Forgot Master Password - Cant restore backup

bensen
bensen
Community Member

Hi,

i recently changed my Master Password and can't remember it. Now i was trying to restore with a backup with the old password but when i go to File -> i don't get a "restore" option.

Please help, i really need to get access to my docs and passwords.

Best regards.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.14.1
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

Is this the correct forum for 24/7 help?

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

Please help how to restore from the automatic backup.

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

This is the worst support i ever had.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Welcome to the forum, @bensen! I'm sorry for the trouble, as well as the delay in our response. This forum is indeed one of the places you can get support for 1Password. And while it's usually 24/7 in the sense that there's almost always someone here to reply, our coverage tends to be much lighter on the weekends, and even lighter than that during what would be nighttime in North America, since we're Canadian and much of our user-base (and therefore support staff) is based in the USA. We also handle user requests/issues in the order we receive them, starting from the oldest -- so if you're "bumping" your own request, you're actually bumping it to most-recent...in other words: it'll be the last one we'll get to. So, while this forum is indeed 24/7, that doesn't mean the same thing as "instantaneous."

It's a bit hard to say, just from what you wrote in your original post, since you didn't mention what type of sync method you use -- are you using standalone 1Password synced via Dropbox or iCloud? Or are you a 1password.com member, using a 1password.com account? If you click Preferences > Vaults, what do you see there? How many vaults are there, and what are their names?

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Hi, thanks and sorry. I'm a bit lost as a lot of valuable 'keys' are in my notes. I am a member using a 1password.com account. Preferences > Vaults is empty.

If i just can get back to February 1st - i could use my old master password. This would be the best that could happen.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bensen - let's try things one step at a time, here: are you able to visit https://my.1password.com in your preferred browser, and sign in there? Or does that not work either?

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

I can't login because i changed my master password on february 2nd. and i can't remember it cause i implemented some new special characters. I also tried over 2000 combinations the last two days.

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

Is it possible for you to revert my vault to Feb 1st?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bensen - unfortunately, no. If your 1password.com account is part of a 1Password Families, 1Password Teams or 1Password Business account, you may be able to get an Administrator or Family Organizer (depending on account type) to recover your account. However, if it's an individual 1password.com account, you'll need to delete your 1password.com account and create a new one. And unless you're able to access your existing 1password.com vault(s) on a device where perhaps you're able to use Touch ID or Face ID, there won't be any way to recover the data in-app, either. Do you have such a device?

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

No. So you don’t have Backups of the vaults? So why do you claim that it has automatic backups? I don’t find any on my Mac!?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bensen - we do have backups of your data, but they don't work the way I think you're expecting them to. You've re-encrypted your data with new keys (based on your new Master Password), and therefore the data isn't accessible any longer with your previous Master Password as a result.

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

So also the old version of the vault has the new password? I read in the forum that if you have a old vault version that is encrypted with the old master password, that it’s possible to unlock it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

@bensen - this is true only if you have old standalone backups of your data. 1password.com account backups work differently (though neither was ever intended as a way to prevent or recover from forgetting a Master Password). Were you ever using standalone 1Password? If you were at some point, you'll have such backups in one of three places:

• (if your copy of 1Password 6 or earlier was from the Mac App Store) - ~/Library/Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Library/Backups/
    • (if your copy of 1Password 6 or earlier was from us directly) - ~/Library/Application Support/1Password 4/Backups/
    • (if you had standalone data in 1Password 7) - ~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Backups
  • bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

sadly, there is nothing. i will try to find out what was going on in my brain, currently at 4000 possible combinations.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bensen - good luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. If it turns out you're not able to come up with the Master Password, please write in to sales@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread; the email team will be able to help get your account deleted and other details that should not be handled in this public forum.

• bensen
    bensen
    Community Member

Hi, one more question. I generated now 24.388 possible combinations. So if i run them with a python loop on my login page, do i have a number of attempts or can i run them till i found my password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@bensen - there is no limit to how many guesses you can make at your Master Password. Because using the 1Password UI itself is quite a slow method of trying multiple permutations, it would make attempting to crack all but the weakest Master Passwords prohibitively lengthy in terms of time spent anyway, and we don't want to penalize users who might get it wrong several times by imposing an arbitrary limit. So feel free to run your Python script. :)

This discussion has been closed.