Migration Problem

dbintune
dbintune
Community Member

When I migrated standalone to new membership, 67 items came through with incorrect passwords. I have one intact vault from the original file on my iPad2. Anyway to substitute or "re-migrate" the vault?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbintune - oh, no, that doesn't sound good! I'm sorry for the trouble. I'm also curious, since 1Password really can't just arbitrarily change your passwords like that, especially not on several dozen items like that. Could it be possible that you imported an older version of your data inadvertently, one for which you've since changed many of the passwords? Was this all on a single Mac, and what version of 1Password for Mac were you using (and is it the same version you're using now)?

• dbintune
    dbintune
    Community Member

Too many variables, I fear. Tried to do too much at the same time. The source program was 1Password6 on a MacBook Pro (late 2013) running 10.14.3. I am upgrading to 1Password7, and migrating to a new MacBook Air at the same time. I considered the possibility that I somehow moved an older vault, because there were some confusing moments surrounding the sync file on DropBox. I can update the passwords if I have to--many of them are non-critical or out of service websites, etc. The process of messaging the correct entry from my iPad2 is safe but slow. Was hoping to somehow access the vault that is resident on the iPad.

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

If that is how you want to do it @dbintune, then you can. But if your iPad still has the complete dataset accessible, you can use that to replace the data in the new membership. It will just take a few steps.

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

I would be very happy to accomplish that. I’ve let this go for a few days, and done some housecleaning in the new vault. I presume I start by exporting the vault from the source iPad2?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

Not really @djbruestle as iOS devices do not have an external export function. Since you have already done said housecleaning in the new vault, to you want to maintain it or just wipe it out entirely and replace it with the contents of the iPad?

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

Or, should I initiate a new sync over iCloud?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@djbruestle That wouldn't have any effect on the membership vaults. The question is what you want to do, as I asked last time.

• dbintune
    dbintune
    Community Member

Please do tell me how to use the data set from the standalone iPad2.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbintune - when you say "use," do you mean go back to using that older standalone vault, or did you mean you want to try importing this vault again, into your 1password.com account?

• Corey_C
    Corey_C
    Community Member

@Lars he means reimporting this vault into his account.

@dbintune What I would suggest is you connect your iPad to your membership and then move the data from the "Primary" standalone vault to the membership vault.

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

Will this be a sync preserving the most recent data, or an overwrite?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@djbruestle - I'm sorry to do this, but reading over the history of this thread, it appears to me as if you and @dbintune are the same person? Can I get confirmation from both of you that this is/is not the case, before we proceed? Thanks.

• dbintune
    dbintune
    Community Member

Yes, Lars, dbintune and djbruestle are the same person, with the migration problem. I ended up with a badly out-of-date vault of data after migrating from my stand-alone historical vault. I have one remaining vault on my iPad that contains the up-to-date information I want to use. Corey has suggested I simply add the iPad to my account and move my stand-alone data to the membership vault. Will the information I move overwrite the membership vault, or will they be synced with all the newest information remaining?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dbintune - moving items doesn't result in sync of any kind. You'd have to manage any duplicates on your own. If the data on the iPad is correct and the data currently in the account is not, then I'd suggest just moving the current data in your 1password.com account vault to the trash, then using the steps Corey_C gave to move the data back over into your account.

• dbintune
    dbintune
    Community Member

OK. Thanks for your help.

• djbruestle
    djbruestle
    Community Member

So, no success with activating membership on iPad2. Could this be an iOS out-of-date problem? iPad2 is running iOS 9.3.5. e.g. the sign-in address field does not populate properly when I scan in my account details. But, even when I correct all the fields and/or type them in manually I get the same result. A red warning banner shows up saying “check e-Mail and secret key.”

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@djbruestle - ah, yes, that definitely isn't going to work. 1Password accounts on iOS require 1Password 7 for iOS, and 1Password 7 for iOS requires iOS 12. So an older iPad you can't update past 9.3.5 will never work for these purposes. :( The only way you're going to be able to migrate that data from the iPad into a 1password.com account would be to set up syncing for the vault on the iPad, then on a Mac that's running 1Password 7 for Mac, sync to that same vault so it appears in 1Password on the Mac, then transfer the data from the synced vault into the 1password.com vault.

This discussion has been closed.