Can't make Local Vault with new install of 1Password 7

simsong
simsong
Community Member

I just did a full wipe of a laptop and reinstalled 1Password 7. I've been able to sync it with my family account. However, it has the super-hard-to-type-ultra-long-master-password, rather than the shorter local vault password that my desktop system uses. How do I set up the local vault so I can use that to remember the longer, harder-to-type password? The local vault setting seems to be absent now.

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7.2.4
OS Version: 10.14.2
Sync Type: agilebits

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@simsong - I'm sorry for the trouble! It's a bit hard to tell from just your description, but it sounds very much as if you created a different, longer and stronger Master Password when you created a 1password.com account. That's good - a stronger Master Password is always better - but if you were still using the older, shorter Master Password anywhere, then it sounds as if you may have been using both your 1password.com account AND your earlier, standalone Primary vault. Could that be the case? This is a potential setup for those people who understand what it is any why they're using it, but for most people, if you don't intentionally need to segregate your data into standalone and also 1password.com, then you should migrate your data from your older Primary vault into your newer 1password.com account, and then delete the Primary vault, so you it's not causing confusion and data duplication. Can you share a bit more about your intentions? Do you have data in a local Primary vault that is NOT yet transferred into your 1password.com account?

• simsong
    simsong
    Community Member

Hi Lars, thanks for the response. Computer1 I have 7 vaults, including 6 in my family account and one "On ICloud." The family master password is 30+ characters long. The iCloud master password is 10-15 characters and automatically unlocked the family account. Computer2 is the new install; it only has the family account; it does not show the iCloud vault, and it does not offer me the option of storing the master password for the family account in the local vault. It does not give me the option of creating a local vault. (WHen I say New vault, it only allows it to be created in the family account). How do I create a local vault and use it to hold the family password?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@simsong - if you're certain you know what you're doing and you intend to have both a 1password.com account (and it's vaults) and a standalone vault synced via iCloud, then all you need to do is click Preferences > Advanced and check the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1password accounts." This will replace the Master Password for your account with whatever new Master Password you create for this new Primary vault. Once that vault is created, click Preferences > Sync and choose to sync the new, empty Primary vault with iCloud. Your iCloud data will be imported and 1Password will unlock with the iCloud vault's password.

This discussion has been closed.