Is it possible to hide a login so that it's not suggested by 1Password X?

Is it possible to hide logins so that they aren't suggested by 1Password X? I see in 1Password for Windows that there is a 'Never display in browser' checkbox but that doesn't seem to make any difference, and I tried to set it in the login when I edited it in 1Password X and that checkbox isn't there.

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 1.14
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:hide login in 1password x

Comments

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matty666,

You're sadly quite correct, altering that setting in either 1Password for Mac or 1Password for Windows will see it honoured by the two native clients but currently not 1Password X. I have filed a bug report based on your findings.

ref: x/b5x#803

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member
  • littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @matty666,

So I've received some feedback. We seem to be testing the water with 1Password X before possibly removing the display option entirely. This is why 1Password X does not currently support it. The recommendation is to create a new vault and place items you don't wish to always see in it and exclude that vault from the All Vaults view. How do you feel about this alternative approach to the use of the display option?

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

I did wonder if that would be the case. I'll give that a try as a workaround, thanks!

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

I guess I feel like it's a bit of a convoluted solution, just to hide a few logins, however I suppose if the feature isn't used that much then it makes sense to drop it.

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019

Hey @matty666,

I'd love to better understand your use case for hiding Login items. Do you have multiple Login items for a website you use frequently but never fill? A more appropriate solution may be just using a different URL or item type if you have Login items you never want to be filled.

Over the years, I've honestly seen quite a few users confused by the "Never display in browser" feature and as far as I can remember you're the first to mention it missing in 1Password X. One of the features that I love about 1Password X, which I think well replaces this older power user feature, is the ability to type either in the popup or the field displaying the inline menu to filter down the results to the exact item I need to fill.

I look forward to hearing about your use case!

-Beyer

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

I have a site that i go to frequently that i had inadvertently created 2 accounts for. The one I use frequently always appeared 2nd in the list, and I remembered seeing the option in 1Password for windows to hide it from the browser. I then started to think that I could use that feature to keep some less used logins around, just in case, but not have them cluttering up the filling menus.

I agree that it's probably an infrequently used feature, and it does make sense not to support it in the new products, less things to have bugs in :)

I also managed to get around the issue by changing the name of the login so that it appeared after the one I use the most, as it seems to order alphabetically. What would be great would be to order the filling list by some sort of 'most recently used'?

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni

What would be great would be to order the filling list by some sort of 'most recently used'?

YES! There has been quite a bit of discussion here about the best way to sort items, and I'm on board with a smarter system than alphabetical. Believe it or not, it's a much harder problem to solve than it sounds. One of the requirements of a new system is we want it to be cross-platform code so that every 1Password app behaves the same way and possibly any usage data is synced as well.

As someone who has been using 1Password for ten years (rounding up by a couple of months), you better believe I have a lot of unused items that I bring myself to delete. So recently I created an Archive vault where I put items that I no longer use, and I exclude that in the 1Password X vault switcher. Looking in there is like browsing the Internet Archive: Wayback Machine. 😉

One more tip, sometimes a company might ask for the last 4 of a credit card number or something to verify you. So I even archive my old credit card items, drives license numbers, etc.

I hope that helps for now! I can't promise when, but better and consistent item sorting is definitely on our list.

• matty666
    matty666
    Community Member

Thanks for the tips! I'll give them a go!

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

If you have any other questions please let us know :smile:

• Stevoisiak
    Stevoisiak
    Community Member

1Password for iOS is also missing the option to hide logins.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Stevoisiak:

Indeed, thank you for the clarification :+1: :)

• sparkyb
    sparkyb
    Community Member

The idea of an Archive value for old, rarely used logins sounds like a good idea, but I'm not sure if that's right for all my use cases. Specifically, for credit cards, I want to use 1Password to store all my credit card numbers in case I ever need them. This includes debits cards for various bank accounts. But when buying things online there's only 2 cards I ever want to use and I'd like to hide the debit cards as suggestions. It doesn't feel right to move those debit cards to an Archive vault, since the bank accounts they are for are very much in active use. In fact, I have separate entries for the bank account itself and the debit card (in the credit card category) and they linked as "related items". Since I might still want to fill in the bank account details somewhere, I don't want it to be in the Archive vault, and I know that related links can't span different vaults. Got any other suggestions for how to handle this situation?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@sparkyb:

At the moment I don't think there is a way to selectively show credit cards in 1Password X this way :(

• Gabb
    Gabb
    Community Member

+1 to the feature to add "Display - Never suggest in browser" to 1Password X. This feature seems to already exist in 1Password 7 on macOS, but it doesn't seem to sync with 1Password X.

• @Gabb

What about creating a new vault and moving your items to be hidden to that vault. Then hide it from view in 1Password X? One advantage of using this method is that all items you wish to hide are grouped together, and there is no need to edit each one manually.

• Gabb
    Gabb
    Community Member

@ag_tommy I think that's a good idea. I'll give that a shot. Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

• :chuffed: Let us know how it goes.

• Gabb
    Gabb
    Community Member

I think it works well. Thanks again!

• Excellent!

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

I am a longtime user of the regular browser extensions and am trying out 1Password X in Chrome. This was the first issue that I ran into—a login that I very rarely use is popping up as an option for a work login that I literally use every day. I had the same problem in the browser extension but long ago selected "never suggest in browser." I can try making a separate vault as suggested above, but first I wanted to ask: is there a way to differentiate between the two using the URL? They have the same domain and different subdomains.

• @benmattison

Sorry, no. Matching involves the domain. If the item is not hidden using a different vault or using the older method of hiding items, then a match would occur.

• benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

Ok, thanks @ag_tommy. There isn't a way to search for logins with the "never suggest in browser" on, is there? That would speed up moving them into a new vault.

• @benmattison

Try the following. It should help.

1. Click the downward-facing arrow beside the spyglass in the search box in the middle column of 1Password.
    2. Select Show Search Options
    3. Change the first option to Shown in Browser
    4. When the view changes, select the box Is and change it to Is not.
    • At the top, I leave the Search Box set to "All Items" So I don't miss anything like Credit Cards. You can further limit your search if needed to just logins, for example.
  • benmattison
    benmattison
    Community Member

Thanks, @ag_tommy. That worked great.

• That's great to hear, @benmattison. On behalf of Tommy, you're very welcome. :smile:

• live55
    live55
    Community Member

Hi! I'm a new 1Password convert, coming over from LastPass, and so far I've been very happy with the service but wanted to add to this thread that I would love to see "never suggest in browser" on the Chrome extension as well. My use case is that I have a few passwords saved for my boss's accounts, that I don't often log into but occasionally will when I need to help her with something remotely. I don't want them suggested because I don't ever want to accidentally log in as her. I suppose I could create a separate vault, but it seems like overkill for the 3 passwords that I'm trying to hide. Just my 2 cents. Thanks for the hard work 1P team!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for letting us know your thoughts on this @live55, and welcome to 1Password!

This discussion has been closed.