Trying to add an iPad. Master password doesn't work on it or on my iPhone

GSwangs
GSwangs
Community Member
edited February 2019 in iOS

I've had 1P on my phone and computer for a long time. I'm trying to add a new iPad, and now I'm finding that my master password won't sign me into the iPad, nor will it work on my phone. It still works on my computer.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Trying to add an iPad. Master password doesn't work on it or on my iPhone

ref: PKE-78367-463

Comments

• GSwangs
    GSwangs
    Community Member

Just an additional note: it seems that if I text myself my password (which I know -- terrible idea), then copy/paste, it works, which suggests to me that there's an issue with my iOS keyboard?

• Hi @GSwangs

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password set up on your iPad and iPhone. Based on the fact that copying and pasting works it does indeed sound like there may be an input issue. Are you using any 3rd party or non-standard layout keyboards on iOS? If so they will not work in the Master Password field (or any password field) in 1Password. Because we mark these fields as "Secure Input" fields iOS will automatically revert to the default Apple keyboard (standard layout). This can make it difficult to enter passwords which contain characters such as umlauts or other special characters.

Ben

• GSwangs
    GSwangs
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

Nope, just using the standard iPad keyboard. What's weird is that I was having the issue on my iPhone and iPad, and while the iPad is new, the phone is not -- never had this issue before on the phone.

• @GSwangs

Does the Master Password have quotation marks (") in it?

Ben

• GSwangs
    GSwangs
    Community Member

Nope. And FWIW, this is happening on my phone and iPad.

• @GSwangs

Just to confirm: you do not have a "Primary" vault on the Mac, correct? I think if that is the case the best I could suggest at this point would be logging in at https://my.1password.com/profile and changing the Master Password from there. For now I'd recommend choosing one that only has letters and numbers in it so we can narrow down the possible issues here.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.