Chrome's sync keeps bringing back passwords I've deleted (doesn't sync delete)

Options

I migrated to 1Password on my Ubuntu box at home. After I successfully synced everything (I had to use a third party tool to extract my passwords from Firefox, and then edit the columns of the CSV), I deleted all my passwords from Chromium (Ubuntu).

Then I fired up Chrome on one of my windows machines... and it dutifully resynched all the passwords back again :-/

Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.2.581
Extension Version: 1.12.2
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 17134.376
Sync Type: Chrome 70.0.3538.77

Comments

• Hi @adfhogan,

Thanks for writing in.

I just want to be clear; when you said you migrated to 1Password, does that mean you've used the 1Password X extension to import the passwords from Chromium? If yes, you opened up Chrome on another PC and the passwords are back in Chrome's passwords list?

We do not sync anything to the browser's built-in password manager, that's for sure. It sounds like Google isn't syncing the deletions properly. Are both Chromium and Chrome signed in to the same account? If yes, try to reset the password data and disable the password sync in your Google account. Google said you can manage the data here: chrome://settings/passwords and https://passwords.google.com/

• adfhogan
    adfhogan
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Mike..

Awhile since I wrote this..

In the end I found out that if you enable additional security on password saving in Chrome's internal password feature, you can't manage from Google's password site, and can only do it in the browser, BUT Chrome will dutifully sync any passwords it doesn't find on the server in the local copy of Chrome whenever you start Chrome up if passwords are set to sync... It doesn't have a concept of previously purged logins (kiinda makes sense in that they shouldn't keep a record of passwords that have been deleted, but perhaps they could be more intelligent on sync dates). So then, for every machine you log into, it'll upload any password that doesn't exist in the cloud, back to the cloud... on every browser you're signed in on... and then sync that down to every browser with sync enabled.. Wheeeeeee :)

In the end, I had to:

• Reset my Google cloud password sync state to remove the additional level of security, to allow deletion of passwords in the cloud from the web, rather than Chrome instances
    • Wipe every password from each Chrome instance I was logged into, and disable password sync to stop things coming back before I had cleared every device
    • Go to the Google password site and delete everything there

It was painful! ... but not 1Password's fault.

• Hi @adfhogan,

Christ, that's.....insane and scary, it shouldn't be that confusing and complicated. Hopefully, they'll improve that.

I'd recommend writing in to their support if possible because it should be easy to do what you want in a clear manner.

This discussion has been closed.