Error: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5)

I can not install 1Password 7.3.657 on my machine. I am getting a popup when I run the installer (even as Administrator) : Error: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5)

1Password Version: 7.3.657
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hey, @TrappMatt! We've seen a few cases of this, all a bit different. First, is this the first time you've installed 1Password 7 on this PC or are you attempting to update when you see this error? If the latter, try updating from within the 1Password app (1Password > Settings > Update Check for Updates) and let me know if that works.

If this is the first time you've installed 1Password 7, open Start, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password to search and see if you find an existing 1Password folder. If you do, open the app folder and let me know if you see a 6 or 7 folder in there. Thanks! :chuffed:

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member

Never installed before, the installer left behind \1Password\app\7.3.657

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TrappMatt,

Please try to do the following:

1) Open Windows File Explorer and go to %LOCALAPPDATA%\1password\logs\setup
    2) Find the setup logs there and send them to support+windows@agilebits.com

After that:

1) Download 1Password 7 installer.
    2) Close Edge or any other browsers completely.
    3) Run the installer.

Does the issue remain? Thanks!

++
    Greg

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member

I sent the log contents over.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @TrappMatt,

Did you receive a Support ID number? Please share it with me, so we could find your email on our side. Thank you!

++
    Greg

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member
    edited January 2019

Not yet, I just e-mailed that address and have not received a reply yet.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@TrappMatt: I don't see anything in the inbox from this address. Unless you sent it from another, it never reached us. It might be worth checking your outgoing mail. Either way, just let us know the Support ID you receive when you're able to email us (takes only a few minutes typically) and we'll go from there. :)

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member

[2019-01-17 09:41:42.347707 -07:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:196: starter 7.3.657
    [2019-01-17 09:41:42.347707 -07:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:197: Logging to : C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2019-01-17 09:41:42.347707 -07:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:264: Installing to: C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657
    [2019-01-17 09:41:42.556241 -07:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7 to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.old
    [2019-01-17 09:41:42.558246 -07:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657 to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7
    [2019-01-17 09:41:42.559253 -07:00] ERROR [starter] src\main.rs:106: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5)

Since my e-mails are not going through here is the log info.
    username redacted

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

This is quite strange, but I still can't find your email with logs. Please do the following now:

1) Check if you have 1Password extension installed in Microsoft Edge on your PC. Uninstall it, if you have it:

2) Uninstall 1Password 7 from your PC, if you see it in installed apps.

3) Open Start menu, type %LOCALAPPDATA% there, and press Enter.

4) Find 1Password folder there and move it (cut and paste) to your desktop.

5) Reboot your PC.

6) Run 1Password installer and check if the issue remains.

I will be looking forward to hearing back from you!

Cheers,
    Greg

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member
    1. No Extension
    2. Not installed ever
    3. Done
    4. Done
    5. Done
    6. Same error
  • Hi @TrappMatt,

That's extremely odd. If there is no 1Password folder in %LOCALAPPDATA%, why is it still saying 1Password can't access it?

The only thing that makes sense is that you have a security product blocking 1Password from installing.

Are you using 1Password on a work computer? Can you tell me what anti-malware solution you're using on your PC?

• TrappMatt
    TrappMatt
    Community Member

I use enSilo.

• Could you check logs in enSilo and see if it makes any mention of 1Password? If it does and you don't mind sharing (make sure not to include any personal info), please drop those logs here – it will help us better understand how we can adjust to play nice with these tools. Also, give installing in Safe Mode a try. Let me know if that works any better. Thanks! :chuffed:

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

I am also having this same issue. I have 1password4 and am trying to install 1Password 7. I have been successful on other computers. This computer is Windows 10 Home, 64 bit.

I do see a 1Password folder at %LOCALAPPDATA%\1Password . The app folder has 7.3.657.
    THe content of the log file is:
    [2019-02-24 13:25:41.693319 -06:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:196: starter 7.3.657
    [2019-02-24 13:25:41.693319 -06:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:197: Logging to : C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\logs\setup
    [2019-02-24 13:25:41.693319 -06:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:264: Installing to: C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657
    [2019-02-24 13:25:42.927656 -06:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7 to C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.old
    [2019-02-24 13:25:43.005775 -06:00] INFO [starter] src\main.rs:203: renaming C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7.3.657 to C:\Users\JennsStudy\AppData\Local\1Password\app\7
    [2019-02-24 13:25:43.021400 -06:00] ERROR [starter] src\main.rs:106: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5)

I do not see it in my installed programs.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lmjenn,

Please try to download the installer for 1Password 7.2 and let me know if it works. Are you able to launch it and install? Thanks!

• lvdl1985
    lvdl1985
    Community Member

Hi @Greg

I experienced the same issue with version 7.3.657.

Following your comment --> Version 7.2 installed correctly

Within the 7.2 app I get a notification that a newer version is available. When I click on this notification the latest version is downloaded. After that the app is closed and it seems like 7.2 is uninstalled. And then nothing happens anymore. The desktop shortcut to 7.2 is no longer working but the latest version is not installed either. When I try to manually install the latest version I get again the Error: IO error Access is denied. (os error 5).

I've now reinstalled 7.2 manually.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Sounds good. Please let us know if there's anything else you find!

• Hi @lvdl1985,

Can you email us your 1Password diagnostics report from 1Password 7.2, it will have logs from the 1Password 7.3 install failures. Please use this guide to generate the 1Password diagnostic report and email it to us at support+windows@1Password.com. Also, in the email, include the link to this thread along with your forum username, so that we can connect the email to this thread.

Let us know here when you've sent it, so we can confirm we got the email.

We're making more changes to our installer for the next update, we believe it will help some of the issues reported here.

• lvdl1985
    lvdl1985
    Community Member

Hi @MikeT

Thanks for your quick response. I emailed the report. Please confirm if you've received it.

7.2 works fine for now but of course I would like to use the most recent version of 1Password.

• Thanks, we got the email and will reply to it soon.

ref: JZY-42191-638

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

Hi @Greg
    Version 7.2 installed perfectly. I am also getting a message to upgrade, but think I will leave it for a bit to ensure this is working. The one thing I am noticing on this device, and on those that I have the app installed (iPhone, iPad) - I am not seeing 2 passwords that were updated today on a different PC. The old passwords are still listed.

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@Greg

Well, this is interesting......version 7.2 was working great, and then apparently it tried to update to version 7.3....and now nothing works. In the 1password > app there is now a folder for 7.old and 7.3.657.

What's going on with that version - and why did it just try and update itself??? Side note....I used version 4 for years - not one issue. This one I have constant issues and the online documents I keep finding reference to are no help. And I am an IT person.... I am still on the 30 day trial.

• 1Password 7 is set to update automatically while locked by default @lmjenn, so chances are that's what happened. It looks like you've run into the same issue as before and the update didn't complete. Go ahead and reinstall 7.2 again for now, but this time, choose 1Password > Settings, click Update and toggle off "Automatically update when app is locked". You'll still see prompts to update, but it won't update on its own.

Also, in the interest of something permanent here, any security tools on your PC that might block the installer from renaming folders? If you have any suspects, you can check the logs to see if they mention 1Password. If they do, whitelisting 1Password should help updates moving forward and allow you to re-enable automatic updates. :+1:

• MikeT
    edited February 2019

Does anyone here use IoBit tools? We can confirm that IoBits are blocking the 1Password 7.3 installers, shutting them down will allow 1Password 7.3 to install but we're not sure how to work around them right now; they're disallowing 1Password from renaming its folder for some odd reasons. We're still looking into it.

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@bundtkate - Thanks I will do your suggestions tonight. I have not found any logs referencing 1Password - I use McAfee Livesafe. Strange how it allows the needed renaming with 7.2 but not a newer version!

@MikeT - I will double check to see if any IoBit tools are being used on the machine I am having issues with....

• We've been making pretty consistent changes to the installer, @lmjenn, so it's not completely surprising that behavior would change. We've run into a number of different things that can interfere with renaming and what works in one case can cause trouble in another, so we've seen a few cases where 7.2 was fine and 7.3 wasn't. The trajectory was still towards fewer issues, but we've got work to do yet. Let us know what you find – we've got more changes coming and the better handle we have on what's causing trouble now, the better we can test those changes and make sure we're still progressing in the right direction. Y'all's help is invaluable, so we really appreciate it. :chuffed:

• lmjenn
    lmjenn
    Community Member

@MikeT @bundtkate
    Hi all - getting back to this! I have reinstalled 7.2 and turned off the automatic updates, so hopefully all will remain well! I am not using any IoBit tools on this machine. I do not see any logs of my security software referencing 1Password when I try and install version 7.3. Thanks for your assistance. I will try a future version, but at least I know I can go back to 7.2 if needed.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

We can't recommend sticking with the same version indefinitely, but as a temporary option that sounds like a plan, and we'll see if we can work with IoBit to avoid interference in the future . We're here if you need us. :)

• lynnlklein
    lynnlklein
    Community Member

Hi,

I was also running into the problem where, when I tried to install 1password, I got the "os error 5" message. However, I used the installer that Greg posted here on Feb. 25 and it worked fine. I am running Windows 7 Professional with Service Pack 1.

The first installer I downloaded -- which generated the error message when I tried to install it -- was called:
    1PasswordSetup-7.3.684.exe

The version Greg posted on Feb. 25 is:
    1PasswordSetup-7.2.617.exe

So I think the problem is that the 7.3.684 file doesn't always work for Windows (or at least for my version). Here's how I got the 7.3.684 file:
    1. Went to https://1password.com/ and signed in. That brought me to https://my.1password.com/home.
    2. Under "Step One - Install," clicked "Get the App." That brought me to https://my.1password.com/apps/.
    3. Under "Get the 1Password Apps," clicked "1Password for Windows." That started the download of the 7.3.684 file.

Thanks,
    Lynn

• lynnlklein
    lynnlklein
    Community Member

Uh oh... didn't read anything from this thread after Greg's Feb 25 post. Will see what happens -- if 1Password keeps working after updating! Fingers crossed!

This discussion has been closed.