Change the order of vaults - get me ⌘2 back!

JasonGarber
JasonGarber
Community Member

I just added another vault and unlike the 4 previous vaults I added, this one added itself in the #2 position, disrupting my keyboard shortcut muscle memory. I know many others have asked for this feature, so please add my +1 to the chorus!

1Password Version: 6.8.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.13.1
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:Ordering vaults

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@JasonGarber: Thanks for letting us know you'd like to be able to reorder vaults manually. I can't promise anything, but it's something we'd like in the future as well. Cheers! :)

• sjk
    sjk
    1Password Alumni

Hi @JasonGarber,

It is possible to (re)assign shortcuts used for switching vaults in 1Password for Mac by changing them in System Preferences. Here's an example of swapping the vault switching order of ⌘2 and ⌘3 shortcuts, set to standalone Demo and test vaults (respectively) by default.

Setting ⌘2 to the test vault:

After setting ⌘2 and ⌘3 for the main app and mini:

Clicking All Vaults in the main app shows the shortcuts have been swapped:

Also under the Switch to Vault menu:

And in 1Password mini (after it's restarted):

This does work, while admittedly not the easiest or most elegant method. And when you have multiple vaults with the same name (e.g. Personal and/or Private while signed in with multiple accounts, a shortcut assigned to one of them only applies to the first vault or can even be overridden by a default, like after setting ⌘1 to Personal it still switches to Primary in this example:

Maybe that can help get ⌘2 to switch to the same vault it did before you added the new one. :)

• JasonGarber
    JasonGarber
    Community Member
    edited December 2017

Thanks, @brenty.
    @sjk: Awesome workaround! Thanks! That'll work great for the problem I presented. Then I went and signed up for a 1Password.com account to try out X, but now it's below a team I don't control, so the ⌘1 problem you mentioned applies. Thanks for giving me a workaround and anticipating my next problem!!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Glad that workaround helped a bit in the mean time, but we'll keep working to make it easier to deal with a plethora of vaults. Thank you for your feedback on this!

• Tensho
    Tensho
    Community Member

+1 require this feature

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for letting us know you'd like us to add such a feature. :)

• spiffytiffy
    spiffytiffy
    Community Member

+1 for reordering vaults

• @spiffytiffy

Thanks for the feedback. :) Did you see sjk’s suggestion above? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/comment/404343/#Comment_404343
    That may help.

Thanks!

Ben

• spiffytiffy
    spiffytiffy
    Community Member

@Ben Yes, I’m more concerned about the visual organization when I look at my list of vaults. Thanks!

• Gotcha. Thanks!

Ben

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member

I just ran into this same issue. In 1Password 6 my vaults were in one order, and after upgrading to 1Password 7 they are in a different order! Very frustrating. I guess I will have to try the workaround.

• @craigc123

Hopefully that works for you. :) Please let us know how it turns out.

Ben

• craigc123
    craigc123
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

So I have set up the shortcuts, but for whatever reason, in 1Password 7 they only work from the menu bar mini 1Password version. When I open 1Password 7 it shows the new shortcuts in the menu but then as soon as I press them they disappear from the menu items, and nothing happens (the vaults do not switch).

From the menu bar version it switches without any problems.

• Thanks for the feedback @craigc123. We'll add it to the list to see if we can improve this.

Ben

• TonyHall
    TonyHall
    Community Member

Any progress on this?

I've just bumped into the problem as stated by 'craigc123' above.

I switched my Primary vault sync from Dropbox to iCloud and sadly its shortcut was unexpectedly changed from a logical cmd-1 to cmd-4.
    (Not an earth-shattering problem, but after years of muscle memory...)

So a quick search revealed the above workaround, but as 'craigc123' stated it doesn't work smoothly in 1P7.

The new shortcuts work fine from within 1P mini, but in the main app (7.3) all you get with the new shortcuts is an error beep.

When you access the vault switching menu in 1P7 main app all appears promising:
    Vault > Switch to Vault >

However if you use one of the new shortcuts all you receive is an error beep and the menu changes:

Ideally we'd be able to customise the keyboard shortcut numbering (and display order) to whatever works best for the individual user, but until that time (if ever), it would be much appreciated if the macOS workaround could work as expected in the 1P7 main app.

Many thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@TonyHall - nothing to report at this time, no. Thanks for mentioning it.

This discussion has been closed.