making a shared subset of records

greenday
greenday
Community Member
edited February 2019 in Families

I have the Family plan and am the administrator. I created a separate vault for my father's passwords, which he uses sporadically and to which I have access. He just hired an employee who needs access to a subset of his vault records (eg web host passwords). In the ideal world, I could Copy those records to a new vault and give the employee access to that new vault. But my understanding is Copied records don't stay in sync, so that's a mess. I could also Move those records into the new vault, and give my father access to both his personal vault and the new employee vault. However, to do this, I'd need to set his default view for records to be All Vaults, and the default for his new records to be his Personal vault. Can I control these defaults for him? He's not tech savvy ( I can barely get him to use the software! he will not do any kind of vault switching). Also, I don't live near him, so I can't make changes to his settings in person at his computer. And I don't want the employee to have access to his account to make the changes, either. OR, is there a simpler way? I use a Mac, he uses a PC, if that makes a difference. Not sure which Windows version he uses.

ref: FKN-43639-852

1Password Version: 7.1.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.12.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:sharing records to more than one vault

Comments

• Hi @greenday

I believe my colleague Mhyar has already been in touch with your via email about this, but if you have further questions please let us know. :+1:

Ben

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Yes, Mhyar was very helpful. For any other readers of this post, I wound up making a new vault for the guest and moved into it the relevant passwords. I gave the guest access to the new vault, as well as my father. I asked my father's employee to set my father's view to All Vaults so he could see everything he used to see. Not the ideal situation, but it's workable.

Mhyar said that on the PC, one cannot set a default vault to save new passwords to. So I have no idea how 1P will act when my father creates new records when he is Viewing All Vaults.

Do you happen to know, Ben?

• Mhyar said that on the PC, one cannot set a default vault to save new passwords to. So I have no idea how 1P will act when my father creates new records when he is Viewing All Vaults.

I'm not privy to that conversation unfortunately so I couldn't say for sure off-hand, but I believe he may have misunderstood the question. It is possible to change the default vault for saving new items to on Windows:

Use All Vaults to see all your items at once

To manage your settings, choose 1Password > Settings, then click Vaults:

To change the vaults included when you view All Vaults, select or deselect them.
    To change where new items are saved, choose a vault from the “Vault for saving” pop-up menu.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• greenday
    greenday
    Community Member

Perfect. I'll tell his employee to make that setting change, which will make his life easier. Thanks, Ben. <3 to 1P.

• You're very welcome. Thank you for the kind words. :) If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.