Tag display ordering

jpbene
jpbene
Community Member

Is there a way to force 1P to display the tags added to an item (not the tags displayed in the side bar) in alphabetical order? I've found that not only are they not displayed in order but copying/pasting from one item to another may result in a different ordering.

1Password Version: 6.8.8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password.com
Referrer: forum-search:tags

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jpbene - If you have a 1password.com account, adding tags and then clicking "Save" in 1Password for Mac should re-order the tags automatically into alphabetical order. if you're using standalone 1Password, the process should be the same, but doesn't always work as reliably.

• jpbene
    jpbene
    Community Member

Thanks Lars. I tried that and, in my experience, it simply saves them in the order entered: 'tagZ, tagA' etc. without regard to alphabetizing. As a side note--I find that, despite the fact that tags in the standalone version don't seem to follow a predictable ordering scheme, at least a list of pre-existing tags pop up as you match previously saved tags and, additionally, you can drag an item to a tag to assign it.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@jpbene

a list of pre-existing tags pop up as you match previously saved tags and, additionally, you can drag an item to a tag to assign it.

Yep, all of this is possible. If it's any help, I filed the alphabetizing issue internally as a bug, so while I obviously have no idea when that might be addressed, it's at least now on the developers' radar. Thanks for reporting! :)

ref: apple-3143

• Paul_K
    Paul_K
    Community Member

It is very hard to quickly and visually compare set Tags if the order changes randomly. Tags are still all over the place within the 1Password Desktop App for Mac. @Lars is there any way to see how this is going to be fixed? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/40860/tag-order-in-item-view dates back to 2015 ... How is this still an issue?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

Welcome to the forum, @Paul_K! There's no "user-serviceable" way to track such bugs, no.

https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/40860/tag-order-in-item-view dates back to 2015 ... How is this still an issue?

It's still an issue because of other priorities. As you might imagine, we've got a fairly full plate of issues/improvements/bug fixes at any given time, and we have to prioritize developer time. Issues that are easy (or at least quick) fixes usually get taken care of fairly rapidly, even if there are other, more weighty matters). But if an issue that's lower-priority (as Tag order would be, compared with, say, security or other issues) is something that will require significant developer time, and/or require cross-platform input because it affects other teams or the server as well, it can take a while for it to get completed.

I realize that's not the answer you were probably hoping for, but I can reiterate that our development team is aware of this issue, and I'll add your voice to those affected/requesting a fix. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience. Thanks.

• Paul_K
    Paul_K
    Community Member

4 Years :| Seems to be lowest priority ever. But thank you.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@Paul_K - you're welcome. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.