One-Time Password is invalid in Windows version [Check Windows' time settings]

Options
idaviddesmet
idaviddesmet
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'm using the latest version of 1Password for Windows and noticed while I was trying to sign in to a site that the code is invalid. I waited for the next code and tried once again with the same result. Instead of giving another try and locking out my account, I opted for looking at the code generated in the iOS app and to my surprise, noticed that all my accounts with TOTP have different codes from the ones generated by the windows app.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 (1809)
Sync Type: 1Password Subscription

Comments

• Russianwaff1e
    Russianwaff1e
    Community Member
    Options

I’m having the same issue as you, I’m using the beta version on windows 10 and iOS 12. I was having the issue before hand and it’s still happening, it seems like this may have been happening for a while I hope a they can fix. When I used to use last pass I wouldn’t have the issue of usekmg totp from Any device I logged into. 1password is the best by the way :)

• MikeT
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi guys,

@idaviddesmet @Russianwaff1e,

99.99% of the times, this is caused by having incorrect time settings in your Windows OS. The fact that it works fine in the iOS version confirms this because the One Time Password doesn't change at all within 1Password, it stays the same but we use the local system's time to convert the One Time Password into the TOTP digits.

Please double check your time settings, make sure it is syncing to a time server.

You can also check https://time.is in your browser to make sure it is accurate.

• idaviddesmet
    idaviddesmet
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @MikeT

That makes sense! I'm checking with the URL provided and I'm behind by 1 min 40 sec. My time and zone are set to sync automatically on Windows but since I'm behind a firewall, that might be the issue.

• Yep, you'll want to get that fixed because time is becoming an vital part of security and the more you're behind, you'll start to see security warnings on certain sites.

This discussion has been closed.