Can I add a new login AFTER I login?

Options

I always forget to click the "Add to 1Password" dropdown when using a new login that 1Password hasn't seen before. At this point there doesn't appear to be any way to add that login to 1Password easily without remembering the username and password and login URL and adding it manually. Am I just missing something obvious or does this functionality not exist?

It's particularly confusing that this differs from the regular 1Password extension which asks you to add a new item after logging in successfully the same way most of 1Password's competitors do (Like LastPass) which feels far more intuitive. Generally I type in my username and password very quickly and muscle memory has me hitting "Enter" before I even notice the 1Password prompt.

This feels like a UX issue that could be easily improved by letting you add the last login you used.

1Password Version: 7.2.4
Extension Version: 1.14
OS Version: macOS 10.14.3
Sync Type: 1Password

Comments

• beyer
    beyer
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hey @mattaningram,

Welcome to our support forum! We are delighted to have you here! 😀

This feels like a UX issue that could be easily improved by letting you add the last login you used.

I completely agree! For a little back story, auto-submit and saving logins after submitting a form have never worked 100% of the time in 1Password. We used to spend a decent amount of time creating complicated recipes and workarounds for popular websites that didn't work. With 1Password X, we wanted to see what it would be like to put more control over submitting forms and saving items in the user's hands. Overall, I think the transition has gone reasonably well. One place that both auto-submit and login saving has gotten even more complicated in recent years is Single-page applications. However, since 1Password X already has a session manager which allows for nifty multi-page login filling (including TOTP), it isn't impossible for us to temporarily store recently used usernames and passwords. This would allow for the UX you described.

I can't recall if we already have an issue open for this, but I know we've talked about in the past. So if we don't have one already, I'll open a new issue so the 1Password X team can comment and hopefully improve login saving.

Thanks so much using 1Password, and a special thanks for your input which will help make us better! ❤️

Cheers,

Beyer

• mattaningram
    mattaningram
    Community Member
    Options

@beyer I can't recall a single time I had an issue saving a password after logging in with Lastpass and that's including single page apps.

This doesn't make me feel like I have more control, it makes me feel like I have less because I always log in before I see the 1Pass prompt to save the new login. Then when I realize, none of that information is available to me. So it now becomes a manual process instead of an automatic one.

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @mattaningram,

You could give the companion extension a shot if this is driving you crazy. It would mean surrendering the inline menu but the way the companion extension works is if it believes there is a form worth considering it sends it to 1Password for Mac. The autosave prompt is a dialog displayed by 1Password and so is independent of the page in the browser. You'd want to remove 1Password X and then install our other extension which is available on our "Downloads - 1Password" page just above the links for 1Password X.

I am a little puzzled though, I've never found the 1Password X prompt to save laggy at all and is present as soon as I start typing in a password field or the prompt to save is just moments after using the Password Generator. I know some people still want to save after they know if the server has accepted whatever action they were taking but that seems a separate reason from the one you're expressing.

This discussion has been closed.