Feature Adjustment Request: One Password Mini Monitor Location

vcantrell
vcantrell
Community Member

Greetings, I have been a 1Password user for years and absolutely love it and recommend it to everyone. Can't say enough good things about 1Password.

One feature request I'd love to see implemented is an adjustment of where 1Password Mini appears when you use the hotkey. I am an IT professional and use 4 displays regularly on my workstations, and I rarely have 1Password on my center monitor as I like to have it always accessible from my side monitors. With the 1Password 7 update that changed many things, one of the things that changed was the way in which 1Password Mini appears. When you use the hotkey for Mini, it now pops up in the center of whatever monitor 1Password itself is located on. This is largely useless for me as if I was going to go over to that monitor, I would just use the 1Password app. If there's any way that it could appear on whatever monitor your mouse is currently on like it used to, that would really help me be able to start using Mini again. If that isn't an option for whatever reason, maybe having it appear on whatever monitor is set as your Primary monitor?

Thanks for your consideration.

-Vince

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• sethmad
    sethmad
    Community Member

I agree with this. On a laptop screen, the Mini window tends to appear right on top of the app window I want to fill with a password, which is frustrating. What's more, I can't seem to move the Mini window.

• Hi folks. Thanks for the feedback on this. It is possible to move mini, but the drag points are a little sensitive. Please try clicking and dragging on the area just above the text "Search 1Password." I recorded a video showing this:

[Here's a link to a video.](https://bucket.agilebits.com/tmp/ben/201902131310n590p.mp4)

Ben

• neumanc
    neumanc
    Community Member

@Ben What happen to how 1Password use to open (version 6) from Safari? I liked the dropdown option much better over the center screen option when clicking the 1Password icon from Safari top bar. This alone is driving me nuts and ready to switch back to V6. However V6 has a HUGE lag problem when unlocking the vault. Appears to be a bug/problem in Mojave

• What happen to how 1Password use to open (version 6) from Safari?

1Password mini was completely re-architected between v6 and v7.

This alone is driving me nuts and ready to switch back to V6.

I really couldn't recommend that. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser.

However V6 has a HUGE lag problem when unlocking the vault. Appears to be a bug/problem in Mojave

1Password 6 is no longer being developed, so any bugs that exist there are there to stay.

I liked the dropdown option much better over the center screen option when clicking the 1Password icon from Safari top bar.

You can drag 1Password mini (as seen in the video above). Once you've positioned it that position will be remembered and it'll continue to open where you left it. If you prefer it up by the icon you can drag it there. Does that help?

Ben

• mgoldner
    mgoldner
    Community Member

I'd add a +1 to the request to allow the old behavior that provided the drop-down list from the browser extension button (on Safari in my case). Now, whenever I click the button for a password I need to reorient myself to wherever 1Password has opened. With the old UX, it was almost always guaranteed that the site password that you wanted was just a few millimeters below the current position of your mouse.

I also tried your recommendation of dragging 1Password mini to the location but even in the best case you still need to move down and right significantly to choose the first site. Also, the positioning is specific to the screen rather than relative to the extension icon. As a result it doesn't work as expected if you have multiple browser windows and/or move your browser window to a new location.

• Thanks for the feedback on this @mgoldner. We'll continue to look for ways in which we can improve this.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.