View tags in 1Password mini in 1Password 7

Options
hjhermans
hjhermans
Community Member
edited February 2019 in 1Password 7 for Windows

1pw 4 allowed me to display various items by tag in the extension. How do I do that in 1pw7? Chrome shows the extension version to be 4 (it is still loaded) but it acts as the 1pw mini

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: 7.3.657
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: ?
Referrer: forum-search:how do i select a tag item in the mini bar

Comments

• kactkoz75
    kactkoz75
    Community Member
    Options

I had all my logins sorted into folders on 1password 4. Now I have to scroll through them alphabetically. How do i get the logins sorted into folders on 1password 7?

1Password Version: Not Provided
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: Not Provided
    Sync Type: Not Provided
    Referrer: forum-search:login folders

• Hi @kactkoz75,

Thanks for writing in.

We don't support sorting or navigating by tags (folders are replaced with tags in 1Password 7) yet in 1Password 7. It is coming in a future update. If you need to find certain items with a tag name, you can type tag:tagname in the search field and it'll narrow down the list like this:

If you have 1Password.com account, you can use the 1Password X extension instead, it has the tags list in the sidebar.

• Hi @hjhermans and @kactkoz75,

I've merged your posts in this thread asking about the same question. Please read my answer above, 1Password 7 doesn't yet support navigating by tags in the 1Password mini. It is coming in a future update.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the info. I'm very surprised that a new upgrade removes features present in a previous version. Still, you call it progress! I disagree strongly. Regression is a better description.
    What is the 1pw x extension you refer to? When i look at the 'extension' in chrome i get the 1pw mini.
    I added some other questions to my original issue. Can you comment on those also please.
    Hans

• Hi @hjhermans,

Thanks for the info. I'm very surprised that a new upgrade removes features present in a previous version.

1Password 7 is not an upgrade to 1Password 4, it's a separate product that's using a new codebase. There is nothing in common between 1Password 4 and 7, just the 1Password name.

We're working as fast as we can to implement the features that were available in 1Password 4 but not yet in 1Password 7.

What is the 1pw x extension you refer to?

1Password X is a separate self-contained 1Password extension that works without the desktop app; it has its own UI and local database to use. This does not work with standalone vaults, only 1Password.com accounts. You can see more information here: https://support.1password.com/getting-started-1password-x/

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Hi;
    Thanks for the reply. Hope the making 1pw7 equally functional as 1pw4 will not take much longer as it is really awkward right now with having to somehow remember the name of the item to be found! A short list (tags) is a lot easier and on the 1pw4 extension the list of items is compressed enough so that many appear at the same time instead of the 3 or 4 on 1pw7 which has all the extra baloney.

I am still confused about 1pw x. After i upgraded Chrome started to show what looked like the 1pw7 mini display. Is this what you refer to as 1pw x? It does not show tags. If not, how do i get 1pw x? The link you gave has help type instructions but does not show how you can display tags.

If i 'merge' my 1pw4 database with 1pw7 because it seems like i needed to create a new database (not clear why this was needed), will the data have the same functionality as in pw4 (except for the fact the tags cannot be selected as a filter in the extension)?

Finally, where is the new database? Still in dropbox?

• Hi @hjhermans,

I am still confused about 1pw x. After i upgraded Chrome started to show what looked like the 1pw7 mini display. Is this what you refer to as 1pw x?

Sorry about the confusion, we offer two different 1Password browser extensions, the regular 1Password extension extends the desktop app to support filling/saving in your web browser and the other one is 1Password X, which is self-contained extension with its own UI and database that allows it to run without any desktop program. This means you can use it on work computers where you can't install 1Password and other platforms that support Firefox and/or Chrome, like Linux and Chrome OS.

It does not show tags. If not, how do i get 1pw x?

You can find it in the browser's extension store, you can use this link to direct you to the right place: https://1password.com/downloads/#browsers

Please note, you can only use 1Password X if you have 1Password.com account, standalone vaults users cannot use 1Password X.

The link you gave has help type instructions but does not show how you can display tags.

Scroll down the sidebar on the left, here's what it looks like in 1Password X.

If i 'merge' my 1pw4 database with 1pw7 because it seems like i needed to create a new database (not clear why this was needed), will the data have the same functionality as in pw4 (except for the fact the tags cannot be selected as a filter in the extension)?

1Password 7 supports the newer OPVault format only, you're upgrading from AgileKeychain to OPVault in 1Password 7.

Yes, 1Password 4 has basic support for OPVault and will let you open it but it will be slower due to the more recent encryption standards being used that 1Password 4 was never optimized for. You also won't see tags in the sidebar like you do in 1Password 7.

Finally, where is the new database? Still in dropbox?

It'll be created alongside your existing Agile Keychain vault in the same directory; so you'd see 1Password.agilekeychain (which will be renamed to 1Password.legacyagilekeychain after the upgrade) and 1Password.opvault folders in the same directory.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the clarification. See the two vaults (opvault and legacykeychain vault) but no legacyagilekeychain vault. Don't think i need the x version for now ( am retired) but will keep it in mind.

• That sounds correct to me, @hjhermans – if you're seeing legacy there, it's probably the .legacyagilekeychain we'd expect after importing. :+1: To clarify from what Mike said as well, there should be no functional change to your data. 1Password 7 will import everything into your new OPVault, folders will be converted to tags, and your data will otherwise remain exactly the same. No need to merge anything – 1Password should handle that for you. :chuffed:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks. Things almost seem ok. Ready to close this comment now.

• Sounds good, @hjhermans! I'm glad you're feeling better about everything and if we can do anything else to help, feel free to reach out again. :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.