How to create an application login with 1Password 7?

I've just made the upgrade from 1Password 4 (with OPVault on Dropbox) to a 1Password Families account. I've installed 1Password 7.0.558 on my Windows 10 laptop (I removed 1Password 4 and rebooted before installing 1Password 7) and have imported the entries in my OPVault to my 1Password.com account. Apologies if my terminology is incorrect here!

My problem is this - under 1Password 4 I had setup a few 'application login' items that allowed me to store Windows application credentials in 1Password. I followed this arcticle to setup the application login items.

Unfortunately, now that I'm running 1Password 7 these application login no longer function - pressing Ctrl + \ no longer sends the saved username/password to the application login dialog. I tried to re-setup the application logins by following the instructions in the article but 1Password 7 doesn't have an "Add URL" button.

Am I missing something or has the ability to add an application login to 1Password 7 been removed? If so, are there any plans to add it back?

Kind regards,

/Neil

1Password Version: 7.0.558
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro x64
Sync Type: 1Password.com account

Comments

• @BrisbaneMango: You're not too much here – we're still working on fully implementing auto-type, which is what allowed Ctrl + \ to work in 1Password 4. That said, you can use type in window to fill in many apps with 1Password 7 from mini. You can learn more about that here:

https://support.1password.com/1password-mini-windows/#fill-details-in-apps :+1:

• BrisbaneMango
    BrisbaneMango
    Community Member

@bundtkate: Thanks for your reply! I tried the 'Fill details in app' approach with a ~50% success rate. I will use a workaround until auto-type is fully implemented.

Thanks!

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@BrisbaneMango: On behalf of Kate you are very welcome! :+1:

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with, we are always here for you. Thanks!

Cheers,
    Greg

• dswitzer
    dswitzer
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

When is this feature going to be added?

1Password 4 was a superior application. Too many of the features in v7 do not work yet.

The only reason I updated was because the browser extension broke in the latest version of Chrome. If I weren't forced to have updated, I would have stayed with v4 for just this reason.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@dswitzer: We do not have any ETA at this point. 1Password 7 for Windows is a completely new app (and codebase), so we have a lot of catching up to do, including fully-fledged Auto-Type. I hope for your understanding.

We will post more news and updates once we have them. Please stay tuned. Thank you!

• dswitzer
    dswitzer
    Community Member

Until v7 catches up with v4, you should continue to support v4's browser extensions. Upgrading to v7 has really become frustrating—enough so that I'm looking at other options.

• 1Password 7 was never intended to be a rebuild of 1Password 4, @dswitzer. It's something new unto itself and already has a number of features 1Password 4 didn't, like Watchtower 2.0 and the ability to view multiple vaults at once in your app with All Vaults just to name a few. It was also built in part because our 1Password 4 customers felt their Windows app needed to "catch up" with 1Password 6.

Of course, I know folks' feelings about 1Password 7 will be shaped by what features and functionality are most important to you personally. Full-fledged auto-type is a feature often missed and we're aware of this and planning to improve Type in Window to better serve that purpose. Another example is the option to unlock on a Secure Desktop, which was added rather recently to 1Password 7. That said, we weren't going to delay the release of 1Password 7 and deny folks access to other long-awaited features because of this, nor are we willing to take resources away from continuing to improve 1Password 7 to continue updating 1Password 4. Before 1Password 7 was ready, there were some changes that came to all browsers that required a pretty hefty update to 1Password 4. Since we knew y'all didn't have any other options at that time, we went ahead and made that huge update to 1Password 4 in 2017 to ensure continued compatibility. But for that update, 1Password 4 would have ceased working with many browsers nearly two years ago. Now that 1Password 7 is a good option for a large portion of our 1Password 4 customers, the answer is to improve 1Password 7 when y'all feel something is missing, not keep looking back. And, though I understand this still means making a change you may not be thrilled about, 1Password 4 does still work in Firefox, Opera, Vivaldi, and Brave, so you still have options to continue using 1Password 4 if you'd like.

This discussion has been closed.