1Password 7-Open new browser window instead of browser tab

Options
s_kawalko
s_kawalko
Community Member
edited June 2018 in Mac

I recently updated to 1Password 7. With 1Password and earlier double clicking on a login item would open a new browser window. With 1Password 7 this behavior has changed to opening a new browser tab. How do I get back the old behavior? FYI, I do not like browser tabs and I have Safari set to never open pages in tabs.

1Password Version: 7.0.4
Extension Version: 4.7.1
OS Version: OS X 10.13.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2018
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @s_kawalko! The setting you're looking for is right here in the 1Password mini. Click the gear icon at the top right for settings:

Just switch it to "New Window" instead of "New Tab" and you should be all set.

• s_kawalko
    s_kawalko
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you for the answer. As someone who rarely uses 1Password mini, I find that the location of this option is rather obscure. I associate the gear icon in 1Password with generating new passwords not as something I click on to get a menu of preferences.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@s_kawalko - thanks for the feedback. :)

• dmittman
    dmittman
    Community Member
    Options

I had this same problem, and this same solution worked for me. I'd also like to second s_kawaklo's comment: I rarely use 1Password mini, and would never have thought to look there to change this setting. 1Password7 > Preferences is where I looked, unsuccessfully. (I love 1Password!)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dmittman - I can certainly see someone being used to those preferences in a central location. They've been located within the mini because the mini is where you do your interfacing with the browser, but perhaps it's time to re-think that. Food for thought.

• DeepSymmetry
    DeepSymmetry
    Community Member
    Options

I would definitely like to advocate moving this to a more obvious place. I only found it in this forum after failing to find it in the 1Password preferences, the 1Password help files, and the Safari preferences.

• DeepSymmetry
    DeepSymmetry
    Community Member
    Options

(And this may be because I am a long-standing 1Password user, so I don’t really use 1Password Mini; I don’t normally even remember that it exists. I just always launch 1Password.)

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@DeepSymmetry - thanks for the feedback. :) It's certainly something to consider for future reworkings of 1Password mini/main app.

• Kirby_Krieger
    Kirby_Krieger
    Community Member
    Options

+1 for please move this to the Prefs dialog. Just spent over an hour trouble-shooting LaunchBar, 1Password, & Safari looking for a solution. Imho not having this available in the Prefs dialog (I didn't see it) is irresponsible. Has slowed my work for months; only this morning got around to resolving it. Thank you.

• @Kirby_Krieger,

It already is.

• Kirby_Krieger
    Kirby_Krieger
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the quick reply. I have 1Password 7.2.4 and I'm not seeing the same dialog:

• @Kirby_Krieger,

You'll want to update to 7.2.5, that's where it was added.

• Kirby_Krieger
    Kirby_Krieger
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

Thanks for your continued attention. I had looked to make sure I had the most up-to-date version before I began trouble-shooting, but did not find any standard "Check for updates" command or method. I just browsed the 1Password site and likewise found no "Download" or "Update" feature.

Searching the site brought me this page: https://support.1password.com/update-1password/

Unfortunately the directions are wrong (there is no "App Store" in the dialog " ▹ System Preferences").

Since I have the App Store version (confirmed at "1Password 7 ▹ About 1Password 7"), I checked (as I had on each of the last several days) for an update to 1Password. No update shows up.

How do I upgrade to 7.2.5? Am I doing something wrong?

I want to emphasize that I have followed all standard procedures — check Prefs, reboot, check for updates, consult mfr's site — and failed. Better put: the 1Password application, Help system, and Website all failed me. Afaict. I'm still willing to find out where my user error is, but at this point it seems 1Password would be advised to make some changes.

(Added:)
    OS 10.14.3

• @Kirby_Krieger,

Ah, you're using the App Store version; 7.2.5 has not yet been submitted to Apple for the Mac App Store yet. That would be why it doesn't show up as an available update.

• Kirby_Krieger
    Kirby_Krieger
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

It would have been so much more helpful — and left me feeling chummy with 1Password — if you had replied to my initial post with something like:

"That feature was just added to 1Password 7 and is available in the latest version, which is 7.2.5. That version is available to direct buyers here [provide link], but won't be available to App Store buyers until it gets Apple's approval."

Instead, your first response was, in essence, "You're wrong" — and I had to double-check and post back.
    Your second response was, "You're out-of-date" — and I had to double-check and post back.
    And finally your third response was, "This doesn't apply to you".

You have doubled the amount of time I've had to spend trouble-shooting, and have not helped me resolve my issue.

ref: KAL-97624-425

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    edited February 2019
    Options

@Kirby_Krieger - thanks for the feedback. Your points are well-taken; we can definitely always improve our communication, and I'm sorry you've spent more time than you'd have liked on this. To be fair, you found a thread with no activity on it for 3+ months, and replied to it by calling our UI choices "irresponsible." Goodwill is a two-way street. I'm glad you were able to find this thread to show you where the option to switch to new tabs or windows is located in your current 1Password for Mac setup, and hope you'll enjoy the additional location in Preferences > Browsers. If you have questions or can't get something to work the way you think it should (or can't find how to do it) in the future, we're always here to help, and it may save you some time to start here. Have a great weekend. :)

ref: KAL-97624-425

This discussion has been closed.