Standalone v7 poor performance with large vault

Options

I've just paid for a v7 standalone license for Windows and upgraded from v4 - but am finding saving items to be extremely slow ... as in, it takes 15+ seconds from the time I click Save to the time it shows up in the UI!

I tried creating a new empty local vault alongside my existing vault to see if it was related to the number of items, but found the same poor performance issue when saving items in the empty vault.

Then I tried removing all of my vaults and starting with a new empty vault on its own - performance was back to being excellent without my migrated data there.

Then I opened my old agilekeychain vault again (converted to opvault) alongside the new empty vault - and started getting the bad performance again, even when creating a new item in my empty vault.

Note that I also noticed this the other day while I was trialling 1Password.com based Families and Teams accounts - when I had a copy of my local vault open alongside my Families and Teams vaults, save performance was terrible in all accounts - but it was fine once I removed the local vault and just had the 1Password.com based accounts.

Note also that I've tested it both with the vaults stored in Dropbox and outside of dropbox - doesn't change the performance problems. Disks are all SSD.

So I'm guessing there is something about my old vault I'm migrating from v4 agilekeychain which is causing the performance issues?

I have over 1,500 items in my vault, plus another 500 in the trash (some of these trash items I will be moving to an archive vault - but the remainder will be deleted).

Is there a known performance issue with larger vaults using opvault format?

I'm curious why having my large vault open would affect write performance to an empty vault though?

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 1803
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @SimonHampel,

Thanks for reporting this.

but am finding saving items to be extremely slow ... as in, it takes 15+ seconds from the time I click Save to the time it shows up in the UI!

Just to be clear, it is only when you're saving, not anything else, like filling or searching?

there a known performance issue with larger vaults using opvault format?

We have some known UI issues related to syncing in the background that can block the main interface calls, it can cause UI delays for the first minute but it should settle down after that. When you save, we have to write to the local database and then sync to the external OPVault folder at the same time, which causes the interface to hang. We've made some improvements in the last few 1Password 7 update but we're not done yet; more improvements are coming in the next few updates including what we hope is separation of the sync from the main interface that should greatly help.

However, I do want to make sure this is the case and nothing else; please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

Thanks!

• SimonHampel
    SimonHampel
    Community Member
    Options

Just to be clear, it is only when you're saving, not anything else, like filling or searching?

Searching seems a little sluggish - but it's not unreasonable, still well under 1 second to return results. Nothing I would have complained about really.

Filling passwords in the browser works fine.

Deleting items is slow too - similar to saving.

please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us

I have emailed the requested diagnostic report.

So anyway, I did some further testing - I tried a fresh upgrade from agilekeychain, then created a second new vault, copied all of my documents to the new vault. Performance got worse with over 1,500 items in each of the two vaults - well over 3,000 items in total (well over 20 seconds to save a new item) - kind of as expected really.

Also, I did notice it was quite slow (as in a few seconds) to swap between vaults when selecting individual vaults to display (rather than All Vaults).

Anyway, I then removed the original vault so only the new vault with a copy of the data was in use.

Performance actually improved somewhat - down to around 10 seconds to save a new item, which was when I discovered that trashed items had not been copied (of course), so I was down to 1,500 items (original vault had 1,500 + 500 in trash).

So I next tried clearing out more items - I moved another 500 items to the trash and then emptied the trash so I had only 1,000 items. Save time is now around 3 seconds!!

At 500 items in the vault, save time was less than 2 seconds.

So there seems to be a severe bottleneck for larger vaults at play here.

Note that I also tried disabling my antivirus, but that had no effect on item save times.

Next experiment, I started with a fresh import once more - then made 4 copies of my opvault, imported each vault and then removed enough items (trashed and then emptied trash) to leave 500 items in each vault.

So I now have 2,000 items (like my original vault), but spread across 4 vaults @ 500 items each. Save time is around 5 seconds - not as good as a single 500 item vault, but a lot better than a single 2,000 item vault!

My conclusions:
    1. the new opvault format does not scale (or something else weird is happening)
    2. something about the way you are managing data causes extremely bad performance even when writing to an empty vault - if you also have a very large vault added to the UI.

The frustrating thing is that it worked really well with agilekeychain - I never noticed any performance problems at all.

• Thanks for the rundown, @SimonHampel! You could teach classes on reporting issues – this sort of detail is extremely helpful. There are two things that could play a role here at a glance. One is the new sync system – 1Password 7 handles this way differently from 1Password 4 and both saving and deleting an item will trigger a sync. The other is updating your internal database. 1Password 4 had no internal database, so it was only ever updating your Agile Keychain. 1Password 7 will save to your internal database, then update your OPVault. If it's the latter, OPVault may play no role at all. Agile Keychain might demonstrate the same behavior had 1Password 4 had an internal database to worry about.

Quickly looking over your diagnostics, it looks to me like the latter is actually more likely. Your app is logging an item saved a good 10 seconds before the internal database update is completed. The remote update happens very quickly after. I'll run your diagnostics by Mike as well to see if we can try some things to get a better handle on the why part of the equation.

Finally, on the AV front, I know these can have some persistent effects absent a clean boot without it running, so would you mind testing out just the large vault in safe mode with networking? If it resolves in safe mode, that's a generally good indicator of likely third-party interference of some sort and is easier than fussing with your AV out of the gate. If you are able to give it a go, let me know what you find. :+1:

ref: XPE-95577-886

This discussion has been closed.