1Password Upgrade Nightmare 40+ Days Later

Hi:

I was working with a tech person at 1Password in attempts to solve my numerous issues after upgrading to version 7. I made the mistake of upgrading from version 4 (which I completely loved) to version 7 and the issues have been so numerous and so time consuming I wouldn't use this program if it was completely free (sorry just being honest). Needless to say I'm trying to migrate to another password manager. Is exporting my data from 1Password's website subscription better than when it comes from version 7? I've exported my data from version 7 to the .CSV file and the data was scattered all over the spreadsheet and never imported correctly. Am I better off uploading it to the subscription-based service then exporting it from there?

thanks!

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 3.657
OS Version: Windows 7 x64
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• KayN
    KayN
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

I agree. Upgrading from 4 to 7 due to chrome extension no longer supporting 4 has been a nightmare.
    Finally set it up but somehow duplicated the files. Can’t figure out how to correct.
    HATE that file folders have been eliminated.
    Support is really little to none.
    Checking out other password managers too.
    02/03/2019

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @keaco,

I am really sorry to hear you have such experience with 1Password! If you shared your feedback regarding 1Password 7 and the issues that you had, it will be really appreciated and help us get better.

As for the issues with export: there is indeed a known issue with export in the current version of 1Password 7 for Windows, which we plan to address in one of our future updates. I am sorry for these troubles. Am I right to understand that you want to export your data to .CSV and then import it to a different password manager? Does that manager supports .CSV import only? Please let us know.

@KayN: I apologise for these troubles with 1Password 7. I found your email on our side and will send a follow-up message now. Will be happy to help you with the duplicated files and other issues. Thanks again!

Cheers,
    Greg

ref: PFZ-31477-533

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

Greg:

Does 1Password 7 export successfully to any format at all? If so which ones? I'm rethinking using any password manager at this point since this has crippled me like I've never imagined and now I feel trapped. Opening 1Password now always takes 2 attempts never works without first existing the program from the systray and relaunching it and starting again. For the sake of your company I hope there are only a few people who are unhappy with version 7.

• bundtkate
    edited February 2019

Your best bet, @keaco, will depend on how the destination password manger wants data formatted. Many will import 1PIF, for example, and that tends to be best when available. CSV is great because it's fairly universal, but what each password manager exports and how it expects data it imports to be formatted vary so widely, it's tough to use in practice. We could have our CSV export perfectly for one password manager and it would end up garbled for another. I'd give my kingdom for a standard, but I'd probably need a more tempting kingdom to manage it. :wink:

If 1PIF import is an option for you, 1Password 4 can open the same vault format 1Password 7 can (OPVault) and can export to 1PIF, so I'd suggest using 1Password 4 to export. If you need CSV, I'd suggest giving 1Password 4's CSV export a try as well as it does work differently from 7 and may work better for your chosen home for your data. Also, on the off-chance some of your troubles were related to AgileKeychain to OPVault conversion, you can even rename the 1Password.legacyagilekeychain back to 1Password.agilekeychain and open that in 1Password 4 again if you have any need to do so and export that data instead of 1Password 7's OPVault. Totally up to you, but those are a few options depending on your needs.

I'd also be curious to take a peek at your e-mail. I promise, I won't try to change your mind (unless you'd like me to take a second look), but it's tough to improve things when information about the troubles y'all had get lost and I'd love to make sure your experience makes its way to our development team so should you ever give 1Password 7 another try you'll hopefully be greeted with an improved experience. If you're willing to share your support ID ([#ABC-12345-678], for example), I'd appreciate it a ton.

And, of course, if I can do anything more to help, you know where to find me. :chuffed:

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@bundtkate thanks for the reply. When I go into my Dropbox (in opvault) I have over 28,000 and counting,
    conflicting files that are being generated for some reason.

You mentioned > 1Password.legacyagilekeychain and I'm not sure where that is located...? Or did you mean > 1Password.agilekeychain?

thanks for your reply.

• You don't need to worry about the files @kaeco, it's the 1Password.opvault folder you'd want to point 1Password 4 to. That said, jeebus, that is a ton of conflict files. Looks like there's something of a conflict loop going on for you. Given that, I'd more strongly recommend using the Agile Keychain if you can manage it. If you look in Dropbox, there should be a 1Password.legacyagilekeychain if you imported your data the way I normally advise. When you open an Agile Keychain in 1Password 7, it renames it to legacy and creates a new OPVault from its data. If you don't see one, but do see 1Password.agilekeychain, though, might be that you took a different path to 1Password 7 and won't have one marked legacy. If you do see 1Password.agilekeychain in Dropbox, I'd open that in 1Password 4, double-check that it's accurate (just in case it's an orphan and outdated keychain) and use that to export.

Also, and I promise I'm not just being sneaky here, if I can peek at your prior conversation with support and it has any diagnostics reports included, I can probably use those to give you more definitive direction. I understand if you're just looking to put that behind you and am happy to guide this way as well, but if you're up for it the prior conversation could probably help me speed things up. :+1:

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@bundtkate I reinstalled version 4 and pointed it to > 1Password.agilekeychain and it seems all the old info is in there, nothing new as far as I can tell. I'm just about 100% sure > 1Password.legacyagilekeychain doesn't exist. I've searched Dropbox several times and nothing comes up. Sorry I don't know what you mean by the support ID. I don't see anything like that, the person I've been speaking to, her name was Trace. I think she became fedup with my questions and stopped responding after my Feb 1 email, we've had a "penpal-like relationship" for over a month so I don't blame her. I have a feeling rewinding back to version 4 is way too good to be true but to see that version again is a breath of freshair that's for sure. Logging back in to version 7 just makes my blood boil, they even took out the basic backup/restore function! The changes there are enough to make me talk to myself.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@bundtkate I've noticed in Dropbox within those 28,000 files, some won't sync. Dropbox says "access denied." I'm trying to get back to version 4.

• @kaeco: Dropbox say access denied? Well now that's certainly odd. Ultimately, we actually don't control any of that sync process. What we do is read your data directly from your local Dropbox folder. In the case of v4, that's about the end of it. With v7 we transfer that data into a local internal database as well to speed up read/unlock as well as allow for offline read/write that's a bit more seamless than relying exclusively on your local Dropbox folder. This makes it sound like for some reason Dropbox isn't allowing us to write to that folder, but the why is a bit beyond me. I'd almost think that would have to be Windows restricting the local folder? I don't think Dropbox settings would apply to the folder itself – only to your Dropbox account which should only be an issue were 1Password connecting via API, which isn't the case for the desktop apps, just mobile. Anyway, an interesting puzzle, but I don't think we're at a point where we need to address that just yet and I'm not about to ask you to dig around just to indulge my curiosity. :wink:

So, let's talk data a moment. Sounds like that agilekeychain is working in 1Password 4, but is missing some recent additions, about right? In that case, I would suggest making a copy of your OPVault from Dropbox and saving it somewhere locally to open in 1Password 4. Desktop, documents, whatever works, just not Dropbox. This way, we're not going to impact your data elsewhere by opening it in 1Password 4 and can double-check it works well for you in a fairly isolated environment, which is something I'm more comfortable asking you to do without knowing what was giving you trouble before. Once you've saved that copy, choose File > Open 1Password vault in 1Password 4 and point it to the copy of your OPVault off Dropbox. Take a look around, see if everything looks okay. If all is well you can export to CSV or 1PIF as needed in 1Password 4. Or, if you'd like to just stick with 1Password 4 (always an option), I can help you sync it up with other devices. :+1:

Give it a go and let me know what you think. :chuffed:

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

Do you guys offer remote tech support? I just want to take care of this in one setting instead of over months. I work as a consultant so I'm always on the road and this kind of back and forth drives me up a wall. I'll pay someone from your company to remote in and help me, I dont care. I just want to get this fixed and I'll make a promise to NEVER bother you guys again I swear. I was looking at another password manager and I didnt even ask them to call me and they did anyway to see if I needed any help or had questions, come on guys is this really how you help your customers?

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member

keaco
    id be willing to help remotely, but I'm just a random stranger and even i wouldn't advise letting a stranger remotely onto your PC...soooo

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@res1492 👍

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi guys,

@keaco I'm sorry but we cannot provide remote session nor real time support right now.

We want to help you fix this but your issue is not something we've seen before, so there's no quick fix for it, especially since we can't provide support for Dropbox issues as it is a third party tool (we do offer our own integrated 1Password sync with 1Password.com membership). Our suggestion is to switch back to 1Password 4 if you see all of your data in there and you can keep using it for now until you can spare a few moments for us to look again in what's wrong with 1Password 7 on your computer or if you want to try something else.

Let us know and we'd like to see your diagnostics report from 1Password 4 first but so far, the issues you're describing sounds like Dropbox is doing something very odd to your 1Password folder.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT After switching back to 1Password 4 how many of these 28,000 files do I have to keep? It’s really a mess and I don’t have any idea what files are needed to run version 4 or 7 or are they shared files, are some shared between both versions?

• Hi @keaco,

That's why I need your diagnostics report from 1Password 4, so I can see the structure of your data folder. What I also want to see is if there's a specific backup we can restore to before all of this happened and see if we can export all new changes since that backup was created and then import the data into the restored but clean data folder. That could be the easiest way to clean it up.

To get started, please email us your 1Password diagnostics report in 1Password 4; open 1Password 4, go to Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File. Email the zip file to support+windows@1Password.com and include the link to this thread in the body, so we can connect the dots.

Let me know here when you sent it, so I can find it and help you quickly.

• res1492
    res1492
    Community Member

keaco, i had some "conflicted" files too, as a test i made a new folder on my desktop and moved them over to it..1password has been working fine since, try it and see ...as far as i know the 1password App doesnt not touch the "conflicted copies" after finding them so they are safe to delete but move them into a new folder for a while first just to make sure, you can always move them back if anything untoward happens.

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Conflict copies are natural side effect of any sync service, they occurs because changes were made to the same file from various devices at the same time and the client doesn't know how to resolve them, so it saves both copies.

We do plan to find a way to resolve these conflicts for you within 1Password automatically but it is not implemented on Windows at the moment (this is not supposed to be done by 1Password but we want to clean these files for you). They're safe to ignore for now.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@MikeT I have 1Password 4 on my laptop and desktop (both Windows 7 x64) and when I go to Help > Diagnostics Report > Export to File literally nothing happens on both machines. Any ideas?

Also, from 1Password 7 if I go into Backups and try to unzip one of those files they say they're corrupt.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

@MikeT So I copied this mess off of DropBox and just cut my losses and just grabbed a version 4 password file that I could deal with just to move this along. It loads up on my desktop PC and I see the files, everything looks good. I wipe out the 1Password mobile app and dropbox from my phone, I copy the 1Password.agilekeychain folder to Dropbox and reinstall the 2 apps on my iPhone (1password and dropbox). When I install 1Password it asks if i want to sync it with my Dropbox, I agree and it starts to sync. Then I notice a large portion of passwords are missing from the mobile app that are on my desktop PC and I'm getting sync errors on the mobile app. Again I can't get the export file to work. Any ideas? Hope to hear from you soon, I'd really like to get this taken care of so I can start figuring out what passwords I'm missing and compare them with the version 7 opvault.

• Hi @keaco,

I suspect the diagnostics report is failing because of the large number of files.

See if this works:
    1. Open Windows File Explorer, type %TEMP% in the address bar, and press Enter.
    2. In 1Password, generate the report using the Help menu and then look for any files in the Windows Explorer window starting with 1Password.
    3. If you don't see a 1Password.zip file there, select the 1Password files you see, right-click to compress them, and attach the .zip file when you email us at support+windows@1Password.com.
    4. If you don't see anything in the %TEMP% directory, try entering %APPDATA%/EurekaLog/1Password in Windows File Explorer and you may see a 1Password.elf file. If you do, send that file to us.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT you're still talking about 1Password 4 correct?

I don't see any 1Password files in %Temp%, even after clearing out TEMP I close and reopen 1Password and still nothing generates there.

Also, when I go to %APPDATA% I don't see a EurekaLog folder. I see an "AgileBits" folder with a OPW4.license file in it but that is about it.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT Could it be that the mobile version updated to a version that no longer reads 1Password 4 files, since 7 performed an upgrade on the vault??

• Hi @keaco,

You're still talking about 1Password 4 correct?

Yes.

I close and reopen 1Password and still nothing generates there.

Just to be clear, reopening 1Password isn't enough, you have to generate the report to generate any files.

If it is still not happening, the issue is something else.

Also, when I go to %APPDATA% I don't see a EurekaLog folder.

This is odd, it suggests it didn't even try to generate any report since it writes to the temp folder first before it starts doing diagnostics.

Could it be that the mobile version updated to a version that no longer reads 1Password 4 files,

I don't have enough information to confirm anything at the moment; it wouldn't explain the sync errors.

Can you generate the diagnostics report from the iOS device? Here's how: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?ios

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT sent from the mobile app.

• @keaco, got it. I will reply to your email soon, it didn't convert your vault in Dropbox folder.

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT I noticed that there are 2 vaults in Dropbox, the 1password.opvault and the 1password.agilekeychain. I assume it's reading from the latter?

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Hi @keaco,

I've replied to your email but yes, the iOS app is reading from AgileKeychain vault, not OPVault.

ref: SVU-58469-739

• keaco
    keaco
    Community Member

@MikeT I replied via the email.

• Hey, @keaco! Mike will be notified when you reply to his e-mails, so you don't need to reply here each time. Just reply via e-mail and you're set. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.