Setup code scanner not working in Safari

This discussion was created from comments split from: OTP - QR Code scanner does not read QR in 1P for Mac, but works fine in iOS.

Comments

• permb
    permb
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

The QR code scanner works fine for me in the Chrome 1PasswordX extension on Windows but the Mac Safari version consistently never works. I choose Edit and click the QR icon for the OTP field, the screen capture window shows up and I can move it to get the green edges but then nothing happens. 100% reproducible.

1Password 7
    Version 7.2.4 (70204000)
    AgileBits Store

• Hi @permb,

When you get the green edges, it should close and put the URL should appear in the field where you clicked the QR icon. You did mention "Safari" - do you mean when opening 1Password mini from the icon in Safari? Does it work when editing the item from the main 1Password window?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• ChiliPalmer
    ChiliPalmer
    Community Member

I think this is due to the "Screen Recording" limitation in the Privacy tab of your Security & Privacy pane in System Preferences.

If you give 1P access to "Screen Recording" then you should be OK.

• @ChiliPalmer

Indeed, it seems like you're correct. We also have a help topic regarding this should anyone need further details.

If you see “1Password would like to record this screen” on your Mac

• coffeepostal
    coffeepostal
    Community Member

I'm running Mojave, and the "Screen Recording" option isn't available in Security & Privacy / Privacy, is there a way to turn it on in Mojave?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@coffeepostal:

I don't have any more Mojave machines here to test this, but was there a "camera" permission there? If there was, I think it might be the only permission that you need on Mojave.

• @coffeepostal

On Mojave, the only permission that I am requested to allow is Camera access, as Ana mentioned.

• coffeepostal
    coffeepostal
    Community Member
    edited March 2020

@ag_ana & @ag_tommy I'll see if that gives it permission, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@coffeepostal:

Sounds good! Please let us know how it goes :+1: :)

• coffeepostal
    coffeepostal
    Community Member

@ag_ana unfortunately, I can't get 1Password to trigger to ask me for permission and when I try to manually add it, I don't have the option to (see screenshot). I'm on a Mac Pro (Mid 2010) and don't have a camera, so that might be why I don't have access in that panel. I'm also including a screenshot of what the QR Code scanner looks like. In it you'll see a flyout menu at the bottom right, you get that if you right-click on the camera button. As you can see, it's not showing the webpage behind it, like it used to.

I should say, I'm not totally up a creek, I'm using the QR scanner on my iPhone in the meantime, but I'd love to get it working on my desktop. Thanks!

• Hi @coffeepostal

If you're using the App Store download of 1Password it won't be able to scan the screen for QR codes. You'd have to drag and drop the code onto the scanner window. Alternatively, if you want the on-screen scanner, you can download and install 1Password from our website.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• coffeepostal
    coffeepostal
    Community Member

@Ben that's it! I did a system purge at the beginning of the year, and I thought I reinstalled from the website, but I must have installed from the App Store. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Ben, you are welcome @coffeepostal! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• bmishkin
    bmishkin
    Community Member

Just confirming that switching to the web install resolved this issue for me. Thanks 1Password!

• :+1: :) We're all, always glad to help!

This discussion has been closed.