Changed MasterPassword but it still wants previous one

Options

I changed the master password in the 1PW Account (Hans) item from let's say AAA to BBB. When I start 1pw (on my desktop) i don't need to specify a password. When i log into my.1password.com it will not accept the master password associated with the item (BBB) but wants the previous value (AAA). I believe that if i need to log into my 1pw on the desktop it will use BBB. Am confused!

There is a 1password Angelbits inc installed as 1Password 7. Don't know what the former is.

I have not yet uninstalled 1pw 4, but when i do, can i remove angelkey database? Currently the icons shown on the taskbar line include one for 1pw but it deals with the 1pw4 version. Previously i have seen one which looked like the mini display for 1pw7, but that is now gone. Any reason?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 7?
OS Version: W10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Problem with master password

Comments

• Hello, @hjhermans!

When i log into my.1password.com it will not accept the master password associated with the item (BBB) but wants the previous value (AAA). I believe that if i need to log into my 1pw on the desktop it will use BBB.

This sounds like you changed the Master Password for your standalone vault, but not your 1Password account. To change your Master Password for your account, you can follow the instructions here:

https://support.1password.com/change-master-password/

This also brings up a concern that you may not have 1Password 7 set up the way you want. When you sign in on 1Password.com, then click All Vaults, do you see all of your data? This will let me know if you imported your data into your account yet, which will help me both figure out if you do have things set up properly and if it's safe to go ahead and uninstall 1Password 4 and remove your Agile Keychain. :+1:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Guess you were right. Didn't know I had two different accounts. However that is fixed now.
    RIght now i have two vaults, my account vault (guess it is named Hans) which i created when i upgraded to 1pw7, and the old vault which i have also imported to the former. When i open my pc 1password i can open both of these vaults. I looks like all the data in the AgileKeyChain vault has been imported to the opvault (the imported items were tagged with the import date). When i open my vault on the web (my.1password.com) i only see the equivalent of the opvault but without the ability to edit any of the items unless i go the opvault on my pc. So, i think that all is correct and i should be able to get rid of 1pw4 and the associated AgileKeyChain vault on my pc. Let me know.

One item, log on 1pw support, goes to discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin which then displays all my postings under the name 'hjhermans' which is the name associated with the purchased 1pw4 licence. I don't seem to be able to get my postings any other way which is strange. I would assume that i should be able to see them associated with my account (which does not use the hjhermans name). How do i go to support in such a way that any postings i make will go under whatever name you guys have for my account. (should be Hans i think)?

Two other questions which i asked previously but have not been answered:
    - How can I permanently remove an item which currently is in the 'trash' category?
    - 1pw4 displayed an icon on the taskbar which a few days ago appeared to allow me to open my local vault and also has the 'mini display' (don't know how to better define it) which looks the same as the extension on Chrome. Now the icon goes back to the 1pw4 app. Don't understand but want to know how to get the correct (1pw7) version to display there.

In the meantime, thanks for the help.

• I think you're in a good place to uninstall 1Password 4, @hjhermans, so I'd go ahead and do that. I still have some setup concerns with 1Password 7, though, and I think the best way to address those would be to grab some diagnostics:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Don't post these here, but do attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include a link to this thread and your forum username. That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  For bonus points, post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :+1:

As for your other questions,

How can I permanently remove an item which currently is in the 'trash' category?

Right-click the trash and select "Empty trash". There is an issue with the UI refreshing with this right now so it will look like the trash isn't empty until you lock and unlock 1Password. I promise, it'll go away, but we need to fix up a little issue before it will look like it did right away. Sorry! 🙏

Now the icon goes back to the 1pw4 app. Don't understand but want to know how to get the correct (1pw7) version to display there.

When you uninstall 1Password 4, you should see 1Password 4's mini there. If you click the ^ by your clock, you'll see a 1Password icon you can click to show mini. If you want, you can drag that icon to your taskbar for easier access. :chuffed:

Finally, your forum account. This is separate from your 1Password account. Some folks who come here don't use 1Password yet. Others have only a standalone vault and not an account. For that reason, your forum account is its own thing and isn't associated with your 1Password account. What you're seeing is okay and totally normal. If we need to look up anything in our records, we'll use your e-mail address to ensure we're finding the right thing and most of that sort of thing will be done via e-mail anyway because we need to verify your identity and make sure we're protecting your privacy anyway, rather than discussing any specifics about your account on the forum. I'd leave your forum account alone – it's totally fine as it is. :+1:

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Have uninstalled 1pw4. No problem. Still have the agilekeychain in my database and can see that vault in 1pw7.
    Took Diagnostic report and send email as requested. Title in email has name of this thread.
    See that i can clear trash category, but not individual items. Not a problem. Thanks.
    After uninstalling 1pw4 and rebooting the 1pw icon for 1pw7 appears. Guess the 1pw4 and 1pw7 conflicted.
    Let me know if you see anything wrong in the diagnostic report.
    Thanks

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Diagnostic report: support ID is [#VZN-32485-176]

• I found your report, @hjhermans, thank you! I do see what looks like a teeny issue, but I want to spend some time with your diagnostics and make sure I'm covering my bases, so I'm going to finish up here in the forum and then I'll dive in and send you any questions or thoughts I have via e-mail once I've had a thorough look over things. :+1: For the moment, don't stress. It's not anything major and you should be fine to keep using 1Password as it stands.

• hjhermans
    hjhermans
    Community Member
    Options

Fine. I don't know the meaning of stress. Only time i think i've heard of it is when my wife was trying to see if my pants still fit.

• :lol: :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.