To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Lost two factor auth [contact support@1password.com from account's registered email address]

lwQin
lwQin
Community Member
edited April 2019 in Memberships

View 1Password Approved Answer

I restore my phone last night but I forgot to backup Authenticator. Then I can't sign in my account in website and phone now.

Please help me to reset the tow factor auth. Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.2.1
Extension Version: 7.2.1
OS Version: OS X 10.14
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• mukkacow
    mukkacow
    Community Member

If you have lost access to your two-factor authentication app, you will not be able to access 1Password on a new device so try accessing from an authorized browser and disable the 2FA. If you don't have this possibility and you didn't use an app like e.g. Authy that backups your TOTP secret I'm pretty sure you've locked yourself out of your 1Password account forever.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Yes, having an authorised web browser would let you turn off 2FA yourself. But even without an authorised browser you aren't completely locked out. Turning off 2FA is one of the few things that AgileBits can help a user with.

• If you do not have any authorized devices from which you can access your account and disable 2FA please email us at support+forum@1password.com. Post the support ID that you get back from BitBot here, so that we can get you in touch with our security team.

Thanks.

Ben

• lwQin
    lwQin
    Community Member

Hi Ben, my support ID is [#RDJ-28736-131]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. We'll get back to you as soon as we're able.

ref: RDJ-28736-131

• BartZ
    BartZ
    Community Member

Hi,
    I am in the same situation. How long does it take to reset account? I use 1Password in my work. Lack of access to the account is very problematic to me. I have a backup of my data. I just want to have access to the account again. My support ID is [#YRS-21867-864].

• Hi @BartZ

The process can take a few days. I’ll verify your ticket was routed to the appropriate folks so they can start the process ASAP with you. Thanks.

Ben

• d_h_m
    d_h_m
    Community Member

Hi! I unfortunately have the same problem... My support ID is [#RGJ-78579-619]. Thank you very much for your help!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@d_h_m: Thanks for getting in touch! It sounds like you setup two-factor authentication as an additional security measure to prevent someone with your account credentials but NOT the one-time password from being able to access your account...but it sounds like you may have also locked yourself out now as a result. Is that correct? If so, we may be able to help, but it can a number of days to do so, since there's a verification process and changes that need to be made to your account if everything checks out.

If you are temporarily away from the device where your authentication code is generated, it may be best to wait until you have access to that device again. Alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile on 1Password.com in a browser where you've already signed in previously
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again if you wish. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you're part of a 1Password Teams/Business plan, another admin could help you recover your account, which could allow you to regain access:

https://support.1password.com/recovery

Otherwise, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, we'll need you to answer some questions before we can proceed. I'll also follow up with you via email shortly just in case.

ref: RGJ-78579-619

• solowatch
    solowatch
    Community Member

Hi I am also having the same problem. How should I start to get some help?

• solowatch
    solowatch
    Community Member

My support ID is [#EVK-62568-717]

• Hey @solowatch I'm sorry that you're seeing this problem too! We'll continue the conversation over email :+1:

• erick_duarte
    erick_duarte
    Community Member

Hi. I'm in the same situation too. Can you help me? I speak Portuguese and I am from Brazil.

• erick_duarte
    erick_duarte
    Community Member

My support ID is [#UKP-99731-375].

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'll get back to you via email shortly.

ref: UKP-99731-375

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

Soooo, you guys can turn off 2FA on an account?

• Yes, though it does require a verification process through the email address on the account.

Ben

• jfkingsley
    jfkingsley
    Community Member

Hiya!

Managed to do the same thing through a rather impressive inability to backup my Authy configuration between phones.

Support ID is [#SJT-33189-715]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that. I'll get back you you via email in a bit here.

ref: SJT-33189-715

• TomSoftik
    TomSoftik
    Community Member

I have a new phone and I forgot the Authenticator app. Then I can't sign in my account in website. In macOS and iOS applications everything is fine, but I do not log on to the web. I wrote an email to support and I have SupportID: [#CMN-16561-744]. Can you help me, please? Thank you. Tomas

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Will do. I'll get back to you via email shortly.

ref: CMN-16561-744

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ben @brenty

Yes, though it does require a verification process through the email address on the account.

Can we make it so users can opt-out of this? Maybe when a users turns it on, there can be a box we can check to opt-out of this recovery? Even put s big warning if you want.

• It is not possible to opt out.

Ben

• prime
    prime
    Community Member

@Ben
    I figured, but can we make it so we can?

• I don't see how we'd do that, but I'll pass the thought along. :+1:

Ben

• Dhruv225
    Dhruv225
    Community Member

I have a new phone and I forgot to back up 2FA. Then I can't sign in my account in the website. In macOS and iOS applications everything is fine, but I do not log on to the web. I wrote an email to support and I have SupportID: [#WJG-23763-319]. Can you help me, please? Thank you. Dhruva

• Ben
    Ben
    edited March 2019

Hi @Dhruv225

Yes, our security team should be in touch by email soon. :)

Ben

ref: WJG-23763-319

• SBE888
    SBE888
    Community Member

My support ID is [#ETW-42847-614]

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks. We'll be in touch with you via email.

ref: ETW-42847-614

Alternatively, you could use a device that is already signed in, whether it’s one of the 1Password apps or a browser you’ve signed in with before. The code is only needed when signing into a new device/browser, so you could access your account on an existing device and disable it from there:

1. Click your name in the top right and select My Profile on 1Password.com in a browser where you've already signed in previously
    2. Click More Options on the left and select Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication.

From there, you can also re-enable 2FA to get a new TOTP secret and set it up again if you wish. Just be sure to save a backup somewhere safe.

Finally, several authenticator apps have backup and recover options. Authy is one example of an app that allows you to recover your 2FA codes if you lose your phone. You can find their instructions here:

https://support.authy.com/hc/articles/115012672088-Restoring-Authy-Access-on-a-New-Lost-or-Inaccessible-Phone

But even if you don’t use Authy, it’s worth checking to see if your authenticator app has options available for recovery.

However, if you're part of a 1Password Teams/Business plan, another admin could help you recover your account, which could allow you to regain access:

https://support.1password.com/recovery

Otherwise, if you won't have access to the device where the authentication code is generated going forward, or any other devices you've already authorized with your 1Password.com account, we'll need you to answer some questions. We'll reply to your email once we've replied to others who contacted us first. Thanks for your patience.

• Feisarxl
    Feisarxl
    Community Member
    edited March 2019

Add me to the list - catastrophic iPhone damage sigh and do not have any authorized browsers to access my account.

[#UYP-56416-499]

This discussion has been closed.