Pricing Structure, why is different for each app?

So I'm trying to view my passwords in the 1Password.html file on my iPhone and iPad. When I attempted to open 1Password.html in dropbox, the webpage said it couldn't and to open it in mobile safari. When I login to the dropbox website and open 1Password.html in mobile safari, I can view the page, but it never does anything when I enter my master password. What is the proper way to open 1Password.html on iOS without buying the app?

I'm also curious, why is 1Password free for Android, but fairly expensive for iOS? I just want an easy way to view my passwords on my iPhone and iPad and $15 seems like quite a bit, considering I just bought the full-featured Mac version for $20.

Comments

• It is outrageous that people who have paid for the Mac version have to pay an additional $15 to sync 1Password with their peripheral devices. Unbelievable.

LastPass is looking better and better.
  • +1. I was expecting the iOS version to be free. Why is the Android version free?
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    stevecr wrote:

It is outrageous that people who have paid for the Mac version have to pay an additional $15 to sync 1Password with their peripheral devices. Unbelievable.

LastPass is looking better and better.

Not according the the reviews in iTunes which give LastPass iPad a cool 3 stars. You get what you pay for generally.
  • ZildjianKX wrote:

Why is the Android version free?

The Android version is a read-only system. It is not possible to store new items or edit items from an Android device.
  • stevecr wrote:

It is outrageous that people who have paid for the Mac version have to pay an additional $15 to sync 1Password with their peripheral devices. Unbelievable.

We felt that it would be better / more fair to sell these separately rather than charge everyone (even those who do not have an iOS device) an extra $10 - $15. Plus, 1Password for iOS works really well as a stand-alone product, independent of a desktop platform. The iTunes store only allows for us to charge one price for everyone, regardless as to if they have the desktop version or not. It wouldn't really be fair to give away the iOS version to everyone if 1Password desktop users are front-loading the cost of development for it.
  • stevecr
    edited September 2011
    The iOS app should be $2.99. $15 is robbery when i've already paid $20. It's for the same acount, i just want to sync it with my ipad.

Dropbox is FREE and I can use that on every device I have.
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    stevecr wrote:

The iOS app should be $2.99. $15 is robbery when i've already paid $20. It's for the same acount, i just want to sync it with my ipad.

Dropbox is FREE for christsakes and I can use that on every device I have.

Totally different products and companies. Dropbox is a sync tool which is based on a Freemium model which means free for starters (2GB of data) and if you
    want/need more then it costs money. Being a sync tool for a service it's imperative that they deliver a free solution to end users in the hopes that these users
    end up subscribing to the premium service.

As Ben said 1PW on iOS is a separate product. Users do not have to own the Mac or Windows version and thus it has to be full featured enough to work on its own
    and that means more development.

$2.99 is a great price point and makes people feel good but I tend to think that good software is worth more if it really makes my life easier. $2.99 won't get you much food
    at a fast food restaurant and much more work goes into creating and supporting applications.
  • ZildjianKX
    edited September 2011
    bwoodruff wrote:

The Android version is a read-only system. It is not possible to store new items or edit items from an Android device.

Why not release a new version of the iOS Pro version that has the edit functionality removed so Mac users of 1Password can at least read their passwords on iOS for free like android can? You could even have an in-app purchase to add editabilty back.

Still bummed I missed Pro for iOS when it was free for a week. It's hard for me to shell out $15 for iOS Pro when the full featured Mac version was just on sale for $20.

Edit - Also, is there a current way to even read the 1Password.html on an iOS device? The master password is never accepted when I try it in Mobile Safari via getdropbox.com.
  • jgajon
    jgajon
    Community Member
    I think it's really sad that people have become accustomed to get software for 1 to 5 dollars.
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    ZildjianKX wrote:

Edit - Also, is there a current way to even read the 1Password.html on an iOS device? The master password is never accepted when I try it in Mobile Safari via getdropbox.com.

I just tried 1PasswordAnywhere on my iPhone and iPad. iPhone didn't like it but iPad ...worked like a charm.
  • hmurchison wrote:

I just tried 1PasswordAnywhere on my iPhone and iPad. iPhone didn't like it but iPad ...worked like a charm.

Did you just go to getdropbox.com, login, then clicked on the 1Password.html file? Just curious if I'm doing it the wrong way.
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    ZildjianKX wrote:

Did you just go to getdropbox.com, login, then clicked on the 1Password.html file? Just curious if I'm doing it the wrong way.

I tried to open up the file on my iPhone right from the Dropbox app and it told me I had to use Safari so I logged into dropbox.com from mobile safari and the
    iPhone did indeed prompt me for my Master Password after locating the html file but it didn't show me my login info. Could be a one time deal there I'll try again
    later. The iPad's safari was much better and presented the proper 1PasswordAnywhere interface after logging in.
  • hmurchison wrote:

I tried to open up the file on my iPhone right from the Dropbox app and it told me I had to use Safari so I logged into dropbox.com from mobile safari and the
    iPhone did indeed prompt me for my Master Password after locating the html file but it didn't show me my login info. Could be a one time deal there I'll try again
    later. The iPad's safari was much better and presented the proper 1PasswordAnywhere interface after logging in.

Hmm, weird, still doesn't work on my iPad. This is exactly why I want a read-only app like Android has :-/
  • MikeT
    edited September 2011
    Hi ZildjianKX,

A read-only iOS app is something we might do, we'll look into it.

As for the 1PasswordAnywhere, it does work in the Mobile Safari for iPad. I just tried it on my iPad and while it is a bit slow, it does open and unlock once you enter the master password, you may need to wait like 20-30 sec for it to unlock (it has to decrypt your data via slower software-based methods).
  • MikeT wrote:

Hi ZildjianKX,

A read-only iOS app is something we might do, we'll look into it.

As for the 1PasswordAnywhere, it does work in the Mobile Safari for iPad. I just tried it on my iPad and while it is a bit slow, it does open and unlock once you enter the master password, you may need to wait like 20-30 sec for it to unlock (it has to decrypt your data via slower software-based methods).

Hi MikeT,

Thanks for the reply. A read-only iOS app would be fantastic. Or if you guys ever decide to run a decent sale on the 1Password Pro, that would work too. I don't plan on using any of the edit features, I just want to read my passwords on my device (decent sale being $4.99 or less :) ).

I'll give 1PasswordAnywhere a try again, I wasn't that patient before :)
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    I agree with the read only iOS app. Some people need to edit and have the full meal deal on their mobile device but many just need a reference. I wonder if it would be trivial to just create a wrapper that leverages that html file in dropbox.
  • It'd be nice but we're not that type of company that'd use a wrapper. I also don't think it'd be any better than to use it in Mobile Safari, the performance would be the same. A read-only iOS app would make it much faster due to use of hardware acceleration to decrypt your data.
  • hmurchison
    hmurchison
    Community Member
    MikeT wrote:

It'd be nice but we're not that type of company that'd use a wrapper. I also don't think it'd be any better than to use it in Mobile Safari, the performance would be the same. A read-only iOS app would make it much faster due to use of hardware acceleration to decrypt your data.

Gotcha and I agree.
This discussion has been closed.