Deprecated API. Update to the latest version for CLI version <5.5

reachkb
reachkb
Community Member

I have automated the environment with 1password CLI version and today it is not running due to below error

Error:

The deprecated Version - 0.4
Error message - (ERROR) 445: Deprecated API. Update to the latest version

Is there a way we can use backward compatibility, we can achieve?

Thanks

1Password Version: 0.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: ubuntu
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:depreca

Comments

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I am using version 0.4. Suddenly my OP CLI code is not working. It is giving me an error "(ERROR) 445: Deprecated API. Update to the latest version".

Is that version deprecated? If so, you didn't mention anywhere and didn't even send an email that it got deprecated??

Please help me.

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:1password cli

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

BTW, I have one more question. In the older version(0.4), I used to mention "op signin " and it wont ask a prompt for password entry. Now it is asking in the new version. Please help me in figuring it out.

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

Hey BTW, I tested all versions below the 0.5.5. All are giving me "API Deprecation errors". Please check it and let me know asap

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

Hey, what will happen to older versions? Are those deprecated means I cannot use. Do you have any information?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited February 2019

Update! :-)

Correct, you need to update to the latest version of the CLI. I believe AgileBits is still working on the design. Since the CLI is still in beta, they reserve the right to change it.

The version you are using is closer to a year old, than six months.

https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/CLI

@sandeepmachiraju

• jpgoldberg
    jpgoldberg
    1Password Alumni

Hello, @reachkb (and others),

Sorry for the disruption, but you will need to update to version 0.5.5 (or later, once that becomes a thing).

Over the past month or so, we did attempt to email people who might be affected, but clearly that didn't reach everyone. Note also that other notification mechanisms would have required using relatively recent versions of the CLI.

On the whole, please do plan for life cycles for all 1Password clients (and particularly those in beta). Some features and improvements require that nobody is on older versions. We don't want to end up like Windows XP or have our protocols subject to downgrade attacks.

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

BTW, I have one more question. In the older version(0.4), I used to mention in "op signin " syntax and it won't ask a prompt for password entry. Now it is asking in the new version. Is that the approach for new versions?

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@sandeepmachiraju newer versions will not allow you to include the master password as a command argument, but it can be passed in via stdin (such as a pipe).

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

Thanks cohix for replying. From now onwards will keep an eye on 1password versions.

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@sandeepmachiraju happy to help!

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

@cohix BTW is there any API that we can use for automation instead of CLI?

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@sandeepmachiraju At this time there is not.

• Noble01
    Noble01
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@cohix says "newer versions will not allow you to include the master password as a command argument, but it can be passed in via stdin (such as a pipe)."

In our automations on Windows in PowerShell we've been using this call, passing in MASTER_PASSWORD as a parameter:
    Invoke-Expression $(.\op signin URL USERNAME SECRET_KEY MASTER_PASSWORD)

What is the call for "piping" in the MASTER_PASSWORD to avoid manually having to enter the MASTER_PASSWORD?

Thanks!

• sandeepmachiraju
    sandeepmachiraju
    Community Member

@cohix Is there any roadmap regarding the API?

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@sandeepmachiraju We don't have a roadmap to share unfortunately.

• Noble01
    Noble01
    Community Member

On Windows in PowerShell, what is the syntax for piping in the MASTER_PASSWORD to avoid having to manually enter the MASTER_PASSWORD?

Thanks!

• cohix
    cohix
    1Password Alumni

@Noble01 as I understand it, it is the same as Unix, using the pipe character |. On unix, it would be echo "masterpass" | op signin ... (of course we don't recommend using echo, but rather gpg decrypt or similar).

This discussion has been closed.