To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

What is a Stand Alone Vault?

Options
rmarti55
rmarti55
Community Member

What is a stand alone vault and how is it different from any other vault? It appears a stand alone vault is similar to a type of membership, but I can't find any documentation on the 1P website, or anything that explains the basics of stand alone on the forum. Please help!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi @rmarti55

I understand you're frustrated but this is a family friendly forum and that sort of language isn't tolerated here. Please review the forum rules (which you agreed to when signing up) before posting further. I'm sorry to say if that sort of language continues we're going to be unable to have you continue to participate here. Thanks for understanding.

What is a stand alone vault and how is it different from any other vault? It appears a stand alone vault is similar to a type of membership, but I can't find any documentation on the 1P website, or anything that explains the basics of stand alone on the forum. Please help!

A standalone vault is a vault that is created outside of a 1Password membership. The first such vault created will be called the "Primary" vault. Having one changes the way the 1Password apps unlock (more on that below). These vaults are stored only on the device they are created on, and are not synced with your other devices, by default. While it is possible to create standalone vaults when using a 1Password membership we recommend against doing so. Standalone vaults are typically associated with licensed versions of 1Password, rather than the subscription membership service.

What is the difference between a trial version (which appears to be a "real" account) and a stand alone account?

We only offer trials on membership. Trials are typically for 30 days and give you access to the same features and functionality you'll have if you subscribe at the end of the trial. Standalone licenses & vaults do not have a trial period.

WYF DO I HAVE TWO SEPARATE PASSWORDS FOR THE APP ON MY IPHONE AND LOGGING INTO THE APP ON THE WEBSITE!

The way 1Password unlocks is:

1. If a Primary vault exists then unlock using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    2. If a single 1Password membership is signed in then unlock using the Master Password for that membership account
    3. If multiple memberships are signed in then unlock using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added. Because of this complexity and confusion we recommend deleting the Primary vault after moving all data to 1Password.com membership vaults:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices
    (you can skip step #1 if you've already added logged into your account on the device)

ON TOP OF THAT THE DESKTOP APP KEEPS CRASHING

Which desktop operating system are you using? Mac or Windows? Please let me know.

I hope that helps.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.