To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I'm currently on 1Password v4 standalone - where now?

Options
877cms
877cms
Community Member

I purchased the "1Password Mac + Windows Bundle, Single License" back in March 2015.

Up to today was running 1Password 4, it seems like time to update, but I'm unsure how to proceed.

So I have a few questions:

1) If I purchase another stand alone licence, I could end up needing another licence in 2-3yrs?
2) Subscription - I guess it is a rolling service, i.e. will always be updated?
3) Subscription across platforms - can I still use the subscription across my PC, Mac and iPhones?
4) Subscription price increases - how often could these occur?

Many thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options
    1. Yes. Expect to need a new licence (or upgrade fee) for each major version. Minor updates will be included.
    2. Yes, I guess so. But I am a user, not staff, so can't say for sure.
    3. Yes. One advantage of the subscription is that it covers all platforms. By contrast, if you got a licence you would now need a Mac licence and a Windows one, as the bundle is no longer offered.
      1. I'll leave that one to a staff member.
  • Ben
    Options

Hi @887cms

danco did a great job here, but just to confirm and fill in the gaps a bit:

1) If I purchase another stand alone licence, I could end up needing another licence in 2-3yrs?

Correct.

2) Subscription - I guess it is a rolling service, i.e. will always be updated?

Yes. Membership always gives you access to whatever the latest version of 1Password is for all of your compatible devices.

3) Subscription across platforms - can I still use the subscription across my PC, Mac and iPhones?

Yes, as long as they meet the system requirements:

System requirements for 1Password

4) Subscription price increases - how often could these occur?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong... but 1Password membership has been a thing since November of 2015. In that time, off the top of my head, I believe we've had one minor price increase for one of our tiers of service. I know of any set policies in place regarding pricing increases, but our goal is to provide premium password management service to as many people as possible. As such it is in the best interest of that goal to keep prices reasonable.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• 877cms
    877cms
    Community Member
    Options

@Danco thanks for the help!

@Ben also thanks, I have since subscribed to the family subscription. I now seem to have duplicate entries though!

I tried several things to transfer over and now am a bit lost.

I used to have 285 items in my 1password v4 vault, sync'd over Dropbox.

In my Dropbox>Apps>1Password folder I have:
    1) folder called "1Password.legacyagilekeychain".
    2) new folder called "1Password.opvault"

In latest Windows Dropbox app, I have 1 Vault with 285 items.
    Under that I have "877" heading with "Private" underneath, with 514 items!
    Below that is "On this PC" with "1Password" underneath, with the 285 items.

Not sure of what to do from here.
    Help!!

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @877cms

It sounds like you may have completed the migration process multiple (3) times, and then did not delete the "Primary" vault (looks like it may be called "1Password" on your system). Do the contents of the "1Password" vault account for all of the 1Password items you want to keep? If so what I would recommend is:

1. Delete all items in the Private vault
    2. Copy everything from the 1Password vault to the Private vault: Move and copy items | 1Password
    3. Verify all of the items that you want to keep are available to you by logging in at https://my.1password.com/ in a web browser and opening your vault there. While you're there please print a copy of your Emergency Kit, if you haven't already: Get to know your Emergency Kit

Once complete delete the Primary / 1Password vault. This guide should help with that:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Ben

• 877cms
    877cms
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Ben thank you that worked! Why do I get so confused lol.

EDITED: Deleted Primary vault on my iPhone and all is ok :)

1)On my Dropbox folder, do I need to remove any old legacy files?

2) Where to go from here to setup family members?
    I have one Dropbox account (only I have access as it has my backups etc..). The family have shared iCloud account across all iPhones..

Many thanks!

• Ben
    Options

@877cms

1)On my Dropbox folder, do I need to remove any old legacy files?

Once you're all set with your 1Password account you can remove any 1Password related files from Dropbox, yes.

2) Where to go from here to setup family members?

1Password Membership does not care about Dropbox or iCloud accounts, generally. You can learn about how to invite your family using this guide:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• 877cms
    877cms
    Community Member
    Options

Ah so 1Password servers host the files, so Dropbox/iCloud is not needed? Bonus!

Many thanks for your help @Ben :)

• Ben
    Options

Ah so 1Password servers host the files, so Dropbox/iCloud is not needed? Bonus!

Correct. 1Password membership is a 1st party service.

Many thanks for your help @Ben :)

You are most welcome. :)

Ben

• 877cms
    877cms
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Ben sorry, one last thing (I hope),

I set up my wife as a family member. But, she can see my private vault on her iPhone, even though I set up her a "Wifes name" vault.

On IPhone when I go to settings > accounts it shows her email address logged in.

On the website she only has "Wifes name" and "Shared" vaults that I set up. Mine shows all three.

Also, does each member have their own "Private" Vault?

NEVERMIND, SOLVED:
    I must have had my Private stuff on the wifes phone, I went on her account and moved her stuff to private, and deleted the rest. Cheers

• Ben
    Options

NEVERMIND, SOLVED:

Cheers. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.