Confused by Standalone 1PW7 Local Sync (loved 1PW4 !!!)

Options

I've used and loved version 4 over the past few years. With version 4, I successfully used a 3rd party sync program to keep my desktop and laptop in sync over my local network (no cloud).

If I am correct in my understanding of version 4, my local sync worked flawlessly due to the agilekeychain setup having 1 file per record, all in the same folder. There was no database in a separate folder location to be relied on or copied. I'd just copy the agilekeychain folder between machines. And if I had changed the same login record on both machines, the 3rd party sync software would notify me that an individual file within the agilekeychain folder was in conflict and I would then be able to figure out which record I wanted copied.

I bought 1PW7 today and have spent countless hours trying to get it to sync between my desktop and laptop. I have played with the Sync function built into 1PW7, as well as trying my old 3rd party method. I think I am missing something obvious, but I cannot make syncing work.

I can see 1PW7 has a sqlite DB in the appdata/local folders. And when I set up the 1PW7 built in Folder Sync, I see it puts an .opvault folder inside the folder I specify. And the .opvault folder contains the "band" and other .js files. But I am missing the relationship between the sqlite db and the .opvault files... and how copying the .opvault folder can work without also copying the sqlite db.

Can someone possibly give me clear instructions on setting up a local sync scenario to keep my desktop and laptop in sync with each other? I only need this to happen when both are on the same local network. I don't want to use Dropbox or any other cloud services (including the 1PW cloud service... no offence intended!). I've been very happy with local-network-only syncing with 1PW4 and would very much like to continue being happy with 1PW while using version 7.

Many thanks for your help!

1Password Version: 7.3.657 and 4.6.2.626
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 7 and 10
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• SVC
    SVC
    Community Member
    Options

Nobody has answered, but in case anyone was thinking about it... sorry for the trouble... I have syncing between my desktop and laptop working now. I don't know why I couldn't get it to work yesterday (late night brain fatigue? :p ), but all is good now.

• My apologies about not getting back to you sooner, @SVC! As you might imagine all these folks upgrading on its own has us pretty busy and then I ended up tied up putting a few resources together to help the rest of our team better help y'all with this stuff so I didn't spend much time here in the forum. Hopefully, that work ends up helping more than my time here would have long term, but I still feel bad we weren't here to help you out right away. Forgive me. 🙏

Anyway, I'm thrilled to hear you got things working. For what it might be worth at this point, you shouldn't need to copy anything unless you're syncing manually. With most sync services, what happens is the OPVault is stored on your sync service and 1Password will reference that OPVault to update that sqlite database all on its own. What matters is that all of your devices can access the folder containing your OPVault. 1Password will handle the rest. In cases where you have a device that can't see that OPVault, it's actually roughly the same except you need to help out by updating that OPVault. So, if you have a work PC, for example, that can't access your home network, you can copy that OPVault to a USB drive, bring the drive to work, and replace the OPVault you have in a local folder on that work PC with the updated one from home. Again, 1Password should handle the rest for you. Of course, different sync services do behave differently in how they sync data and it would be impossible for us to test all of them, so we can't promise perfection with every service nor every method of manual sync, but I hope the general understanding of how sync works helps you with any problems you encounter in the future. And, of course, in cases where it doesn't, we're here to help. :chuffed:

I hope you're enjoying 1Password 7 now you've got your sync system up and running and, if we can ever do anything else to help, well you know where to find us. :+1:

• SVC
    SVC
    Community Member
    Options

No worries... I appreciate the active 1PW forum and your response / explanation! I understand what you are saying and it has helped clarify what I was thinking. My local sync is still functioning perfectly.

• I'm glad the explanation helped, @SVC! It sounded like you had a pretty good grasp on things, but the introduction of the internal database is a change from 1Password 4 and does add enough of a wrinkle to create some uncertainty so I hoped that info wouldn't be totally useless. It's awesome your system is working and I hope it continues smoothly for a long time to come. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.