business membership)

So are they supposed to just sign in again and create a new account with the same email address and a new master password? And that account won't conflict with the existing individual account?

Correct, but they can actually use the same Master Password if desired (recommended).

Ben

This discussion has been closed.