To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

New computer - 1PW7 asking to restore from backup

pjleslie03
pjleslie03
Community Member

So I just got a new computer and was using version 6.8.8 on my old computer. Just downloaded 1PW7 from the Mac Appstore and its asking for a backup/license/etc. This is the 3rd computer I have purchased and installed 1PW on it and did not have to enter this info or install from a backup (to my knowledge). Any help is appreciated....I just upgraded my 1PW6 to included more categories, logins, etc so I do not want to have to purchase this again. Thanks.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @pjleslie03

1Password 7 requires either a separate license purchase or a 1Password membership. We're no longer advertising licenses, but they are available for customers who are already familiar with that situation and are comfortable with the "DIY" approach they offer. I'd highly recommend taking a look at 1Password membership, which will give you access to the latest versions of 1Password for all of your compatible devices (no more separate upgrade fees). You can read about the benefits here:

About 1Password membership

If you decide to upgrade to membership instructions for that can be found here:

Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• pjleslie03
    pjleslie03
    Community Member

@Ben I must not have asked my question properly. I would like to continue using 1Password the exact same way I was using it just a few days ago on 6.8.8. How do I do that?

• I really can't recommend that, @pjleslie03. We'd always recommend keeping up to date with the latest versions of all of your software, but especially 1Password, your operating system, and your web browser. 1Password 6 is no longer being developed. If you'd like to revert to v6 instructions can be found here, but that should be considered a temporary measure. Without a membership you're responsible for configuring the sync of your data. Instructions on that can be found here:

Sync your 1Password data

Ben

• pjleslie03
    pjleslie03
    Community Member

@Ben, I've got 1PW 6 on my computer now and I restored it from an iCloud back up. All my logins appear to be where they should be, but when I go to 1Password->License, it shows that I am in a Trial Mode and asks me to add a license. When I search through all my emails for any license info, I am not finding anything. I currently have 26 days left in the trial version but I have bought licenses over and over at this point, but dont seem to have any emails regarding those licenses. I have generally purchased the app and the upgrades from the Mac App Store, except for this one version of 6.8.9 that I just got from the AgileBits website. I am not part of a team or a corporate account so I cant sign in to the app.....what else can I do to get the license info that I have purchased?

• pjleslie03
    pjleslie03
    Community Member

@Ben are you able to assist?

• @pjleslie03

If you purchased from Apple through the Mac App Store you'd need to install the version from there, rather that the version from our website.

Redownload apps, music, movies, TV shows, and books from the App Store, iTunes Store, and Apple Books - Apple Support

The App Store doesn't use licenses to register purchases. Instead it uses the purchase history on your Apple ID to determine what you have purchased or not. I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• pjleslie03
    pjleslie03
    Community Member

Awesome, thank you @Ben !!!! So, I have one last question.....since I am having to revert back to 6.8.9, I would prefer to upgrade to 7.0+ but I have spent about $100 on this software and upgrades so far (had it since like 2014 or 2015, I believe). I like the software but it feels like I am constantly having to spend money to keep it, update it, etc. Is the $2.99/mo subscription service going to do away with that need and remove the surprises (other than possible price increases in the future)?

• You're very welcome. I'm glad that helped. To answer your question: membership includes access to the latest versions of all of our 1Password apps on an ongoing basis. As long as your subscription is in good standing you'll be able to use whatever is the latest version at the time. That is one of the great things about membership. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.