Questions about 1Password 7 and new account

Options
This discussion was created from comments split from: tag items in extension (minibar).

Comments

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Wish somebody would answer as i have several other questions. I tried to update to 1pw7 and found that the only way to 'update' was to create a new account. Is that true? Why? It looks like the new account is now on your servers somewhere. Is that mandatory? I don't like to have this kind of information on some server where it can be stolen. (I have seen too many instances where this has happened even though the companies 'swear' that they protect the information!) I realize that 1pw4 used dropbox to store my info and that is also another server somewhere. So where is the info now?
    When i created the new account, i cannot go to support for it. At least, my1passport.com/home will not let me. How do i get support under that account?
    Finally, when i created the new account, i was asked to move or merge my 1pw4 data into it and remove/uninstall 1pw4 which i have not done to date. When/if I do, can i still access my saved account data?
    Regards

• Hi @hjhermans,

Thanks for writing in.

I tried to update to 1pw7 and found that the only way to 'update' was to create a new account. Is that true?

No, you can buy a standalone license in addition to signing up for 1Password.com membership.

It looks like the new account is now on your servers somewhere. Is that mandatory?

No.

I don't like to have this kind of information on some server where it can be stolen. (I have seen too many instances where this has happened even though the companies 'swear' that they protect the information!)

You're using Dropbox to sync your 1Password data, so it is already on the third party servers, only managed by Dropbox instead of us. You'd find your 1Password data within the Dropbox folder on your computer, their website and other devices with your Dropbox account connected.

The difference between us and other companies is that we don't have access to your encryption keys, you hold the keys to the encrypted data and the only thing that is stored on our service is the random encrypted blobs. If we get attacked, there's nothing that they can do to decrypt your data without knowing your master password in addition to your secret key. Even if they figured out your password, they still can't know because they need the secret key to decrypt your data and vis versa.

In other words, it is actually rare to see other companies employing true end to end encryption like we do.

I'd recommend going through our security page here on how we protect your data from your local device before it even reaches our service: https://1password.com/security/

When i created the new account, i cannot go to support for it. At least, my1passport.com/home will not let me. How do i get support under that account?

Can you clarify what you mean by support? You must have a 1Password.com account to access your 1Password data on that address.

The support for 1Password is the same for both standalone licenses and 1Password.com members; there is no separate support channel for 1Password.com members unless you have 1Password Business plan, which goes through a dedicated team instead.

When/if I do, can i still access my saved account data?

Yes, uninstalling 1Password 4 will not remove your standalone vault data, it'll remain on that drive for good. You can always reinstall 1Password 4 and pick up where you left off.

This discussion has been closed.