can't edit web form details

Options

I recently registered a user account at Quicken.com. During the registration process I was requested to input a phone number as well as email, password, etc. The 1Password login information for this website somehow shows my email address in the web form detail labeled "phone". I don't see any way to edit this so that it is correct. I have gone back to the Quicken page that shows the details for my account. My correct phone number is shown in the field labeled "phone". I have tried to click on this field to tell 1Password to save in 1Password, but what happens is that a new login item is created with the phone number used for the username. Is there some way to get 1Password to indicate the correct information in the fields it calls "web form details"?

1Password Version: 7
Extension Version: 1.7.3
OS Version: OS X 10.12
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:can't edit web form details

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvmeush: Thanks for your patience. I'm sorry for the trouble! I've got a few Quicken accounts but am not familiar with the form you're referring to. Can you direct me to the URL? I'll be happy to test it to see if there's a workaround. However, you may find it easiest (and more useful going forward) to save a new login for the site at the page you usually use to sign in. That way 1Password can take you right there, and it should also be able to fill more reliably.

• rvmeush
    rvmeush
    Community Member
    Options

The "web form details" that I was referring to is from the 1Password login edit window. I'm attaching a screen capture showing similar information. In the form I was previously looking at there was a field labeled "phone" which contained my email address. I was trying to edit the information thinking 1Password had made an error in filling in the information. But I wasn't able to find a way to edit the information.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvmeush: Ah. Okay. You're referring to the 1Password for Mac desktop app. Web form details are modifiable. You'll just need to click Edit at the top and then go back down to Web form details. But it seems like the phone phone number isn't actually something 1Password is saving or filling. In that case, either your browser is doing this, or the website is saving the information itself, perhaps in cookies. We always recommend disabling browser autofill because it not only causes confusion like this, but also can be a security and privacy liability. So I'd encourage you to turn that off if you haven't already. Otherwise, you could use an incognito/private window to visit the website to see if it was remembering you, and/or delete its cookies. I hope this helps. Be sure to let me know if you have any other questions! :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@rvmeush: Looking again, I think I may have been been mistaken, and your screenshot is actually of the 1Password.com web interface. Sorry about that! While that does not have the advanced editing capabilities of the Mac app, the rest of what I said still applies if the phone number is not something 1Password has saved. Let me know what you find though.

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    Options

I am also trying to edit the saved web form details with 1PasswordX / the 1Password.com web interface, and don't seem to be able to do it. 1password.com and the browser extension are both capable of displaying saved form fields, and 1password.com is fully capable of editing an arbitrary json structure of fields, notes and other metadata, so I am confused why I cannot just edit the form metadata as well. Am I missing something?

This seems like a big feature gap from the Mac 1password that would be pretty trivial (in terms of engineering time) to enable.

Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@c__: You can't do that because it's not a feature the 1Password.com web interface has. I think it would be nice just for consistency...but that feature really only has relevance for users of the desktop app/extension since that works a bit differently, and they have that feature already. And if we can make that feature entirely obsolete, that would be even better, since we can't expect most users to fiddle with form data anyway. Food for thought. :)

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @brenty ,

You can't do that because it's not a feature the 1Password.com web interface has.

Right! I guess I should have been more clear: I understand it doesn't have that feature yet, but I want to do that, and I am trying to figure out how. But unfortunately, it seems impossible. I certainly wouldn't mind if the 1PassX extension gained object editing support (which it doesn't have today), including web form details.

that feature really only has relevance for users of the desktop app/extension

I don't understand why it isn't relevant for non-desktop app users. Sometimes 1passX saves the wrong form fields, or excessive form fields, and there's just no way to fix it other than destroying the entire credential and trying to save it again. That's a big gap! And it would be relatively easy to just edit like any other field, I think? Potentially hidden behind the same "show web form details" button it is today.

And if we can make that feature entirely obsolete, that would be even better, since we can't expect most users to fiddle with form data anyway.

Better for most, worse for some — it's always a tradeoff! That one may well be reasonable. Editing web form details can give power users a leg up in the eternal arms race between password managers and website designers intent on preventing users from using secure authentication. But it's true that most users probably won't use this option at all.

My particular case is this: an authentication form has a checkbox, checked by default, in addition to boring username/password inputs. The nasty thing about HTML form data and checkboxes is that unchecked checkbox inputs are simply eliminated from POSTed data. So if I save the credential with the box checked, that checkbox is forever persisted in the web form details. If I save the credential without the box checked, every time I fill credentials on that page, I have to manually uncheck the box. Because that input just isn't persisted in 1Password.

What I would like to happen automatically, which may be a more broadly suitable enhancement for 1PasswordX, would be to persist web form unchecked checkbox inputs in password forms; and obviously, uncheck them on fill. I think that would be useful for non-power users as well.

Anyway, I know you're full of good ideas and short on time; it's probably not anyone's top priority. Thank you again for the food for thought :-).

C

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Right! I guess I should have been more clear: I understand it doesn't have that feature yet, but I want to do that, and I am trying to figure out how. But unfortunately, it seems impossible. I certainly wouldn't mind if the 1PassX extension gained object editing support (which it doesn't have today), including web form details.

@c__: I'm sorry for misunderstanding. Indeed, it is currently only possible to edit web form details in the desktop apps. The mobile and web apps do not have this feature. It's something we may add in the future, but I do think it would be better for it to just not be necessary. It's a lot to ask of users.

I don't understand why it isn't relevant for non-desktop app users. Sometimes 1passX saves the wrong form fields, or excessive form fields, and there's just no way to fix it other than destroying the entire credential and trying to save it again. That's a big gap! And it would be relatively easy to just edit like any other field, I think? Potentially hidden behind the same "show web form details" button it is today.

I should have elaborated more, so I appreciate your interest. The web app does not fill at all, so it's not relevant there. And the cool thing/challenge (depending on the context!) with 1Password X is that it doesn't adhere strictly to that kind of filling model where you're trying to do literal matching of form fields; it's using machine learning and more advanced heuristics, so it just works fundamentally differently to the classic desktop app/extension's filling. Hence, web form details editing is really only relevant with the desktop app/extension, since it's what uses that information.

Better for most, worse for some — it's always a tradeoff! That one may well be reasonable. Editing web form details can give power users a leg up in the eternal arms race between password managers and website designers intent on preventing users from using secure authentication. But it's true that most users probably won't use this option at all.

Amen to that! And the real problem is that there are so many "creative" web forms out there and hacks we've done over the years to get 1Password to work with them, that even being comfortable doing the web form detail editing thing is not always going to have the expected result. So it's a pretty crappy experience for power users too, and we're probably better off finding a different solution to filling woes. :)

My particular case is this: an authentication form has a checkbox, checked by default, in addition to boring username/password inputs. The nasty thing about HTML form data and checkboxes is that unchecked checkbox inputs are simply eliminated from POSTed data. So if I save the credential with the box checked, that checkbox is forever persisted in the web form details. If I save the credential without the box checked, every time I fill credentials on that page, I have to manually uncheck the box. Because that input just isn't persisted in 1Password.

Okay, that's a pain. I'm sorry for the hassle there! It doesn't come up often, but I know how that can be. If I'm not mistaken (I could be because of the pace of 1Password X development, and because of the different public and internal builds in use), I don't believe that 1Password X supports checkboxes. But again, I may be getting my timeline mixed up.

What I would like to happen automatically, which may be a more broadly suitable enhancement for 1PasswordX, would be to persist web form unchecked checkbox inputs in password forms; and obviously, uncheck them on fill. I think that would be useful for non-power users as well.

I can see that. I'm not sure what's best since, again, it doesn't come up a lot, and it would add additional complexity. But I do think that's a good example of where you might want to make changes to the form data even if 1Password was able to save and fill flawlessly. Thank you for the example!

Anyway, I know you're full of good ideas and short on time; it's probably not anyone's top priority. Thank you again for the food for thought :-).

Nevertheless, it's really helpful to hear the specific issues you're running into. It's not something we're going to be able to tackle at this time anyway, but we'll be thinking about it as we continue to develop 1Password X. Seriously, thanks for being awesome! :chuffed:

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    Options

@brenty ,

I should have elaborated more, so I appreciate your interest. The web app does not fill at all, so it's not relevant there. And the cool thing/challenge (depending on the context!) with 1Password X is that it doesn't adhere strictly to that kind of filling model where you're trying to do literal matching of form fields; it's using machine learning and more advanced heuristics, so it just works fundamentally differently to the classic desktop app/extension's filling. Hence, web form details editing is really only relevant with the desktop app/extension, since it's what uses that information.

Ahh, I see, thanks! That makes a lot more sense to me now.

And the real problem is that there are so many "creative" web forms out there and hacks we've done over the years to get 1Password to work with them, that even being comfortable doing the web form detail editing thing is not always going to have the expected result. So it's a pretty crappy experience for power users too, and we're probably better off finding a different solution to filling woes.

Yep!

If I'm not mistaken (I could be because of the pace of 1Password X development, and because of the different public and internal builds in use), I don't believe that 1Password X supports checkboxes. But again, I may be getting my timeline mixed up.

I observed this with 1PassX 1.14 yesterday, so I think you've got your timeline mixed up. No worries. Here's a screenshot; apologies for the MSpaint quality editing. I'm not an artist ;-).

I can see that. I'm not sure what's best since, again, it doesn't come up a lot, and it would add additional complexity.

Yeah, makes sense.

But I do think that's a good example of where you might want to make changes to the form data even if 1Password was able to save and fill flawlessly. Thank you for the example!

No problem!

Nevertheless, it's really helpful to hear the specific issues you're running into. It's not something we're going to be able to tackle at this time anyway, but we'll be thinking about it as we continue to develop 1Password X. Seriously, thanks for being awesome! :chuffed:

I appreciate the candor, and keep on rocking on :-). Thanks!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

I observed this with 1PassX 1.14 yesterday, so I think you've got your timeline mixed up. No worries. Here's a screenshot; apologies for the MSpaint quality editing. I'm not an artist ;-).

@c__: Mea culpa (my turn!) I think I confused things, but in a different way.

Indeed, I just reinstalled the stable version of 1Password X to make sure we're talking about the same thing. What I mean is that 1Password X does not do anything with checkboxes. This forum's sign in page is an easy example:

https://discussions.agilebits.com/entry/signin?Target=

Regardless of whether or not there's a checkbox state saved in the Login item, 1Password X will not change it when filling. Does that make more sense?

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    Options

I think I understand now, thanks @brenty.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Great! Thanks for your curiosity and patience! :chuffed: :+1:

• mheynz
    mheynz
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any guidance on how to modify the Web Form Details in the latest release? I would like to remove/modify some incorrect fields and I'm having a lot of trouble.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey there @mheynz! Editing Web Form Details is currently available in the 1Password desktop apps, but not directly in 1Password X. What operating system do you typically use 1Password on?

• c__
    c__
    Community Member
    Options

There aren't 1Password desktop apps for platforms other than Windows and Mac, right?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@c__ – That's right!

• mheynz
    mheynz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn,

I'm on Linux so unfortunately there is no desktop app offered.

I did however find that if I click on Auto-Fill the first time, the web form details are incorrect. If I click on Auto-Fill a second time, it uses the correct web form details.

This is true for a number of pages.

I would really like to clean up the form details but I suppose the alternative option is to delete the login from 1Password and create a new one?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mheynz – That seems strange to me. 1Password should be filling using the same web form details with each fill. If the page changes, then filling may change, but I can't picture a scenario where that would happen on the same page (unless the developers made a significant edit, of course). Would you mind sharing the website URL(s) where that's happening? I'd like to investigate and see if I'm able to reproduce the same issue.

To back up and explain web form details a bit, 1Password takes the fields on the page when saving a new item and saves each field's HTML name/ID along with the values. That's the data that ends up in web form details. If the page significantly changes, then I'd probably create a new item if I was having trouble filling, but that's a rare case. I'm hoping that once I see the actual pages and save an item on my end, I'll be able to understand the issue a little better.

• mheynz
    mheynz
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @kaitlyn,

I have identified a reproducible page. I'll open a separate thread with more details for discussion. Thanks for reaching out!

I would still welcome the ability to edit these attributes in some way in the future.

Mike

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@mheynz – For sure. I don't blame you for wanting the ability to edit web form details on Linux. It's something that's on our radar, and I appreciate you sharing your feedback with us.

• Evil_Raven
    Evil_Raven
    Community Member
    edited December 2019
    Options

"Save in 1password"

extra fields that can not be deleted, only clear in the application, but not through the browser

application

browser

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Evil_Raven – Web Form Details can only be edited in the 1Password for Windows and 1Password for Mac apps. However, you shouldn't really need to edit Web Form Details. Is there something you're needing to edit inside the browser that you're unable to do from one of the desktop apps?

• Evil_Raven
    Evil_Raven
    Community Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

@kaitlyn - They should not be, extra incorrect fields are created and they cannot be deleted
    You have to delete the entire record every time and create it manually, so that there are no incorrect fields in the web form

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Evil_Raven – Ah I see what you're saying now. The remember field you're seeing is likely a "remember me?" type of checkbox. 1Password will document each field on the page, including checkboxes. Are you finding that 1Password is somehow filling incorrectly due to the remember field existing?

This discussion has been closed.