I changed my master password, it works on my Iphone via TouchID, but not on my Windows PC.

I verified the new password repeatedly, but it does not work on the desktop PC

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I changed my master password, it works on my Iphone via TouchID, but not on my Windows PC.

Comments

• Hey, @Berrywammes! As described in our guide to changing your Master Password, you have to complete that change process in your app on Windows. To do so:

1. Enter your old Master Password.
    2. Click the red banner at the bottom of your app.
    3. Enter your new Master Password and click sign in.

1Password for Windows will use the new one moving forward. :+1:

• Berrywammes
    Berrywammes
    Community Member

It works, thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Berrywammes,

On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :) Feel free to contact us anytime, we are always ready to help you with 1Password.

Cheers,
    Greg

• bigblank
    bigblank
    Community Member

Hi ya'll. I'm having the same issue, but I might not be remembering my old password correctly. I changed my password on my mac a couple weeks ago, but don't use my PC as often.
    I've tried deleting my data and uninstalling/reinstalling the application too.
    Ideas?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bigblank,

If you can access your data in 1Password on your Mac, please do the following on your Windows PC:

1. Close 1Password 7 if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select "Exit".
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3. Rename data folder to backup-data
    4. Open 1Password and sign in to your account anew.

Let me know how it goes. Thank you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• bigblank
    bigblank
    Community Member

Yes, that fixed it. Thanks for the help.
    The changed master password seems to be really buggy on non-mac products (had trouble on Android too). Are you guys working to fix this?

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @bigblank,

Yes, we're always working on improving this; there is a reason why this occurs in the first place.

When you changed the password on the macOS version of 1Password, it sent the updated encrypted keys to our service but your PC can't pull that updated key until you unlock the app and it does a sync to get that key; thus you need to enter old password first to unlock and then let it do the sync. That's why renaming the data folder works, it is not locked anymore and you have to start over.

This is not desired of course but it is very complex to do it right all the time; we want the app to pull it any time and then allow you to enter the password that'd work either with new or old; remove the old key when you enter the new password correctly. However, we have a lot of keys already in place and we want to be very very careful not to mix it up and get you locked out by accident.

This discussion has been closed.