Upgrade to 1Password 7

Comments

• Stevehaneline
    Stevehaneline
    Community Member

Help. I have ver 4 with a local vault. Can I retain a local vault with ver 7?

• Hey, @Stevehaneline! I hope you don't mind, I split your comment off into its own discussion. You'd commented on a discussion about moving to a 1Password membership and I didn't want to create any future confusion.

You certainly can stick with a standalone vault in 1Password 7. If that's what you prefer, I recommend upgrading with a standalone license. You can find a general guide to upgrading here:

Upgrade to 1Password 7 for Windows

You'll see the first thing you do is open your standalone vault in 1Password 7. Once you've done that, click the link that says "Need a license? We have those too" when you're prompted to pay for 1Password 7 and you can purchase your license from there. After you purchase, you'll receive an e-mail with a link to your license file. Download that file, then double-click the downloaded file to apply your license. Finally, if you need to upgrade your vault to the OPVault format (1Password will let you know if you do), make sure to adjust your sync settings on other devices so they're syncing to that OPVault as well and you'll be set. :+1:

• selest
    selest
    Community Member
    edited February 2019

So whats going to happen when you discontinue 1Password 7????? you going to ask for more money for 1Password 11???? and then more money for 1Password 14?? When does it end????? This is absolute bull and complete greed. When I made my purchase of $50 at the time it included lifetime support, funny how all that lingo is no where to be found, interesting way to treat your client base..... now I have a useless password manager that wont work in my browser being forced to pay you money just to get it to work..... great.

• We can't know what the future will hold, @selest. Are we going to ask for another paid upgrade at some point? Almost certainly. It's impossible not to. Without paid upgrades, we can't continue to make even enough money to pay the folks who keep 1Password working. That's not greed, it's a basic requirement of updating and supporting a product that needs to evolve with the world around it. I can pay you $20 to mow my lawn and my lawn will look nice for a week or so, but to maintain my lawn, I'm going to have to pay you another $20 once it grows.

Obviously, that's not a perfect analogy. We don't need to sustain 1Password on a single customer's purchase and we can gain additional customers over time allowing us to keep things going, but we do that by continually improving 1Password and adding new features as well as by being here to help folks when they have a problem. Both of these have ongoing costs that exceed what we could reasonably make from new customers alone. Paid upgrades are one way that software companies across the board have found to allow them to pay those ongoing costs – from 1Password to Microsoft and everything in between.

Your license did come with lifetime support but it did not come with lifetime updates. I'm part of the customer support team and my teammates and I are happy to continue helping y'all with 1Password 4 for Windows. If folks are still using it 5 years from now, we'll still be helping them. We still help folks using 1Password 3 for Mac to this day. But continuing to support a product and continuing to update it are two different things. We absolutely will continue to support 1Password 4 and we'll patch critical security issues, but it's impractical for us to continue pushing out free updates for everything indefinitely. Plus, you absolutely can still use 1Password 4. Firefox, Opera, Brave, and Vivaldi will all work just fine with 1Password 4 today and may well continue to do so for years to come. It's your choice whether you want to upgrade.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@deepdvd: I'm really sorry I made you feel that way. I'm not certain of the specific context, but I will agree with myself in that a tweet, while you may happen to see it, really would not have a way of reaching even a fraction of the people to whom it would be relevant. We do not, however, keep customer information and use it to send unsolicited emails. Only people who explicitly sign up for the newsletter receive the newsletter. And I really don't think it makes sense for us to send information relevant only to users of an old Windows app out to all of those people, especially since such a small percentage of those people would have purchased that version, and even fewer would still be using it today.

We can (and do, though in limited circumstances), however, send email notices to 1Password subscribers since we know, for example, if they connect to the server with an outdated version. I realize that doesn't help you in this case, but it is something we consider.

I'm also sorry for the inconvenience of the situation though, and I'm glad that you decided to get in touch. That's what we're here for after all: whatever the reason, if you're struggling with 1Password about something, we can help -- even if that's just clarifying that the new Chrome signature is not supported by the old version. :blush:

This discussion has been closed.