This copy of 1Password cannot open your data because it is already open by another copy of 1Password

drharry
drharry
Community Member

After upgrading to 1password 7, when I attempt to open I get the following message: "This copy of 1Password cannot open your data because it is already open by another copy of 1Password." Help. 1password 7 seems to work fine on my other Macs.

1Password Version: 7.04
Extension Version: 4.71
OS Version: OS 10.12.6
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:After upgrading to 1password 7, I get this message on one of my Macs - This copy of 1Password cannot open your data because it is already open by another copy of 1Password. What do I do now

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

Do you have, for example, 1Password 6 running on the same machine? If so, try closing 1Password 6 completely by pressing control + command + Q and see if you can the make progress with 1Password 7.

Stephen

• @Stephen_C,

It wouldn't be that. 1Password 7 has a completely different data folder from 6.

@drharry,

It would have to be that you have two copies of 1Password 7 on your system, and one is already running. It should show up in Activity Monitor.app already and if locate "1Password 7" in the list and click the info button at the top of the window it will open up a detail window about the process, navigate to "open files and ports" and it should reveal where the process actually lives on disk.

Rudy

• PeterTwohig
    PeterTwohig
    Community Member

What does 'where the process actually lives' mean? It's telling me that the data is in use by another copy of 1P, but I haven't got another copy running. How does knowing where the data is help?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@PeterTwohig - do you have backup disks attached to your boot drive? Time Machine, CCC or SuperDuper backups? "Archive" drives, or the like? That's going to be the most-likely culprit. What rudy was outlining was how to use Activity Monitor to determine where the process that's causing this issue resides on disk. From there, you can determine why you have this second copy and (hopefully) delete it.

• PeterTwohig
    PeterTwohig
    Community Member

Thanks for replying. Yes, I do have time machine, and I've found 1P on the activity monitor, though I have no idea what it means. Does any of this mean anything to you?

cwd
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/MacOS/1Password 7
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordUI.framework/Versions/A/OnePasswordUI
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/AgileLibrary.framework/Versions/A/AgileLibrary
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/B5.framework/Versions/A/B5
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCore.framework/Versions/A/OnePasswordCore
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDataModel.framework/Versions/A/OnePasswordDataModel
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordCommon.framework/Versions/A/OnePasswordCommon
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Resources/accountcode.ttf
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/HockeySDK.framework/Versions/A/HockeySDK
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/OnePasswordDatabase.framework/Versions/A/OnePasswordDatabase
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftAppKit.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCore.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreData.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftDarwin.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftDispatch.dylib
    txt
    /Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.aAKXcoiE
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftFoundation.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftIOKit.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftMetal.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftSafariServices.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftXPC.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftos.dylib
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/libswiftsimd.dylib
    txt
    /usr/share/icu/icudt62l.dat
    txt
    /private/var/db/timezone/tz/2018i.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
    txt
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/Assets.car
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Resources/emergency-kit/font/proxima-nova-regular.ttf
    txt
    /Applications/1Password 7.app/Contents/Resources/CourierPrimeBits-Regular.ttf
    txt
    /System/Library/Caches/com.apple.IntlDataCache.le.kbdx
    txt
    /System/Library/Keyboard Layouts/AppleKeyboardLayouts.bundle/Contents/Resources/AppleKeyboardLayouts-L.dat
    txt
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite-shm
    txt
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite-shm
    txt
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/SystemAppearance.car
    txt
    /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemAppearance.bundle/Contents/Resources/VibrantLightAppearance.car
    txt
    /usr/lib/dyld
    /dev/null
    /dev/null
    /dev/null
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword7/Data/Library/Logs/1Password/com.agilebits.onepassword7.log
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/.dbLock
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite-wal
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/OnePassword.sqlite-shm
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite-wal
    /Users/petertwohig/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data/B5.sqlite-shm

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@PeterTwohig - sure, but it's not particularly relevant. Please open Activity Monitor, click the View tab in the menubar (as shown below) and choose All Processes. Then, in Activity Monitor's main window, type 1pass into the search bar. Let us know what you discover. Or, better yet, take a screenshot of it, and post that here.

• PeterTwohig
    PeterTwohig
    Community Member

Thanks, Lars. Here it is.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@PeterTwohig - thanks for that. At this point, to get a better idea of what might be happening on your system, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

How to send a diagnostics report from your Mac

Please add the following code (including the square brackets) to the Subject line of your diagnostics email before sending it:

[#RIQ-64797-137]

This will link your diagnostics to our current discussion. I'll take a look and let you know what I find out.

For anyone else reading, please note: this ID is for @PeterTwohig only. If you’re experiencing the same issue and need help, please ask us for your own ID.

ref: RIQ-64797-137

• Amanda4
    Amanda4
    Community Member

Hi, I'm having this same issue. My screen looks the same as his when opened. How do I correct? Thx!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @Amanda4! Please let us know a little more about your setup, so we have a better chance of figuring out what's wrong and how we might help you make it right! Can you tell us:

1. The specific version of 1Password you have installed? (you can click "About" in the 1Password menu to find out).
    2. The specific version of macOS you're currently using
    3. Whether you see any other 1Password apps when you open a Spotlight search and type 1Password into the search bar.

Thanks! :)

This discussion has been closed.