Password extension keeps disappearing.

DrSFG
DrSFG
Community Member

I believe this has happened before but I don't remember how to fix it. Suddenly the 1Password extension on Safari keeps disappearing every time I close Safari and reopen it. I'm forced to reinstall it each time. I am using Safari 12.0.3, Mac OS 10.14.3 and 1Password 7.2.6 BETA-0

1Password Version: 7.2.6 BETA-0
Extension Version: 4.7.3
OS Version: 10.14.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DrSFG - in the information we ask for that accompanies a new post, you indicated your extension version is 4.7.3. If that's accurate, that's going to be the problem -- as of version 7.2, 1Password has changed the format of Safari extension to Apple's new Safari App Extension format, instead of the now-familiar .safariextz-style extensions we all used to install from the Safari Extensions Gallery. If you're still trying to use 4.7.3 in Safari, and you're on macOS 10.14 (“Mojave”) (and therefore on Safari 12), you need to allow 1Password 7 for Mac to install the newer extension version, which will have the same version number as the main app (7.2.6). Please close Safari and fully quit 1Password for Mac (Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu). Restart your Mac, then try launching both 1Password for Mac and Safari, and see what you can see in Safari's Preferences > Extensions.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

I've done what you have suggested and this was a failure: I closed Safari and Quite 1Password Completely, then restarted my Mac and opened 1Password and Safari. The extension is not there in the Preferences/Extensions listings. When I go to 1Password and go to the 1Password menu dropdown and select "Install Browser Extensions" it brings me to a page on 1Password's web site which ultimately sends you to an Apple page which downloads v4.7.3.

• DrSFG
    DrSFG
    Community Member

What did work is as follows: I downloaded the app from your web site. Reinstalled it, and then updated to the latest beta version. Then went to Safari. The extension was not up until I opened up the extensions list and the 1Password extension was there showing V7.2.6 BETA-0. Selecting it placed it on Safari's title bar and it's no longer disappearing when I close Safari.

My question is why does this keep on happening? It's not the first time I had to do something like this.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@DrSFG - thanks for the update. As of 1Password 7 for Mac, there's no external extension you need to add via the Safari Extensions Gallery or our website; the 1Password extension for Safari is built directly into the app itself. It should happen automatically (and be updated every time you update 1Password). If this "keeps happening," I'm wondering whether it's happening when the main 1Password app updates itself? Is that possible?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi, I have the same problem – I used to have the Safari Browser Extension installed, but then it disappeared (curiously enough after I installed it in Chrome, it's really weird…). When reinstalling (via Extension Gallery) I learnt about the changes Apple made to the extension mechanism.

So I followed your advice: I quit Safari + 1Password completely and restarted my Mac. Then I got a Mac notification (on the top right) asking me if I wanted to activate the 1Password extension in Safari. I clicked „Activate“ which opened the Extension view in Safari – but the 1PW-extension is not there. It's not that it's deactivated or anything, it's just not there.

The problem is, I'm on a business subscription and a work machine and cannot deinstall software on my own, so I can't try to un- and reinstall 1Password 7. Is there anything I can do? (Mac OS 10.12.6, Safari 12.0.2, 1Password 7.2.4) Thank you in advance!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@albert.s - please Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu), then restart your Mac one more time. See if that causes the extension to appear in Safari. If not, make sure:

1. In 1Password 7 for Mac Preferences > Browsers "Always keep 1Password Extension Helper running" is checked.
    2. In Safari, open Preferences > Extensions and see if 1Password version 7.x is there.
    3. Control-click the extensions bar and choose "Customize Toolbar" and drag the 1Password extension up from the list into your toolbar.

Let me know if any of that works for you.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Community Member

Hi @Lars, thank you for your reply. I did as you asked me and the problem persists unfortunately. :/

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@albert.s - I'm sorry to hear that. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be going on with your specific setup, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#MVI-35146-442]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @albert.s only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: MVI-35146-442

• lucksta
    lucksta
    Community Member

I too am having this same problem. I'm currently using version 7.3.BETA-12 but it's been an issue for me with previous versions as well. Can you help?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lucksta!

Just to make sure we are not missing anything: have you tried going over the suggestions posted by Lars in his posts already?

This discussion has been closed.