To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New computer, very old 1Password user = trouble

Alice DuBois
Alice DuBois
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Memberships

I bought 1Password version 3 back in December 2012, before there was a monthly membership model. I paid a flat fee to download the app and I have used it happily on my Mac and iPhone since then. It's the best and I love it!

At some point in 2016, 1Password had moved to a monthly membership model and in order to download 1Password 7, I was told that I had to set up a team or family account. I think that I set up a trial for a family or team account, but to be honest, I found it all very confusing.

As of last week, my situation was as follows:

• I had a very old personal Mac laptop where the Chrome extension kept telling me that my trial had expired.
  • I had a work Mac laptop where both the app and the Chrome extension worked fine and didn't seem to have any knowledge of this membership / trial account. 1Password worked like it always had! I used my work computer as my primary computer and almost never used my personal laptop so the confusion around the newer version of the app wasn't a problem day-to-day.
  • I had an iPhone with the 1Password app (version 7.2.7) that synced fine with my work laptop. The iPhone app tells me that I do not have any existing accounts set up in it.

Last week, I quit my job and turned in my work computer. I bought a new computer and when I downloaded 1Password, it seems like the only way I can log in is if I have an account.

I don't know exactly what is going on but I feel like I'm stuck halfway between the old school 1Password where you paid a flat fee to download the app and were given a license, and the new 1Password where you need to set up an account and get a signin address and a secret key. I'm worried about losing all the login info I've entered over the past few years.

Can you help me? My goal is to get 1Password set up on my new laptop without losing all the recent login info that I've entered for the past many years. Is it a problem that my work computer has been turned in? Or is it fine, if I have the latest passwords on my phone (which I do). I'm happy to switch over to the monthly subscription model. I just want 1Password to work and I don't want to lose any data.

I am a huge 1Password fan but I have to say that I'm very confused. Can you help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

ref: RFU-36672-924

Comments

• Hi @Alice DuBois

I'd be happy to help with that. First off thank you for being a long-time user of 1Password. Indeed, things have changed a bit since 2012. To get the best & most out of 1Password I'd highly recommend 1Password membership for this situation.

We launched 1Password membership in 2015 with our "1Password [for] Teams" service. This was later expanded and we began offering tiers of membership targeted specifically at individuals and families as well. Membership is great for a lot of reasons but one of them is it enables more of a "set it and forget it" attitude. Your subscription includes access to the latest versions of all of your compatible devices. This means you don't have to worry about paying for upgrades, or think about whether that new device you might want is going to require a different license. It's all included. There are a number of other benefits as well, which you can read about here:

About 1Password membership

We do still sell licenses in the way you're familiar with, but we no longer advertise that fact, and don't generally recommend it except perhaps in some very specific scenarios. This doesn't seem to be one of those scenarios. I really believe that membership is going to provide a better experience for you.

Specifically for your situation here is what I'd recommend doing:

1. Sign up for a 1Password membership (either 1Password Families or an individual account as you see fit) using a web browser (e.x. Chrome) from your new computer. Ideally you'd have access to a printer from this computer to facilitate printing your Emergency Kit during the signup process. If you do not have access to a printer then it may be easier to sign up from your iPhone instead. You won't get an Emergency Kit but your credentials (other than your Master Password) will be saved securely in iCloud Keychain, if you have that enabled.
    2. Once you have created an account sign in to that account in 1Password for iOS on your iPhone (1Password > Settings > 1Password Accounts). 1Password should prompt you at this point if you want to migrate your data and then delete the old "Primary" vault (you do).
    3. Once the data has been migrated successfully using your phone download and install the latest version of 1Password on you laptops and follow the instrucions here: https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices (if you haven't set up anything on the new laptop yet you may not have a "Primary" vault to delete -- that's okay)
    4. Once you're happy with the setup check and make sure none of the devices have a "Primary" vault on them anymore.

I hope that helps! If you have any questions please let me know.

Ben

• Alice DuBois
    Alice DuBois
    Community Member

Ben,

I have the best news. I followed your instructions and EVERYTHING WORKED! I was so sure that a new membership account was going to overwrite my entire password vault and I would be the saddest person. Imagine my delight when the whole process was simple and easy and ~ just worked ~

What a dream!

Thank you for the very clear and detailed instructions and thanks to your product and eng teams for making the liscence-to-membership transition very smooth.

Excited for my new "set it and forget it" 1password life!

Best,
    Alice

• Alice DuBois
    Alice DuBois
    Community Member

@Ben ^^ see above. You are a hero.

• @Alice DuBois

Thanks so much for the kind words. I'm very glad to hear everything went smoothly and you're on to enjoying membership. :) Were you able to get your Emergency Kit printed? Personally that is one of my favorite features. It provides an excellent peace of mind.

Ben

• Alice DuBois
    Alice DuBois
    Community Member

Yes, I was able to print the emergency kit. So we're all set!

Thanks again!

• Awesome. You're very welcome. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.