Linked items

rctneil
rctneil
Community Member

Hello,

I have suggested this feature before and was told it's being investigated. This was quite a while back now and wondered if there was any progress?

My suggestion is that if two items are linked together then the link should be on both sides and not just one as it is now. If you link to another item, then when you view the other item, you should see the item that was linked from automatically.

This just seems to sound perfectly logical in my mind. What do you guys think?

Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rctneil - it is indeed still being looked into, though I've nothing to report at this time in terms of any developments. I don't necessarily agree that links should always be bidirectional, because I can envision situations - especially in multi-user Shared vaults - where that definitely might not be the case. But we will indeed continue to evaluate item linking for future iterations, and thanks for checking in with us. :)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

Ok, I do feel very strongly that it should at least be an option in preferences then at least. That way every user has the option to change it. OR

when you set up a link, it could ask if this should be one way or bi directional. Super flexible.

I really hope I won't have to enquire about this again in a years time like I am now though as it was last January I first suggested it and other people have posted their +1's too.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rctneil - we really do appreciate the feedback and suggestions, as well as users taking the time to share their use-cases with us; it helps us learn ways we might not even have imagined that people are using - or would like to use - 1Password. So thanks for taking the time to be part of that tradition of community involvement and feedback. Over time, many of the features you see today in 1Password were incorporated at least in part from suggestions from the user community.

That said, I want to make you and anyone else reading this thread is clear that we don't incorporate every suggestion we receive from users into 1Password, and how we incorporate user feedback/suggestions doesn't work on a "votes" or "+1" system. There are features we get asked for regularly that are almost certainly never going to be part of 1Password for one reason or another. This isn't one of those (at least, not that I'm aware of -- or I would tell you so, and our reasoning). But even among the feature requests or improvements we don't think we either won't or can't do, it's not as simple as "sure, we'll be getting to this in XXX days/weeks." There are many more suggestions than we have time and developer cycles to work on, and shifting priorities that may change as things in macOS or elsewhere also change. I don't want to put too fine a point on it, but just because something was requested doesn't mean it's absolutely going to make it into 1Password.

However, I'm more than happy to share your renewed enthusiasm for this feature with the development team, and thanks again for the suggestion and for being a 1Password user. :)

• rctneil
    rctneil
    Community Member

@Lars , Apologies, I striked out with that message. Sorry. I totally expected you to reply along those lines. I understand, totally.

Got it! :-)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@rctneil - thanks for understanding. :)

This discussion has been closed.