Updater finds more than one version of 1Pwd

claus
claus
Community Member

Hello,
just recently I used "Carbon Copy Cloner" to make a backup/clone of the internal hard disk to an external one. The external hard disk is still mounted.
Now a message from the 1Pwd updater came up that two other copies of 1Pwd were found - on this external hard disk. For me, at the first moment confusing because it is "only" a backup. Of course I will not touch these version on the backup. But the updater "instructs" (in the text) to delete the 1Pwd copies on the external hard disk to continue with the update.
What I recommend now is to change the wording/instructions as it can result in a problem during a restore of a backup.
Greetings,
Claus

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@claus - that behavior is intentional, because any additional copies of 1Password found on any disks visible to the main boot disk, can interfere with what copy of the 1Password mini gets launched, and cause unpredictable behavior. It's fine to have extra copies of 1Password's other files (Library files, etc), but copies of the 1Password app itself...can be problematic. That's why you get the message to delete them. And in truth, it's also the least necessary portion of 1Password to keep a backup of, since you can quite easily download a fresh copy of 1Password from our downloads page -- or even any previous version from our historical version updates server. If you feel you absolutely must keep backups of the installed app itself, then you'll want to make sure to unmount any backup drives prior to updating 1Password and preferably prior to (re)launching it as well.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

And if you don't want to risk not being able to access the downloads page (very unlikely) you can always zip 1PW and allow the zipped version to be backed up.

Note that both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper (and probably other backup programs but I don't know about them) will let you exclude 1PW from your backup.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

That's a good point, @danco - you can set CCC or Super Duper to specifically exclude virtually any file/folder/directory you wish, which would eliminate this problem.

This discussion has been closed.