Password Change Problem using 1password extension in Chrome on mac.

Options

Logged into a website, creating a new login entry in 1password. Then went to that site's password change page, filled in old password from the 1password extension, and used 1password extension's generation capability to generate a new, stronger password. Completed the password change on the web page and the page acknowledged the password change. But 1password did not prompt me to Update Existing. So 1password never recorded the change. Now I'll be locked out of the website until I request a temporary password from them. I've been creating 1password login entries today and then strengthening the passwords and this same non-prompt has happened twice out of seven password changes.

1Password Version: 6.8.5
Extension Version: 4.6.12.90
OS Version: OS X 10.13.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Changing password problem

Comments

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

The password is not lost. You can find it in the Passwords category: https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

• paul_user49
    paul_user49
    Community Member
    Options

Ok. That allows me to correct 1password for when it made these errors, but it's slow and clunky. How do I get 1password Chrome extension to reliably prompt me for "Update Existing" after generating and saving the changed password?

• pervel
    pervel
    Community Member
    Options

It's not perfect because every password change page is different so it will never be 100% reliable. Personally, I solve it by doing a logout/login after changing the password. That usually prompts me to update the existing login.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@paul_user49: Definitely let us know the URL where you're running into trouble (thank you for the version information!) so we can investigate and see if there's something we can do to make 1Password smarter in the future.

Another benefit of pervel 's suggestion is that saving a login on the login page streamlines things going forward: 1Password can take you right there. Cheers! :)

• udim
    udim
    Community Member
    Options

I'm using the chrome extension and there is no "passwords" category.
    You can find generated passwords under the extension menu (or ctrl-shift-x) -> password generator -> generator history.
    Please update your documentation!

• ag_sebastian
    ag_sebastian
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @udim, it sounds like you're using 1Password X instead of the standard extension. Having said that, you should still be able to see the Passwords category, like on the screenshot below.

You can indeed find the generated password through the generator history, so perhaps we should update the documentation to include 1Password X. Thanks for your report. :)

• udim
    udim
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @ag_sebastian , I have only used 1Password X chrome extensions (on mac os and chrome os) and the Android app. There is no Passwords category in my vault.
    I can make it appear by adding a new Password entry, but when I generate passwords they don't get added there (but do appear in the Password Generator history).

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @udim,

1Password X handles certain tasks quite a bit differently from how they're done in the Mac and Windows native clients. 1Password for Mac/Windows create the Password item because the prompt to save only appears after the page has been submitted and even with the best will in the world something could go wrong. The Password item is there as the safety net.

1Password X still needs a safety net but in theory its less applicable here given the prompt to save/update happens as soon as you generate the password. 1Password X basically stores the same details but in a different manner which is why they won't appear as Password items in 1Password for Mac. It will be accessible to any copy of 1Password X when you visit the same domain and access the Password Generator from the toolbar menu.

Much of the documentation does more reflect the native client and the companion extension and that will be something we need to address.

This discussion has been closed.