My Chrome browser extension for 1Password 4 stopped working...

Options

I noticed the browser extension was not working in Chrome and that my 1Password 4 noted that it was a trial version...I backed up the data from my existing password account as an AgileKeyChain_zip file and started a subscription account with 1Passport...when I log in to my new account I am unable to transfer the back up file to bring in my passwords...also I am unable to open that file to where I can even read the information to reenter into the new vault...this is so not user-friendly and I am now scrambling to try and remember 173 commonly used passwords...I also uninstalled the 1Password 4 and tried to install the 1Password 7 but that was unsuccessful.

1Password Version: 4.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:transferring 1Password 4 backup file to my 1Password account vault

Comments

• Hi @Barriejo45,

Thanks for writing in.

Don't use the backup files, they're meant for restoring within the same program and 1Password 7 doesn't recognize 1Password 4 backups at the moment.

Instead, have 1Password 7 use the same vault folder that 1Password 4 was using. Here's how; open 1Password 7, select the Folder Sync option and then select the 1Password.agilekeychain folder you're using. 1Password 7 will offer the option to upgrade that vault, so that you can use it in 1Password 7.

If you're not sure where your 1Password.agilekeychain folder is; the location depends on if you were using Dropbox to sync your 1Password folder. If you did; it should be in Dropbox > Apps > 1Password. If not, you can find it in the default location; your Documents > 1Password. If you can't find it in both locations, see if you can ask Windows to search for it. If it doesn't find anything, reinstall 1Password 4 and it should let you unlock it and you can find the path via File Menu > Reopen 1Password vault.

• Barriejo45
    Barriejo45
    Community Member
    Options

MikeT...

Thank you.
    I have located the backup file for 1Password 4 but I can't seem to find or open 1Password 7 in my 1Password account so I am still stuck I'm afraid...FYI, you are dealing with someone who is not very tech savvy:)

• Hi @Barriejo45,

I'm not sure I understand, are you saying when you try to open 1Password 7, nothing happens?

Try this:

1. Close 1Password 7 if it is running by right-clicking on the 1Password icon in the notification area to select "Exit"
    2. Open Windows File Explorer and enter the following in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password
    3. Rename "data" folder to "backup-data"
    4. Open 1Password 7 and you should see the welcome tour.
  • Barriejo45
    Barriejo45
    Community Member
    Options

I have 1Password7 icon in my taskbar of Windows 10...when I click to open it I am asked for my master password...I enter the same password as I have for my 1Password account but it will not accept it.
    Is there a work around for this.

• Hey, @Barriejo45! When you say the Master Password for your account doesn't work, are you using the Master Password for the 1Password.com account you just created? If so, have you tried the Master Password you used to unlock 1Password 4? If not, give it a go and let me know if that one works. It may be you added your 1Password 4 data to 1Password 7 and the password for that standalone vault is controlling your app. If you are able to unlock with this Master Password, let me know what you see in 1Password 7. Is it in read-only mode, for example? What about your data – is everything there? Finally, press Ctrl + D and list the vaults you see in your sidebar – that will help me know what all you've added to your app. Finally, if you see more than one vault, select each of them in turn and let me know which vault displays your data. That will let me know where your data is stored right now. From there, I should be able to help you get things set up properly. :+1:

Of course, if you aren't able to unlock 1Password 7 at all, just let me know and I'll take it from there. :chuffed:

• Barriejo45
    Barriejo45
    Community Member
    Options

Hey there...

Here it is:
    I have a 1Password X Password Manager Family Account that is attached to Google Chrome.
    I log in and right click on my name and select Get the Apps
    I then click on 1Password for Windows
    The .exe file appears in the download bar at the bottom of the window
    I click on the file and it brings up a screen that says Enter your Master Password
    I enter the same master password as I use to log into my 1Password X account and the key symbol turns from blue to red
    That's the frustrating sequence :)

• Thanks, @Barriejo45, that's a great help! So, it sounds like 1Password 7 might have picked up some old data. Perhaps you tried 1Password 6 back in the day, for example, and didn't remove the old data folder after returning to 1Password 4. That said, my next suggestion will be to remove that data so I'd like to make sure you're able to access your 1Password 4 data before doing that. Do you still have 1Password 4 installed? Are you able to unlock it and view your data? Let me know and, assuming you can still access it, I'll help you import from there. :+1:

• George1932
    George1932
    Community Member
    edited February 2019
    Options

I have a similar problem. Chrome extension for 1Password stopped working after many years of use. I uninstalled the extension and reinstalled some extension (not sure what - 4, 7 or X). Was not able to access my vault. Have been working on the problem with some tech person but we don't seem to be getting anywhere. Ref is [#QDT-64911-356]. I urgently need access to a working 1password app. Please help. My original email for my account was REMOVED but I am phasing out that email. Please use
    REMOVED

• Barriejo45
    Barriejo45
    Community Member
    Options

Bundtkate...
    During this whole thing I uninstalled Password4, although I still have the backup files, so I cannot view the data...I have not, yo my knowledge, used Password6 so I am just stuck with what I currently have.

• @George1932: I found your e-mail, but I removed the e-mail addresses from your comment as this is a public forum and I think we all get enough spam as it is. :wink: I really don't want to tell you to do anything here as that can cause a good bit of confusion. I'll be telling you to do something and my teammate that's working with you won't know that possibly leading to trouble down the line. What I will do, though, is I'll leave it open in a separate tab so I can take a look as soon as possible. I'll apologize in advance as it's kind of a busy day for me, so I probably won't be as speedy as you'd like, but I will make sure I can take a peek before I leave and at the very least make sure I leave my teammate a note with my thoughts.

@Barriejo45: Backups are adequate for me, in this case. That means we can recover your data by reinstalling 1Password 4 and restoring one of those backups if we need to. Here is what I'd like you to do:

1. Open you desktop app. You can do this from the shortcut in your Start menu. You do not need to unlock it.
    2. Choose 1Password > Exit.
    3. Open your Start menu, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password to search and press enter. This will bring up an Explorer window with a folder open.
    4. In this folder, rename the data folder to data-backup.
    5. Open 1Password from your Start menu again. You should see a blank sign-in form.
    6. In your browser, sign in to your account.
    7. Click your name in the top right and select Get the Apps.
    8. Do not download 1Password again, but look under Step 2. You'll see a blue button to "Add your account directly". Click that.
    9. This will fill everything except your account Master Password. Enter your account Master Password and sign in.

At this point, your account will be added to 1Password, but we still need to import your data. Here's how:

1. Choose 1Password > Import.
    2. Click "Agile Keychain or OPVault folder".
    3. Click Select folder. This will open an Explorer window like when you're opening a file in Word and the like. Find your old vault folder here. It will be named 1password.agilekeychain or 1password.opvault most likely. If you're having trouble finding it, open your Start menu and type .agilekeychain to search. This should list file paths for any Agile Keychain vaults so you can follow that path in your explorer window. If you don't find one, try the same thing with .opvault. Once you select your vault folder in the Explorer window, click "select folder" in that window.
    4. Where it asks for your vault password, enter the Master Password you used to unlock 1Password 4.
    5. Click import and let 1Password do its thing.

This should populate both your app and your extension with your data, but let me know if you run into any trouble, ok? :+1:

• George1932
    George1932
    Community Member
    Options

I followed your instructions. All seemed to go well. Step 5 did OK and I got a list of the data for all my passwords. However no extension appeared in Chrome and I could not download it using Chrome/more tools/extensions. Any further suggestions? I could use the list but that's not near a useful as the extension. Thanks so far!

• I actually had meant those instructions for the other customer here, @George1932, but since they're helping I'll take it. :wink: We don't install the extension for you, but you may actually have it already – it uses the same extension as 1Password 4. Open chrome://extensions and look at your list there. Do you see 1Password extension (desktop app required)? If so, make sure it's enabled, and see if the 1Password icon pops up in Chrome.

If you don't see that extension, you can grab it here: https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#browsers

Let me know if this gets your extension working. :+1:

• George1932
    George1932
    Community Member
    Options

OK - all seems well - have extension. I see that it has a different format and system but I'll make it work. Thanks for your help. One more thing. While I was working this problem on my own I got a requirement to sign up for something. Now sure what but think maybe it was version X. Can you tell me how to cancel this? I am now using 7.3.657 and seem to be fine.

• For that, @George1932, I'd suggest replying to my teammate you were talking with over e-mail and asking for some clarity about what you've signed up for and purchased. I can't give you any information about whether or not you've signed up for a 1Password membership here on the forum, for example, because we can't verify your identity here so it's easier to handle those sorts of things privately. Plus, if my memory isn't failing me, you were already in touch with one of my teammates, so they should be able to get back with you fairly quickly. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.