Change Primary vault?

dke
dke
Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Pwd 6 to 1Pwd 7 and signed up for a membership. I'm using multiple Mac computers and an iPhone. My vault is synced with Dropbox. When I installed and set up the new version my previous vault was converted to the new format and seems to work fine and sync across devices, but the old vault is still there and I can't get rid of it. If I sign in on the website and look at my default vault there, it is the old one, and it doesn't reflect any new changes that I make. I don't see any way to change this, and the app doesn't allow me to delete this vault (if I switch to it, the Delete Vault option is greyed out). I do have the option to delete the new vault, but that's the one that I want to use. How do I make the new vault the primary one and get rid of the old one?

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.2.4 (70204000) AgileBits Sto
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3, OS X 10.13.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:multiple copies of vault

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @dke! If you signed up for a 1password.com membership, then that means you've created a 1password.com account that syncs via the 1password.com servers, instead of sticking with the standalone format you were previously using where you were syncing via Dropbox. It also sounds as if you chose not to delete your previous standalone vault during the migration process. That would leave you with two copies of your data, identical in the beginning, but - as you say - becoming dissimilar as you make changes to the data in one particular vault or the other.

You'll need to remove the vault called "Primary" instead of the Personal vault -- you can do this by clicking Preferences > Advanced and UN-checking the box marked "Allow creation of vaults outside 1password accounts." Then you'll have only the Personal vault, synced everywhere. On your other devices, use these instructions to sign into your account and remove that older Primary vault. Let me know if you have any questions.

• dke
    dke
    Community Member

Ok, thanks for clarifying. I didn't realize that I wouldn't need Dropbox to sync anymore if I had a membership, so that's why I kept the previous vault. It sounds like what I should do then is delete the Dropbox vault and keep the Primary vault. They haven't diverged much yet. I'm a bit confused about what to do on my phone though. It's syncing to Dropbox right now -- if I stop that syncing, remove the Dropbox vault, and sign in with my membership, it will then sync with the vault on the 1password servers?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dke

It sounds like what I should do then is delete the Dropbox vault and keep the Primary vault.

No. The Primary vault is the standalone vault, and it is synced via Dropbox. The vault called either "Personal" or "Private" (depending on what kind of account you opened) is the one you can view online at 1password.com and the one you want to keep. Please use the Preferences > Advanced instructions I gave above to remove the Dropbox-synced Primary vault.

...if I stop that syncing, remove the Dropbox vault, and sign in with my membership, it will then sync with the vault on the 1password servers?

Please use the instructions for iOS devices at the link I gave in my earlier reply:

1. Sign in to your new account on your iPhone
    2. Tap Settings > Vaults > Primary.
    3. Tap Delete Vault.

That should get you where you want to be, with only your new 1password.com account's vaults, on all your devices, syncing without Dropbox.

• dke
    dke
    Community Member

Ok, I think I've got it now... was confused about what Primary vs Personal meant, but now I've deleted the Dropbox versions and have only the Personal vault everywhere. Thanks for your help!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dke - awesome! Glad I was able to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.