To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Hi ! Don't understand the general idea of a "Family" subscription......

Options
uliauer
uliauer
Community Member

Hi there,
considering using 1Password but I did not understand yet what exactly a "Family" membership means. Is it like 5 separate "single/Personal" accounts with 5 master passwords (just like having 5 user licenses for MS Offce etc) or is it just one single account that can be used on 5 devices or by five people all using the same MP ?

I would like to have a solution for 4 family members all using combinations of desktop/ laptop macs and their iPhones and/or iPads.....there's not necessarily need for "cross-sharing" any password data, but there are some cases where this would make sense indeed (like Netflix, Amazon Prime and Spotify family accounts used by everybody)....so which membership would fit my needs then ? And is there a limited number of devices usable per person (I'm using our "max" of 3 Macs + iPhone + iPad).....

Thanks for your efforts and best regards,

Uli

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Hi ! Don't understand the general idea of a "Family" subscription......

Comments

• Felicity
    Felicity
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Uli
    I'm pretty sure it sounds like 1Password Families is the subscription for you.
    Five people can have individual accounts under one subscription. Each person can have a personal vault with their own master password. You can also share information for things like Netflix, Spotify and Amazon Prime... it's the safest way!
    There are no licenses so you can install 1Password on as many devices or computers as your family owns.
    I hope this helps!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the assistance here, @Felicity. :)

@uliauer

Felicity pretty well covered it. All I'd expand on is that 1Password membership includes the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices. With 1Password Families this includes the devices of all of your invited family members as well. You can read more about how membership works / what it offers here:

About 1Password membership

Each person you invite does get their own set of credentials that they establish. With that they will also get their own "Private" vault which cannot be shared. There is a default built-in "Shared" vault which is shared with everyone you invite. Using the latter vault may make sense for things like the Netflix account, etc. There may be cause to create additional shared vaults that are only shared with specific people. For example, there may be a joint bank account that is shared between you and your spouse, but the kids don't need / shouldn't have access. Specifics on how to invite your family to create accounts within your 1Password membership and share data with them can be found in this guide:

Share passwords in 1Password Families

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• uliauer
    uliauer
    Community Member
    Options

Great ! Thanks, Felicity and Ben, for the clarification....! :)

Just another question that popped up reading your replies:

What if I need to log into accounts (like Netflix for example) being secured by a (30 digits of chaos like "5h456f59ed1hpr83elkxxx59aP") password that has been generated by 1Password on a public or be it a friend's computer or media receiver etc.....? How do I get my password (which I don't know myself) then ?

Best,

Uli

• Ben
    Options

@uliauer

We really couldn't recommend using untrusted devices, including public computers, to sign in to your accounts. That said, for any passwords you may need to memorize or type, you may want to consider using the "words" recipe in the password generator:

Does that help?

Ben

• uliauer
    uliauer
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. I'll check this out once I have time to dive into 1Password for real....til now I'm just dealing with it "theoretically"....;-)

Thanks for the advice though.....

I see that it's not recommended in general using (likely) untrustful devices in general....but you know that sometimes it's necessary or at least useful to do that - just like in the Netflix example I've mentioned.....

Another question: What happens if I change a password of a particular account with the password generator - let's say just in order to change it for security reasons after a certain time period like 6 months has passed.....would all of my used devices automatically take care of that change "in the background" ?

Best,

Uli

• Ben
    Options

1Password syncs your data automatically when using a 1Password membership, so yes, all of your devices would reflect the change. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.