How do I change which account determines my sign in password?

Options
sdg
sdg
Community Member

Hey there -

I've got a families account for home, and a teams account at work. I'm signed into both on my phone. My migration to this over the last few years was something like:
Old Primary Vault
Old Primary Vault + Work teams account
Old Primary Vault + Work teams account + Families account (deleting the Old Primary Vault right after adding the families account)
Work teams account + Families account

The password I have to use to sign in on my phone is the work account. I'm guessing that's because that account was in place before the Families account. I'd like the password I use to sign in on my phone to be my Families account password. I was figuring I could switch this by signing out of the work account, which would let the Families account take over as the master, and then signing back into the Work account. But sign out is greyed out for the Work account. How do I accomplish my goal here?

1Password Version: 7.2.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: iOS 12.1.2
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:How do I change which account determines my sign in password?

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @sdg

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. We typically recommend using the same Master Password for each account but if that isn't practical for your application... you can uninstall 1Password for iOS, re-install it, and be sure to sign in to the account with the Master Password you want to use to unlock 1Password first. Please note that this procedure will erase any standalone (non-membership) vaults from the device, so if you have any of those left and want to keep them please be sure to back them up or sync them first.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.