duplicate passwords flagged when there aren't duplicates?

Options
2»

Comments

• NateS
    NateS
    Community Member
    Options

Lars, I now see only my 1Password.com account vaults. All others have been deleted.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I'm sorry for the confusion, @NateS -- you see only your 1password.com vaults...and you're still seeing hundreds of Reused Password warnings?

• NateS
    NateS
    Community Member
    edited November 2018
    Options

Lars, I have browsed through the entries under "Reused Passwords" and in most cases, though not all, the pair consists of one entry with a unique icon which contains both the user name and the password, and another entry with a standard "key" icon which contains only the password, and their creation dates are only one or two minutes apart. Sometimes even within the same minute of creation.
    Q 1 - What did I do to cause 1Password to create these "key" icon entries with only a password almost simultaneously in time with their twin containing both user name and password?
    Q 2 - If the blame lies with me, what can I do henceforth to avoid creating such pairs in the future?
    Q 3 - Is there a way to gather up only those entries so I can select and delete them in one key stroke without deleting "key" icons that have no pair? (I'm not about of course to go through 879 entries to study and delete only those so described above, but I would be glad to do it with a global select and delete if you can tell me how to define the search.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@NateS

Lars, I have browsed through the entries under "Reused Passwords" and in most cases, though not all, the pair consists of one entry with a unique icon which contains both the user name and the password, and another entry with a standard "key" icon which contains only the password, and their creation dates are only one or two minutes apart.

Right. That's because you generated a password for that site (good for you!) -- that creates the "key" item, which is a Password item -- and then you saved it as a Login item when 1Password asked you if you wanted to do this. That's why you have two items. That said, we did have a bug where these were being listed as "Reused" when clearly, they're not re-used, they're the same thing. We've addressed this bug in the most-recent beta of 7.2.2.BETA-5. If you're not opposed to running beta software, you can grab a copy of 7.2.2.BETA-5 here and install it; that should remove most of this type of inaccurate "Reused" warning. Make sure you Quit 1Password 7 Completely by typing ^⌥⌘Q (or just holding down the Control and Option keys as you choose Quit from the 1Password menu) before running the installer, then have at it. Let me know how that works for you.

To answer your unspoken question, we create the "key" (Password) item any time you generate a password because sometimes, users don't save it as a Login item but still want to use it later, and other times, frankly (though we hope these are few), due to the way the Login page is structured, 1Password chokes on offering you the option to save the item as a Login...and if we didn't save it as a Password item, you'd have NO record of it on those times that offering to save as a Login failed. So you'll always have these "key" (Password) items, and that's a good thing. Most of the time you don't have to worry about them -- and if you install the beta of 7.2.2, it should be resolved. If you're NOT willing to install the beta, we should be releasing the stable version in the pretty near future, so you can just hang tight for a bit, and update to the stable release when that's available. Your choice. Hope this helps explain things.

• DarrinH
    DarrinH
    Community Member
    Options

This is an older topic, so hopefully I'm not resurrecting a zombie thread (I did search for something more current), but I am having a similar issue.

I just migrated my standalone 1Password vault to a family subscription this evening, and while doing the migration, I left my Primary vault active so I could be sure everything worked okay (I was hoping I could just disable it and keep it around as a backup, but that doesn't seem possible). As expected, because there were two vaults with duplicate passwords, everything was flagged as reused. After exporting the Primary vault data and deleting it, most of the warnings went away, however, there are still a number of duplicate warnings that remain.

In some cases, the warnings are accurate because we have logins with duplicate passwords, but the count of duplicates is incorrect. For example, one entry shows the reused password warning and states 5 other items, but when I click on the dropdown to show them, it only lists 2 other duplicates (which is correct). If I look at reused passwords under watchtower, it correctly shows 3 total logins with that reused password.

In other cases, the warning is wrong as the login does not use a duplicate password. The warning will indicate 1 other duplicate item, but when I click on the dropdown it lists (and does) nothing. If I then check the watchtower reused passwords list for that password, it shows only the single login.

In both examples above, I have "all vaults" selected. And under vault preferences, it only shows my family account which currently has only two active vaults (private and shared) with both checked enabled. FYI, the old "Primary" vault is no longer listed. Also, for the shared vault I moved all the entries rather than copy them, to ensure that each vault has unique entries.

I assume the issue is because deleting the primary vault didn't fully update the database, or somehow the reused password count on each entry didn't get updated for some of the entries. Going down the list of reused passwords in watchtower, not a single one shows the correct count... if an entry is listed, it is off by at least 1.

Is there any way to force the app to rescan the reused list and update the count properly? I tried disabling watchtower (by unchecking the 3 boxes) and re-enabling them to see if that would force a rescan or something, but it did nothing, but I wasn't really expecting it to.

I have been trying to figure out how to do it myself for a while now to no avail. I am using my iMac (running OSX 10.14.3) as the host while migrating everything if that helps.

Thanks!

• DarrinH
    DarrinH
    Community Member
    Options

I'm not sure what happened but after updating my other devices to use the new subscription plan, the reused password warnings fixed themselves. Now it is working as expected. Perhaps it just took some time for the database to update.

Along the way, I ended up moving a few more logins from Private to Shared and cleared the trash. Aside from that, nothing else should have changed other than adding a few more devices. Maybe it was finding the duplicates in the trash? I would hope not, but I suppose that is possible. It wouldn't explain all the unusual counts but it could account for a few of them at least.

I don't know if any of that suggests something to look into, but since it is working for me now, I'm good. :)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DarrinH - Thanks for the update. That's excellent news! I’d like to be able to say I’m glad I could help you get things squared away, but if the problem righted itself, I can’t hardly claim any credit for it. :-) However, around here, we’ve learned to call a win a win whether we had a hand in it or not.

Keep an eye on things and please let us know if the problem recurs or if there's anything further we can do to assist you. Otherwise, have a great week, and thanks for being a 1Password user!

This discussion has been closed.